Sponsored by:

Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
What exhaust setup do you recommend for a Redline 468 cam that does NOT use a 2-1 exhaust system?
I would recommend removing the cats from the stock head pipes. That's what I did when I test cams with Steve Cole and it worked very well. We also used the stock mufflers with Fullsac 2" cores. I didn't like the exhaust note, but they made good power. I would say S&S MK45's or their Grand National or the Fuel Moto Jackpot mufflers would also work well.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I would recommend removing the cats from the stock head pipes. That's what I did when I test cams with Steve Cole and it worked very well. We also used the stock mufflers with Fullsac 2" cores. I didn't like the exhaust note, but they made good power. I would say S&S MK45's or their Grand National or the Fuel Moto Jackpot mufflers would also work well.
When you removed the cats did you cut out the cat section and reweld? Or where you able to remove the cat components and leave the header intact?

Old 07-15-2018, 04:08 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
When you removed the cats did you cut out the cat section and reweld? Or where you able to remove the cat components and leave the header intact?
There's a really long 1/2" x 18" Installer drill bit Store SKU #1000018540 you can buy at Home Depot for about $15 that will reach. I just took that bit and drilled around the outside edge of the cat. eventually it collapsed and came out. It is probably easier to do with the pipe on the bike. I also took a long burr bit and ground the crossover pipe to the left muffler down to the radius of the collector. Not absolutely necessary, but Steve thought it would help with the power. It makes it a little easier for exhaust to exit the left pipe.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

If you do take the header off ....cutting alone edge of weld is very easy. Put a witness mark on this one before I cut for the guy. Also was super easy to get cat out if you have a press and 1 3/4 3/4 drive socket. Pressed rite out! Did as STONECOLD said and ground the left side cross over pipe out to a smooth transition . Tigged it back up. We also were very careful on his bike not to cut wire ties on 02 sensors. Good thing he has gone back twice and never have noticed the front. weld on converter a bit different than stock. He is happy and it sounds a bit different than mine. Mine runs same ful sac 2 in baffles but mine has a cat.

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 07-15-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:07 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks FM for this insight

Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

It only took me 30 minutes to get it out by drilling around the edge of the cat. Why go to all this work?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

It only took me 30 minutes to get it out by drilling around the edge of the cat. Why go to all this work?
Sometimes it's just because you can.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

. It was handed to me off the bike Lol. Not on the bike. Most will spend hours drilling. I wanted to see what was in there and also blend the crossover....few other tricks too that I couldn't do with out opening it. Hiding a merg collector being one if them.....

Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

We've had several requests that we re-post the results of this test as they were buried deeply within this thread.

We tested SIX different bolt in camshafts back-to-back to provide an accurate comparison of results. Our test bike was a 2017 Harley-Davidson Road Glide 107" Milwaukee Eight and was equipped with a Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner, Jackpot M8 2/1/2 head pipe, S&S MK45 slip on mufflers, and each cam was fully tuned with the Dynojet Power Vision. The following cams were part of this test:

Andrews M460
Cycle-Rama 460
S&S Cycle 475C
Wood Performance-WM8-22X
Zipper's Red Shift 468
Wood Performance WM8-222
The first dyno chart below has all six of the camshafts overlaid to show their respective torque and horsepower relative to this particular set of components. All of the camshafts in our test offered significant performance increases over that of the stock camshaft. We would welcome you to contact one of our technicians at 920-423-3309 Mon-Fri between 9-5 CST to assist in finding the best camshaft to fit your particular riding style.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Andrews M460 Camshaft
Valve Train Noise: Very Quiet
Cam Lope at Idle: Moderate
Description: This cam makes nice broad power. It comes on relatively early and pulls well to the right side of the curve. This cam placed in the middle of the test.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Cycle Rama CR-460 Camshaft
Description: The Cycle Rama 460 made very good low RPM power (the second best in this test), it also provides a very broad power curve with good upper RPM power.

S&S Cycle 475C Camshaft
Cam Lope at Idle: Very Aggressive
Description: The S&S 475C made the second best peak HP in our test, it accelerates hard. It is very responsive and has the most aggressive lope of all the cams we tested by a significant margin.

Wood WM8-22X Camshaft
Cam Lope at Idle: Aggressive
Description: The WM8-22X camshaft offers the best early torque in this test, and it faired well horsepower wise. This cam is easy to tune and has an aggressive lope.

Zipper's Red Shift 468 Camshaft
Cam Lope at Idle: Semi-Aggressive
Description: The Red Shift 468 placed in the middle of our test for both peak torque and horsepower. It has really broad power, nice and strong through the mid RPM's. It has a semi aggressive lope.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Wood WM8-222 Camshaft
Description: The WM8-222 made the best overall peak horsepower. It made slightly less early torque than the other cams. It has the smoothest curve.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 4 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
GPHDXLC (11-22-2018), Max Headflow (11-09-2018), RinTin (11-09-2018), SWMB (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 10:07 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks for posting all this info I've just finished reading all 45 pages and learned a lot.

The following users liked this post:
fuelmoto (11-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing