Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A suggestion for the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If the trans oil is migrating into the primary thru the rod that move the clutch pak, wouldn't a valve stem spring loaded type seal cure that?.,,,

The following users liked this post:
metalb00 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:34 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
If the trans oil is migrating into the primary thru the rod that move the clutch pak, wouldn't a valve stem spring loaded type seal cure that?.,,,
Nah, just need to add some stop leak.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

The longer this migration issue goes unfixed the more convinced I am that the design and mechanical engineers that developed this transmission DO KNOW what is causing this issue. To believe that after this long (9 or 10 months) since it was reported in this forum alone and no solution has been found is just not believable.
After this long, any sane person would have to conclude that the real reason they have not announced a fix is because of cost. They simply do not want to spend the money to fix the fluid migration on the bikes that have shipped in the last 12 or 13 months.

My guess is that they are hoping and gambling that riders will continue to buy new bikes and believe that they will be fixed if something goes wrong. They "might" be fixed unless it costs a lot of money to remedy it, in which case they will gloss over it and claim the problem to be normal. To tell new owners that they should check their transmissions every 1000 miles is outrageous. I say to either fix the sobs or buy em back. If they had to start buying them back I can almost guarantee that a "fix" would be released pretty damn quick.

If we are ever going to get our transmission fixed it will have to happen because people quit buying their new touring bikes. Remember that as far as we know the new soft tails are not transferring fluid because they don't have hydraulic clutches in them. Hydraulic clutches are the common denominator in the oil transfer bikes.

The Feds don't get involved in recalls unless there is a "Safety Issue". I have not heard of an instance where a transmission has actually locked up and the resulting skid led to personal injury or death for the rider. It may have occurred already and we just don't know about it yet. The manufacturers tend to sit on those kinds of lawsuits pretty tightly. The preferred method being to settle out of court and clamp a lid on everything. Unless owners develop some "outrage" and complain to dealers about this issue it will be sweep under the carpet and forgotten about. If enough dealers complain to the MOCO about customer feedback and problems, that might swing the pendulum in our favor. As of 5 days ago I have now sucked out primary fluid a total of 4 times and put it back into the transmission where it came from. I did not buy a new motorcycle to have to work and watch it all the time.

Last edited by Retrop; 11-15-2017 at 10:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Retrop:
103Eagle (11-16-2017), Eccool (11-16-2017), jpooch00 (11-21-2017), Peak Seaker (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Can't seal it; the primary vents through the transmission mainshaft where the clutch pushrod is located.

The cable clutch setups used to have an oil slinger that are not present in the hydraulic setups.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

A cable conversion to test as a "fix" would be telling, but I certainly woudn't want to be the guinea pig and then there's the warranty issue.

Will be interesting to see feedback on the 18 Softails as they are cable clutch. Bet they don't transfer. Wouldn't be surprising that's why they are cable.

TomcatCV62 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,481 Likes on 4,054 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
**** like this (the MOCO response) is precisely why I left Harley after four + decades and now ride an Indian.

Originally Posted by jgos929
Yet for some reason you can’t get yourself to leave the Harley forum. Weird

Eccool (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Yet for some reason you can’t get yourself to leave the Harley forum. Weird
I like the product. Just don’t have any faith in the producer. I don’t visit here for the MOCO, I visit for the interaction with the people I’ve gotten to know here over the years. Fortunately for me, I don’t need, nor do I seek your approval.

The following 6 users liked this post by IronAss:
lh4x4 (11-15-2017), LoneWoolf (11-16-2017), metalb00 (11-28-2017), Ron750 (11-17-2017), splattttttt (11-26-2017), Steve Helton (11-29-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:44 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The Motor Company, in its Technical Article #TA0022, released in October, clearly stated three things:

1. Owners are experiencing a "higher than expected" oil migration from the transmission to the primary chaincase. Higher than expected, because the expected amount is zero.

2. They do not know what is causing this migration.

3. They do not have a fix for this migration.

So, the "Official" solution is for owners to check their transmission oil levels every 1,000 miles, and top off as necessary. If the transmission is losing more than 5 ounces every 5,000 miles, then contact your dealer.

Keep in mind, the oil change interval for the transmission is 20,000 miles. So the MoCo is telling M8 owners to check their transmission oil level nineteen times between oil changes. If 5 ounces per 5,000 miles is now "acceptable", then that's 20 ounces from one fill to the next fill. The transmission holds 28 ounces. So it's now fully acceptable for the transmission to almost empty itself between changes, as long as you check it frequently.
I must be one of the lucky ones then. Otoh, I drained all the MO CO oil at 250 miles and switched to Redline. So far, so good. I check it once a week.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

All that I know is that last year alone I put over 10,000 miles on my 17 RGS and not one drop of oil migrated from the trans to the primary. Not many miles on my 18 Fat Bob 114 M8 yet.

With the complaints in the past on scissoring cranks, warped brake discs, trans main shaft bearings, cam chain followers, sumping, oil transferring and on and on just why with over 400K on over 30 H-D's why haven't I experience one single issue. I have touring the North American Continent in the past 15 years and have called Harleys the gas and go bikes. As they have always gotten me home every time. Well except the 17 Street Rod that a fuel pump went bad on my way to Laughlin River Run.

Could the care, maintenance and operation of the bike have anything to do with it? On this forum it is always H-D's fault. But I suspect that the ride it like you stole it crowd has some blame for busting crap up periodically.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-15-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I like the product. Just don’t have any faith in the producer. I don’t visit here for the MOCO, I visit for the interaction with the people I’ve gotten to know here over the years. Fortunately for me, I don’t need, nor do I seek your approval.
Approval for what? What part of our interaction up to this point led you to believe you needed some sort of approval for something? You have no faith in the manufacturer of a product or it’s product it produces so you jumped ship to another. Yet you still frequent a forum dedicated to the manufacturer of said product you have no faith in. You’re a hypocrit plain and simple. You claim to frequent the forum because you like the comradery yet you post negative comments in sections of the forum about specific products you neither own nor know anything about. Owning an Indian means every single post you make on here about a Harley Davidson product is null & void. Truth is you’ve probably lost friends because you bought an Indian lol!!!

Think of all the friends you could make back over on the Indian forum talking about a product you own and know something about or simply ******* on HD. Just makes sense

The following 4 users liked this post by jgos929:
badcooky (11-18-2017), DaddyKnuck (11-16-2017), Eccool (11-16-2017), fireman64 (11-16-2017)

Quick Reply: A suggestion for the MOCO