Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:53 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I let the selling dealer do the 1000 miles service on my 2016 when it was new. I wanted to see how well this shop did their thing and was willing to pay $400 for it. One thing they did NOT do was to check and adjust torque on the front motor mount bracket screws. When I went over the bike after they finished, I found them loose with my torque wrench. So no, they did not check these, though it is on the schedule. And I seriously doubt they did very much besides change the oils and wash the bike under their pressure washer.

I've had similar experiences with car shops as well. It isn't uncommon in automotive world. This is why I avoid dealer shops as much as I can, by doing all my own work. Even with my new Chevy, that came with two free oil changes, I don't bother using those, I change the oils myself, 'cause I'm pretty sure that shop isn't doing it. Few years ago bought a maintenance package with a brand new GMC Yukon. Took it is for the first change. Got car back, pulled dipstick before putting a mile on it, and the oil was the same black stuff that had been in there an hour earlier. The service manager argued with me, claiming that even new oil is black. I canceled the remainder of my service contract and did it myself from there on.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I let the selling dealer do the 1000 miles service on my 2016 when it was new. I wanted to see how well this shop did their thing and was willing to pay $400 for it. One thing they did NOT do was to check and adjust torque on the front motor mount bracket screws. When I went over the bike after they finished, I found them loose with my torque wrench. So no, they did not check these, though it is on the schedule. And I seriously doubt they did very much besides change the oils and wash the bike under their pressure washer.

I've had similar experiences with car shops as well. It isn't uncommon in automotive world. This is why I avoid dealer shops as much as I can, by doing all my own work. Even with my new Chevy, that came with two free oil changes, I don't bother using those, I change the oils myself, 'cause I'm pretty sure that shop isn't doing it. Few years ago bought a maintenance package with a brand new GMC Yukon. Took it is for the first change. Got car back, pulled dipstick before putting a mile on it, and the oil was the same black stuff that had been in there an hour earlier. The service manager argued with me, claiming that even new oil is black. I canceled the remainder of my service contract and did it myself from there on.

Sad but true

Old 06-11-2018, 07:19 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default You're actually surprised?

Originally Posted by KrustyKush

What ya got was a $400 oil change. Doing the services/repairs/ mods - whatever - yourself is the ONLY way to know it was all done, and done right the FIRST time, every time, with no damage to your bike in the process, such as possibly blasting dirt and water into the wheel bearings with that pressure-washer you mentioned.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:11 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Wrong thread. Deleted

Last edited by robbie52; 01-29-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Befasthog
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues

Originally Posted by painey
I have a 2018 Road Glide Special, owned it just under 4 weeks and done 1600 miles.
Last saturday I did the 'Wreaths across America' run and had a great time. Got home, parked my bike in the garage and looked forward to doing a big toy run the next day.

Next day came, rolled my bike out the garage, started it, put it in gear and immediately felt the bike trying to pull me along without letting the clutch out! I stopped 50 feet from my house and noticed the clutch felt wimp and weak, tried pumping a few times and put it in gear, bike lurched forward and stalled, no clutch!

I pushed the bike back to my house, tried pumping the clutch again and managed to get it to just about work enough to get my bike into my garage.

I called my dealer and explained my woes, they immediately arranged for a tow truck to pickup my bike and investigate what had happened.

I called back later in the day and they told me the clutch slave cylinder had gone out and would have to order the parts from Harley tomorrow (Monday) and they should get the parts Tuesday and get the biked sorted and backs to me first thing Wednesday morning.

I rang them Tuesday to see how my bike was progressing, I was told 2 out of 3 parts had arrived but the third was on back order until Jan 5th. I lost it, after only having the bike 3 weeks and paying cash and then Harley not having the parts to fix my bike I was furious, lucky for me I have the General Manager of the shops private cell and called him, he said give me 5 minutes to look into this, to his word he called straight back and said they will rob the required parts off a brand new bike in the shop.

My concern is, why is a fundamental part off a new bike on back order? Is this a bigger issue that has not yet come to light?
Clutch

Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Befasthog
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2018 ultra limited low. After only 1k miles or so I noticed oil under the bike after stopping for gas. I headed back home and literally as I pulled into the garage I had zero clutch. Called my dealer and they immediately came out to pick up the bike. I explained to the service manager what happened. They inspected the bike and he told me there was no evidence of oil under the bike, but “what I had seen was probably the bike had (I’m not kidding here) burped coolant. He said that they would fix the clutch issue. I picked up the bike and received a notification from Harley that there was a recall on the clutch. I called and scheduled the bike for the recall. I went for a ride and guess what? Yea that’s right I got stranded again with the clutch. I know I should have not riden until the recall issue was fixed. So unfortunately the saga doesn’t end there. 4 k miles later “the new revised clutch” cramped out yet again today. This time oil all over the side of the right side of the bike ( which I now videoed as proof) I am so pissed at Harley. Man these guys charge top dollar for these bike. So including the original clutch this will be the 4th replacement on this bike in a year with 5K miles. How can I have any confidence in this bike not doing this again and again even with the recall “having sorted out this issue.” A couple of my riding buddies have had the same issues, but I’m 1 clutch ahead of them. Harley get you crap together and stop cheeping out on parts. Bottom line probably corporate greed sourcing parts out to the lowest bidder. Shame on you harley. Maybe my run with Harley is over.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Befasthog
I have a 2018 ultra limited low. After only 1k miles or so I noticed oil under the bike after stopping for gas. I headed back home and literally as I pulled into the garage I had zero clutch. Called my dealer and they immediately came out to pick up the bike. I explained to the service manager what happened. They inspected the bike and he told me there was no evidence of oil under the bike, but “what I had seen was probably the bike had (I’m not kidding here) burped coolant. He said that they would fix the clutch issue. I picked up the bike and received a notification from Harley that there was a recall on the clutch. I called and scheduled the bike for the recall. I went for a ride and guess what? Yea that’s right I got stranded again with the clutch. I know I should have not riden until the recall issue was fixed. So unfortunately the saga doesn’t end there. 4 k miles later “the new revised clutch” cramped out yet again today. This time oil all over the side of the right side of the bike ( which I now videoed as proof) I am so pissed at Harley. Man these guys charge top dollar for these bike. So including the original clutch this will be the 4th replacement on this bike in a year with 5K miles. How can I have any confidence in this bike not doing this again and again even with the recall “having sorted out this issue.” A couple of my riding buddies have had the same issues, but I’m 1 clutch ahead of them. Harley get you crap together and stop cheeping out on parts. Bottom line probably corporate greed sourcing parts out to the lowest bidder. Shame on you harley. Maybe my run with Harley is over.
Must be hydraulic fluid leaking onto the right side of your bike. Watch out it doesn't eat the paint off your lower frame!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:39 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

They could have slapped a new master cylinder and been good to go. The MCs on these are crap. Mine is on its 4th mc at less than 15k. Theyre shot gunning the slave and whatever the 3rd part is? Padding the warranty claim since theyre in there to bleed it anyways. It wont be the last one, thats for sure.