Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Headquarters final say on my sumping issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 AM
JABFLHX
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Headquarters final say on my sumping issue

My story...I bought a 2017 CVO Street glide back in Jan or so...I ran it stock for a little while and the damn oil pump went out with 318 miles on it and fried the top end...While they were having to redo the top end I went ahead and put in a stage 4 on their dime. All I had to pay for was parts. I rode it for a couple thousand miles and then it began to sump or else that is just when I began to notice it...They put another top end in it and it did the same thing...They then put an entirely new motor in and once again it sumped...So in August they gave me an entirely new bike...At that time we held off on the stage 4 and I just rode it stock...it did fine, but then again I was afraid to ride it very hard...I put about 5k on it with no issues...They called me a couple of weeks ago and said that they were ready to install the stage 4 kit again that they were putting a BRAND NEW oil pump in...I picked the bike up on Friday and by Sunday it had sumped again...
So Harley actually sent down one of their tech guys from Wisconsin to tear the bike down.
HERE IS THE WORD I RECEIVED FROM HARLEY DAVIDSON HEADQUARTERS via their tech guy....The word I got from him personally was that all the parts were working just fine and that the installation itself was done correctly...He could only get it to sump when he rode it at high rpms for a sustained amount of time. What that consists of I have no idea. When the boys and I are out playing around, I can get it to sump before I hit the rev limiter in 5th gear (YES, that is rolling hard I know) but then again, thats why I installed the stage 4 kit...Anyways, he said that since they had put the new oil pumps in, I am the only one that has had the issue continue. I ride to aggressive for their liking. I need to either not ride so aggressively or return it to a stock CVO. He stated that the bike was not designed to run at high rpms for a sustained period of time...once again...whatever that means....What Harley has agreed to do is refund me the price and labor cost of a stage 4 kit and I get to keep the stae 4 kit...or return it to a stock CVO and I still get the parts and labor reimbursed for the stage kit...At this point my only hope is that FUELING or someone else comes out with an oil pump and cam plate that fixes the problem...Let me finish by saying, the dealership itself has been outstanding throughout this process...They have done everything possible to help out

The following 4 users liked this post by JABFLHX:
Bannana Boat (12-04-2017), Eccool (12-04-2017), G'day (02-23-2018), sportglide (12-14-2017)

Top Answer

12-02-2017, 02:37 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I hope they don't think it isn't affecting sales. This and the fluid transfer issue have me and my money sitting on the side.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Sounds like the new moco is sticking with their plan. They can’t or don’t want to fix the problem (too expensive) so they either say it’s the new normal or blame the end user. If I were you I’d get the refund and buy the fueling oil pump and cam plate and then drop an aftermarket Big Bore kit in there.

Harley has awarded their bids to the cheapest option and chose to increase the price to the consumer. As you’ve seen they just replace broken parts with the same inferior parts and expect a different result. It’s laughable for them to say a stage IV can’t handle being ridden fast, what’s the point of the kit then?

For me I’m taking my own advice and when the fueling pump is released (cam plate is on the market now) I’m doing things my way

Last edited by purpledeuce; 12-02-2017 at 08:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by purpledeuce:
lionsm13 (12-03-2017), sportglide (12-14-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Being from Wisconsin, I guarantee that tech knows what he is doing, and takes great pride in what he is doing. He is probably sick, that upper management doesn’t give a crap about bikes or bikers, and only cares about the bottom line. If he was CEO this problem would get fixed. Especially on a CVO, which costs as much as a Pony car. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You do have an outstanding dealer!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,818 Likes on 18,573 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Being from Wisconsin, I guarantee that tech knows what he is doing, and takes great pride in what he is doing. He is probably sick, that upper management doesn’t give a crap about bikes or bikers, and only cares about the bottom line. If he was CEO this problem would get fixed. Especially on a CVO, which costs as much as a Pony car. Good luck.
I guarantee that tech knows what he is doing, and takes great pride in what he is doing. He is probably sick, that upper management doesn’t give a crap about bikes or bikers, and only cares about the bottom line ... I agree that his ( the Tech's ) hands are tied!

Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Its just a matter of time or mileage that they all do this. Sorry for all the guys that bought the m8 and now are having issues. I find it laughable that the MoCo expects us(consumers) to buy this inferior product and not ride it hard lol. What happens to the next guy who buys a babied m8 used and rides it hard has issues and gets a bad taste about Harley Davidson. I thought the MOCO was trying to get the younger gen involved with HD products? If they keep putting out crap there may not be a new generation of Harley riders IMHO

Old 12-02-2017, 09:39 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,723 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Its just a matter of time or mileage that they all do this. Sorry for all the guys that bought the m8 and now are having issues. I find it laughable that the MoCo expects us(consumers) to buy this inferior product and not ride it hard lol. What happens to the next guy who buys a babied m8 used and rides it hard has issues and gets a bad taste about Harley Davidson. I thought the MOCO was trying to get the younger gen involved with HD products? If they keep putting out crap there may not be a new generation of Harley riders IMHO
I don't think anything has changed a Headquarters and they are playing the numbers game as usual.

Buying any Harley over the years has always been a crap shoot.
Heck the first Twincams had sumping issues not to mention it took them YEARS to address the cam bearing, cam tensioner, crank runout, primary tensioner, and compensator issues just to name a few. Same old Harley. My opinion.

OP: sorry for your trouble. I would return it to stock and take the money. Go with an aftermarket big bore later once the warranty runs out... or never change a thing and just ride it.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I can only echo the sentiments of everyone. Many of us buy vehicles of all types to be able to enjoy them, regardless of the individual riding/driving style we may have. I have purchased literally dozens of cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, watercraft, off road vehicles of all kinds, etc; over the previous 40 years. I have driven or ridden virtually all of these 'hard', at W.O.T. or high speeds for extended periods of time, with virtually no issues.

Well maintained would be an understatement, but fresh oil, filters (air/oil/fuel), quality fuels, etc. have always been a must. My Dad was born in the 20's, and knew the value of well maintained equipment. Fortunately I learned that as well.

So now HD is going to tell us we can install the SE parts, but can't use them? I will be seriously pissed if I start having issues and they tell me I have to ride like a Grandma. That is not why I ride.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:25 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

ok so you might ride at 4500 rpm in 5 th or 6 th gear for a long time how fast is that
im am thinking over 100 mph. I believe your bike should not sump period it is a real issue. I would suggest given the facts you should upshift sooner and lower your RPM
. we must deal with the facts bike wont work well in that RPM range for a long time , and i know you and i paid good money for our bikes, but i suggest you dont ride at high RPM for a long period until a solution occurs. it cant be that hard to live with 3500 rpm in 6th is 90

Old 12-02-2017, 10:35 AM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I add to the sentiments of feeling for your position OP. I also don't baby my bikes and never have. A well maintained machine is expected to do certain things within it's capabilities and limitations. An owner should never have to mitigate how they ride a high performance mcy like an HD with a stage IV, within those capabilities and limitations because of a manufacturers design defect and the MoCo should be shamed by this philosphy (of they won't be because of their ego).

I part ways in the thought process of a couple contemporaries on here, in that I personally don't think I'd return the bike to stock and take the refund when I can keep the stage IV AND take that same refund. If you choose to go aftermarket at least you have the higher end stage IV parts to trade or sell in helping to defray costs of the new AM parts. Inferior higher end for sure, but higher end nonetheless. And those should not fall into the category of restricted CVO parts that must be returned to the MoCo when replacements are ordered because they're not CVO specific.

Last edited by xnysgt; 12-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Headquarters final say on my sumping issue