Sponsored by:

First impression: Hog Leverage adjustable clutch lever

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default First impression: Hog Leverage adjustable clutch lever

With all the fancy crap hanging off the clutch perch, I decided to let the dealership install the adjustable clutch lever I got from Hog Leverage. They were going to replace the clutch-side control module, too, but didn't have the parts in stock.

First impression on the new lever, based on 20 minutes or so riding home:
  • The finish is good, and the lever appears to be well made, and solid.
  • The adjuster **** is also solid, and the adjustment is clear and firm - no wobble at all.
  • At max adjustment, the lever squeezes all the way down to touch the grip, but the clutch disengages 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch from the grip, so there's plenty of clearance.
  • At minimum adjustment/longest throw, the lever sits a little closer than the stock one.
  • At all settings, there's a little slack - almost like an old-school cable clutch with some "play."
  • There's also a little "negative play" at all settings - I can push the lever away from the grip at all settings. I'm a little concerned that the spring may not last, but we'll see.
  • The lever isn't as long as the stock one, and the shape is squared off a bit more than stock, so the lever feels a bit square on the fingertips. I use the end of the stock lever, so I'll have to learn where to position my fingertips again.

I didn't spend a lot of time slow-driving, but the initial impression is that the lever will let me feather the clutch with a lot more comfort. I just took the Ride Like a Pro a couple weeks ago, and I'm still spending a fair amount of time practicing, so it's just a matter of getting used to the new lever.

Based on the short ride home, the squeeze pressure seemed to be a lot lighter.

I'll update this after the weekend's rides.

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,089 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Interesting.......I hate my Hydro Clutch because of the engagement point being so far away from the grip and the narrow friction zone. Do you have a pic of the new lever mounted on your bike?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:49 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

It’s one of the best investments I made

Old 11-24-2017, 09:58 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I just bent my lever until I got the friction zone where I liked it. Cost zero and looks perfectly stock except for the lever being closer to the grip. After bending I also had to reshape the cam lobe on the lever to retain the neutral switch function.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I just bent my lever until I got the friction zone where I liked it. Cost zero and looks perfectly stock except for the lever being closer to the grip. After bending I also had to reshape the cam lobe on the lever to retain the neutral switch function.
Interested to know how you reshaped the lobe

Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Interesting.......I hate my Hydro Clutch because of the engagement point being so far away from the grip and the narrow friction zone. Do you have a pic of the new lever mounted on your bike?
You just described the perfect clutch for me. Anyone know how to change or swap a mechanical clutch to get that result?

Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Before I ever got my new bike I read of people complaining that the clutch was hard to pull. Seems fine to me and no problem at all. Glad folks that have come to a solution to their issues are happy. I know I am happy with my non issue.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Before I ever got my new bike I read of people complaining that the clutch was hard to pull. Seems fine to me and no problem at all. Glad folks that have come to a solution to their issues are happy. I know I am happy with my non issue.
If you came from a 2001 the new clutch probably feels light ha!

Old 11-25-2017, 08:04 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
If you came from a 2001 the new clutch probably feels light ha!
I didn't come from an 01. It is just the bike that I can't let go of. Had a couple other Road Glides before I got this one. But I do have a Barnett Scorpion clutch in this old bike. Can't remember the spring configuration but lighter than heaviest.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 11-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:03 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Interested to know how you reshaped the lobe
Grind the profile as required until the switch functions, then file and polish until smooth.

Quick Reply: First impression: Hog Leverage adjustable clutch lever