Sponsored by:

New M8 2018 motor in my 2017 stage 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New M8 2018 motor in my 2017 stage 4

Bought my bike in Sept. 2016 .. ripped trans apart (stripped 3rd gear), got a new trans and case. Early sumping, so early we were not sure what was going on and dealer was calling foul, cause when I gave it to them it was fine. Had the latest and greatest oil pump put in about a month and half ago after the bulletin came out. This last time I proved it sumped w an engine that melted the dip stick off, and speed sensor melted off. Milwaukee said to send the dip stick and speed sensor over night.. the call came back for new engine and stage 4, they never tore my old one down, we predicted 340+ degrees after parked and heat soaked, cause I had 310 degrees when I dropped it off, and dipn stick was still there. I questioned about leaving the stage 4 off, but after further thought w advisor, If Milwaukee thought it was the stage 4, they'd say lets wait on that and just put the 114ci in.. Got a new engine w my stage 4 kit 10k+ on Milwaukee's dime this past Friday. It does appear to be stronger than before so rumors may be true about the M8 2018 engines feel stronger, or I had minimal sumping all the time?? I feel good about this engine, it just feels right, and pulls beautifully. Time will tell!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,490 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Said to say but this is becoming too common place with the M8's. HD has to step up there game and fix this and stop the free fall this is putting the M8 reputation in currently. Glad they at least got you a new engine and back on the road.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra61 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe my engine was sent back because of vin# .. you and I can only hope they tear it down to see what they may not know already.
Thanks I'm glad for the new engine as well.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,918 Likes on 3,288 Posts

The moco and their engineeers know damn well what the problem is. Right now we're at a point where they are trying to figure out how many bikes will fail and if a recall is necessary. The last thing they want is a recall, it' will be in the $10's of millions to recall every 2017 M8.

No different than car manufactures. remember when GM knew they had a throttle sticking issue and decided the recall value over the value of paying lawsuits for individuals that get killed as a result. It's all about the coin.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Said to say but this is becoming too common place with the M8's. HD has to step up there game and fix this and stop the free fall this is putting the M8 reputation in currently. Glad they at least got you a new engine and back on the road.
I don't see HD's reputation in a free fall. Too many unaware owners, and too many fanboys that simply don't care unless their bike is affected.

My bike doesn't sump, but the problem concerns me as much as the transfer problem that my bike has plenty of.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
I don't see HD's reputation in a free fall. Too many unaware owners, and too many fanboys that simply don't care unless their bike is affected.

My bike doesn't sump, but the problem concerns me as much as the transfer problem that my bike has plenty of.
I would argue that steadily falling revenue would be a free fall. Polaris has reported a steady increase, even if it is a small increase. Way better than a 17% loss, which I think was the last estimate I read on harley's quarterly.

Now, cant say if the falling sales are due to customer confidence in harley brand or just that millennials don't want to buy 30k bikes.

Last edited by teedoff65; 11-01-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
The moco and their engineeers know damn well what the problem is. Right now we're at a point where they are trying to figure out how many bikes will fail and if a recall is necessary. The last thing they want is a recall, it' will be in the $10's of millions to recall every 2017 M8.

No different than car manufactures. remember when GM knew they had a throttle sticking issue and decided the recall value over the value of paying lawsuits for individuals that get killed as a result. It's all about the coin.
Yep......... I truly believe this is 110% factual. I find it difficult to believe that the engineers dont have a good idea whats wrong. Eventually, this problem might just fade away......

Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
Bought my bike in Sept. 2016 .. ripped trans apart (stripped 3rd gear), got a new trans and case. Early sumping, so early we were not sure what was going on and dealer was calling foul, cause when I gave it to them it was fine. Had the latest and greatest oil pump put in about a month and half ago after the bulletin came out. This last time I proved it sumped w an engine that melted the dip stick off, and speed sensor melted off. Milwaukee said to send the dip stick and speed sensor over night.. the call came back for new engine and stage 4, they never tore my old one down, we predicted 340+ degrees after parked and heat soaked, cause I had 310 degrees when I dropped it off, and dipn stick was still there. I questioned about leaving the stage 4 off, but after further thought w advisor, If Milwaukee thought it was the stage 4, they'd say lets wait on that and just put the 114ci in.. Got a new engine w my stage 4 kit 10k+ on Milwaukee's dime this past Friday. It does appear to be stronger than before so rumors may be true about the M8 2018 engines feel stronger, or I had minimal sumping all the time?? I feel good about this engine, it just feels right, and pulls beautifully. Time will tell!
Do you know if they installed the new stage 4 kit with the oil pump that came with the new engine? Or did they make a change to the oil pump when they installed the stage 4 kit?

I'm in the same spot as you but decided to hold off on the stage 4 (the regional HD Rep recommended I wait although he said he would do the install right now if I really wanted it).

I've ridden the 3rd engine (2018 case) in stock 114 form. Planning to do the stage 4 kit during the winter on HD's dime since the first 2 engines were already stage 4. But curious how they handled the oil pump in your stage 4 build. Did they leave it with the latest factory oil pump or did they upgrade it? Any part #s?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Do you know if they installed the new stage 4 kit with the oil pump that came with the new engine? Or did they make a change to the oil pump when they installed the stage 4 kit?

I'm in the same spot as you but decided to hold off on the stage 4 (the regional HD Rep recommended I wait although he said he would do the install right now if I really wanted it).

I've ridden the 3rd engine (2018 case) in stock 114 form. Planning to do the stage 4 kit during the winter on HD's dime since the first 2 engines were already stage 4. But curious how they handled the oil pump in your stage 4 build. Did they leave it with the latest factory oil pump or did they upgrade it? Any part #s?

I do not know the part # of this pump, it came in the 2018 w my VIN stamped on the 114ci complete, and used that same pump in the 117ci Stage IV which was built on the bench at dealer. They said the Stage IV does not come w a different pump as what they are putting in from MoCo 114ci.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
I do not know the part # of this pump, it came in the 2018 w my VIN stamped on the 114ci complete, and used that same pump in the 117ci Stage IV which was built on the bench at dealer. They said the Stage IV does not come w a different pump as what they are putting in from MoCo 114ci.
Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: New M8 2018 motor in my 2017 stage 4