Sponsored by:

Crack in heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Wake up.My reply was not meant as serious.Of course Moco will fix under warranty.Post was sarcasm on HD service dept. typical responses.
Looked serious. You have to put a smiley face or something in there if you're going to attempt humor this early in the morning...

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:11 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lp
Looked serious. You have to put a smiley face or something in there if you're going to attempt humor this early in the morning...
My bad

Last edited by GTK; 12-24-2017 at 08:12 AM.
mjwebb (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:12 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
My bad
Nah, mine. Merry Christmas Sir.

mjwebb (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

It may have been caused by the ambient pressure difference from the transmission to the primary, thus creating a pressure differential causing shield to crack.

In all seriousness it should be covered. Keep us updated on final resolution.

mjwebb (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Thanks Everyone! I talked to our Service Department and they said "They all do that" so I called the MOCO and they said "Some crackage is normal and expected" and will be sending out a TSB to show how much is acceptable...Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Doshounds (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:26 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Thanks Everyone! I talked to our Service Department and they said "They all do that" so I called the MOCO and they said "Some crackage is normal and expected" and will be sending out a TSB to show how much is acceptable...Merry Christmas!!!!!!
THATS SOME FUNNY **** RIGHT THERE! Yep its normal. Haha I have ran vance and hines pipes on bikes for 20 years and they never cracked a heat shield. Buncha cheap *** ****.
i would hate to see there updated list of normal **** these days. I cant do much about it. But what i can do is never buy another new bike. The older ones always worked just fine for me anyway. Oh an they actually sounded like a harley without voiding your warrenty. But just as this podt shows warrenty is a joke anyway.
oh yea anyone reading this. Check your exhaust flange nuts all 4 of mine were loose as a goose i found yesterday. Im sure exhaust leaks are normal too on these new harleys. Buy god let my new tundra create a exhaust leak you can bet your *** toyoya would fix it. What does that say for harley.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 12-24-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:36 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Forgot to add. Marry xmas to you mjwebb. An suck a gaint santa ding dong harley. If yall had kids you would tell them its normal for all little kids not to get nothing for xmas. You buncha cheap jack offs. Would it have cost that much to just send this man a new set of cheap *** heat sheilds. Hell he cant change them his self cause it will void his warrenty. You would think they would atleast take care of him with the exhaust he is stuck with not by choice.

mjwebb (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Forgot to add. Marry xmas to you mjwebb. An suck a gaint santa ding dong harley. If yall had kids you would tell them its normal for all little kids not to get nothing for xmas. You buncha cheap jack offs. Would it have cost that much to just send this man a new set of cheap *** heat sheilds. Hell he cant change them his self cause it will void his warrenty. You would think they would atleast take care of him with the exhaust he is stuck with not by choice.
I'm sure they'll replace them under warranty, no big deal

Old 12-24-2017, 09:52 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'm sure they'll replace them under warranty, no big deal
They should but i wont be suprised if they dont. I have been doing alot of thinking lately. Scary i know right. But warrenty has been something very important to me since buying this new year production m8. But since letting harley service my bike and look for a issue i had. I have begin to think otherwise. Fact is i know several of the folks personally at my dealership and while there good guys there not great mechanics. The only one i would actually want working on my bike is the shop foreman. An guess what i have known him for years now and its very very rare he gets his hands dirty. Most of the time if you need your bike worked on its by some tech that gets paid 10 bucks a hr and hasnt got a clue. I turn wrenches for a living in the hvac field so im not dumb. But im far from a harley mechanic. I have called and asked several mechanical questions since i bought this new bike and have yet gotten the correct answer on any of them. What im trying to say is if your dealer is like mine and im sure it is your better off doing your own work anyway. 1. Because harley doesnt wannna pay for the parts anway. 2. Do you really want some kid fresh outta school making 10 to 15 bucks a hr wrenching on your 30k bike? I dont.
An im not bashing my dealership. Hell i have three in my area within 100 miles now and i wouldnt want any of them to do major work to my bike. So whats the purpose of warrenty. I know a retired harley shop foreman that works on his own now and actually gets his hands dirty now. He will cost money out of pocket but atleast i will know it wasnt done by some kid with no experience.
Hell its alot like hvac. The master (the ones that has been tested and knows what he is actually doing) doesnt do the work at all. He has apprentices and journyman under him that do all the work. An if you dont get lucky and end up with a good journyman which is hard to find your kinda screwed. Yea your unit may last 5 to 10 years but if it was installed right by the master or by someone as smart as him it would last 10 to 20. I know journeyman that cant even remember how to calculate super heat and sub cooling. An if your a hvac guy thats a must. An you can forget people taking pride in the work anymore. Ok im done rant over. Hope they fix you ****. I would be pissed. Hell i am pissed and it aint even mine. Haha

Last edited by hollandhunter; 12-24-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

HERE WE GO AGAIN, YOU AWOKE THE ZOMBIES!
Good grief is is just an inert chromed stainless plate with some bathtub clamps!

Quick Reply: Crack in heat shield