Sponsored by:

The Joy of Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default The Joy of Transfer

A good example of bad engineering and production and fantastic marketing and lies.

237 miles of idiot Harley transfer. Includes a 85 mile commute, 15 miles of city riding in Tulsa. The rest back road riding outside Okmulgee enjoying the weather last Friday.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (11-22-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:08 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Great video! Excellent music! The intermittent smoke adds to the tension.

Your down home dialog conveys your ultimate frustration.

If you're not, you should be in the Documentary Movie business.

Sorry for your agony. I'd be so fing pissed I wouldn't be able to see straight.

K5d9 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:53 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You have the cleanest primary fluid I have seen. That transfer probably keeps the primary flushed out of contaminants.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
You have the cleanest primary fluid I have seen. That transfer probably keeps the primary flushed out of contaminants.
That's because the fluid is brand new!! Only 237 miles!!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

That sucks so bad.. Harley needs to step up an fix this bs.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
That's because the fluid is brand new!! Only 237 miles!!
Is the existing 32 ozs of primary fluid also brand new? Think about it.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:02 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

How much oil did the trans take to fill?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

That was the transfer after 237 miles of riding after a complete 3 hole service using Amsoil 20W-50 in all three holes. The dip stick went from perfect in the trans to below the bottom mark. I didn't measure the amount that drained out of the primary. I feel 3.5 oz would have been good enough for government work.

I went a head and did a complete drain on the primary and junker trany. And refilled them. The video of the primary was of it completely filled with more Amsoil.

I've ran HD lubes, Amsoil, M1, Spectro, Lucas, Royal Purple ect. ect. If it's going to transfer it does not matter what lube or how you ride. Wife and I day tripped it to Bikes Beer & BBQ this year. We rode the crap out of it. I abused every single part and element on the bike. No Transfer,,, none. Speeds over 100 mph. Hard down shifting and braking with the crap HD none slipper clutch. Hard pulls, high rpms and massive tranny and clutch use. Again no transfer. But it had been transfer before that ride.

A few weeks ago we made a Talimena drive run. I would have ridden the mountain fast. Hell the wife and I have seen the sites a 100 times or better. And I've seen them a 1k times. Turned out that the mountain got socked in and you couldn't see 15'. No loss we were going to take hwy 71 from Mena back to Fort Smith. There is fun to be had on that road. But road repairs and striping crews runed that. So it was a slow ride. It transferred on that ride.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Damn dude, sell the bike and buy yourself a Yamaha, it's obvious you are miserable with the HD

Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
That was the transfer after 237 miles of riding after a complete 3 hole service using Amsoil 20W-50 in all three holes. The dip stick went from perfect in the trans to below the bottom mark. I didn't measure the amount that drained out of the primary. I feel 3.5 oz would have been good enough for government work.

I went a head and did a complete drain on the primary and junker trany. And refilled them. The video of the primary was of it completely filled with more Amsoil.

I've ran HD lubes, Amsoil, M1, Spectro, Lucas, Royal Purple ect. ect. If it's going to transfer it does not matter what lube or how you ride. Wife and I day tripped it to Bikes Beer & BBQ this year. We rode the crap out of it. I abused every single part and element on the bike. No Transfer,,, none. Speeds over 100 mph. Hard down shifting and braking with the crap HD none slipper clutch. Hard pulls, high rpms and massive tranny and clutch use. Again no transfer. But it had been transfer before that ride.

A few weeks ago we made a Talimena drive run. I would have ridden the mountain fast. Hell the wife and I have seen the sites a 100 times or better. And I've seen them a 1k times. Turned out that the mountain got socked in and you couldn't see 15'. No loss we were going to take hwy 71 from Mena back to Fort Smith. There is fun to be had on that road. But road repairs and striping crews runed that. So it was a slow ride. It transferred on that ride.
So two things...

First- You have transfer sometimes, but not always? From the way I read your post, it sounds like the harder you ride the less transfer you experience... Is that correct?

I'm still monitoring my oil levels. My initial indications are that I have some transfer occurring but not as much as yours. Mine appears to be 2-3 oz./1,000 miles but I've only got 2,000+ miles on the bike so far so not too many data points yet. I should have another 1,000 mile data point in a few more days.

And second - You said the video showed the primary after refilling. Is that correct? If so, it appears that you may be overfilling it to start. The oil level should be up to the edge of the pressure plate OD, not all the way to the derby cover opening.

GPHDXLC (11-21-2017)

Quick Reply: The Joy of Transfer