Sponsored by:

S&S 50 state compliant full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 AM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kay9Cop
When you tune the bike after the exhaust swap you have to use an EPA compliant tuner, which the SEPST is the only one. The catch is the SEPST doesn't have a tune for the S&S exhaust, so they will claim you didn't properly tune the bike. Bam! Warranty voided.
The S&S pipes use the same tune as the harley high flow exhaust. Their pipes don’t require a special tune again because it doesn’t change the factory EPA approved tune, so harley has a stage 1 tune with their high flow street cannon exhaust. Basically that’s why any CARB, EPA product will not void the warranty. This come straight from Harley. I am using their tuner, tune as well as the auto tune module to help keep everything as clean as you can get their tune. So as long as the intake is CARB, EPA certified and I use their tuner and stage 1 tune the warranty is full in tact. I am using their M8 heavy breather so that’s their intake that is certified. I just chose to use the S&S because it offers a little more flexibility and is still compliant and it’s not S.E. Every aftermarket manufacturer should be working very hard to design products that are compliant with the EPA, CARB if they want to stay in business and to help keep harley from creating a monopoly from taking advantage of the situation. Harley can’t really void warranties now if you have a PV, TTS with an EPA tune approved for your set up. Which no one does right now that I am aware of except for Harley. So they have created a cash cow in the process. But from what I am reading it is going to get worse next year and in 2020 if the aftermarket industry doesn’t step in by then with compliant options there will be no stopping Harley from dominating the market all together.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Kay9Cop
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytacticalnut
The S&S pipes use the same tune as the harley high flow exhaust.

How do you know this? I don't see this information listed on the S&S web site.

If you read the EO they were granted, it says in order to be valid you have to tune it in the same manner that S&S did when the initial tests were submitted to the board. The instructions don't mention changing the tuning at all as part of the installation. So, if you tune it then you've voided the CARB exemption and are using a non-approved part. I suspect they submitted it with a stock tune in order to keep the emissions down and pass the tests.

I like the exhaust. It's a nice option to Harley-branded parts. But, I don't think a factory warranty will hold with it installed and you either encounter a: 1) picky dealer, or 2) a mothership rep that comes to inspect your bike after a warranty claim.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:47 PM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser

When you tune the bike after the exhaust swap you have to use an EPA compliant tuner, which the SEPST is the only one. The catch is the SEPST doesn't have a tune for the S&S exhaust, so they will claim you didn't properly tune the bike. Bam! Warranty voided.
I understand where you are coming from but Not with an EPA compliant exhaust. You can use their stage 1 tune for their high flow exhaust system. If the exhaust System is non EPA compliant then you are correct. That’s the whole point of my previous post. This isn’t hear say. It came straight from Harley. Feel free to contact them to verify yourself. This is the exact reason I called and took the name from the customer service agent. There is to much hear say on the Internet given by to many different opinions of what voids warranty and what doesn’t. So the S&S 50 state compliant is fine for warranty compliance as it was explained to me by Harley themselves on 2 separate occasions. I also called S&S to question about their certification and they actually have a carb-epa compliant certificate approved on their system with no different tune required as was told to me by their techs on 2 separate occasions as well. I believe in calling everyone 2-3 different times to see how many different stories I get or if they all corroborate then it shows me that the companies are consistent. Believe you me I went through this with my 2- 17 FLHXSE when they were sumping. I went through the warranty gamut several times. So with the 18- FLTRXSE I bought I also want to make sure I am compliant with the warranty before going all in again on this bike. I will not be doing any stage 3-4 on this bike cause it’s to much B/S with sumping and harley not fixing the bikes. But I will say that anyone wanting to use this exhaust should do their own research and confirm it with Harley before doing so just as I did. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR DEALERS WORD. CALL HARLEY AND S&S. Last but not least always document your conversations with Harley, Time, date, agent name or number as well as their position with the company. You need to create a file on them just as well as they do on you. That way your covered bro.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 PM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser

How do you know this? I don't see this information listed on the S&S web site.

If you read the EO they were granted, it says in order to be valid you have to tune it in the same manner that S&S did when the initial tests were submitted to the board. The instructions don't mention changing the tuning at all as part of the installation. So, if you tune it then you've voided the CARB exemption and are using a non-approved part. I suspect they submitted it with a stock tune in order to keep the emissions down and pass the tests.

I like the exhaust. It's a nice option to Harley-branded parts. But, I don't think a factory warranty will hold with it installed and you either encounter a: 1) picky dealer, or 2) a mothership rep that comes to inspect your bike after a warranty claim.
All you have to do is call S&S they will confirm this. It’s only a stage 1 bro not a stage 3 or 4 build. And the system is designed to use Harley’s tune on the bike. The exhaust system will need to be proven as the cause of the failure which is not likely for stage 1 build even if it weren’t an EPA compliant exhaust. That’s why someone cannot just rely on hear say from the internet and good old boys. It needs to be confirmed by Harley as well as S&S. It’s no sense to continue to beat a dead horse. I am just stating what I have been told by Harley as well as S&S. If you don’t believe me just call them yourself is all I can say at this point. Good luck. 👍

Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Jay Gillespie
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed s&s today about this exhaust system. They told me that you don’t have to re tune because it Is epa compliant

Attached Thumbnails S&S 50 state compliant full exhaust-53532028-3477-41a3-a49d-317acddbf2d4.jpeg  
Old 01-19-2018, 07:43 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Harley Davidson will tell you different, if you change anything on there exhaust system on a M8 your warranty is void there pretty clear and it’s happening all the time. No way ill am spending that of money on something not certified by HD.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 AM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
Harley Davidson will tell you different, if you change anything on there exhaust system on a M8 your warranty is void there pretty clear and it’s happening all the time. No way ill am spending that of money on something not certified by HD.
Actually this statement is not true. The fear monger attitude plays right into the hands of the MOCO. This is exactly why people need to actually contact Harley rather than just go from hear say. There is to much myth being made into warranties being voided. The factory agents will also make the same statement. For them to void any warranty even if the part is compliant or not, it will have to be proven the part caused the failure. Kind of hard for a stage 1 exhaust to do so when no additional tune is required. Now aftermarket motor work, ie cams, Pistons, aftermarket tuners etc, will most definitely void warranties but only if the parts are the cause of the failure. Much easier to find the cause of the problem with those upgrades versus a stage 1 epa compliant exhaust. Again let’s remind everyone Harley was sued by the EPA for selling non compliance parts and tunes. However this doesn’t mean that you cannot buy EPA compliant parts to install on your new bike. Again it is EPA COMPLIANT. Not voidable. Verified by Harley Davidson on several different occasions. The fear mongering in regards to the warranty plays right into the MOCO hands and does no good if people don’t do their homework because it will only limit you to buy all of their stuff. If one actually calls Harley they would actually be told the same. The factory agents are actually very clear about this. She also said that there is a lot of confusion at the dealer level as well. As a matter of fact the third time I called in regards to this question the agent seemed annoyed because she said she answers that same question like 60 times a day. But she was very nice. In no way am I defending Harley what so ever as I have also been through the warranty gauntlet with 2- sumping M-8 bikes. I just wanted to clearify what I know about this particular situation. The MOCO will grasp at every straw to lay blame on the bike owner but that does not mean that we as consumers don’t have the right to install other EPA compliant parts that we choose to use and still maintain a factory warranty. I would advise anyone before purchasing such a part to call and verify from the MOCO, before just taking someone’s word for it that it is or isn’t compliant. One might be surprised by the results

The following users liked this post:
RJ111 (03-10-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 AM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jay Gillespie
I emailed s&s today about this exhaust system. They told me that you don’t have to re tune because it Is epa compliant
That’s what I was told on 2 separate occasions. But with all the warranty fear mongering going on here it will be impossible to get the know it alls to understand this. But to each his own. I am installing them regardless of all the fear mongering being offered up. 😂😂😂I will also enjoy every EPA compliant mile doing so.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

If you install an exhaust on your bike and it doesn't doesn't effect airflow enough to need a re-tune then there is no gains to be had from the change. If the aftermarket pipe breathes exactly as the stock pipe the performance would be the same. So what is the benefit from the S&S pipe?

The following users liked this post:
Kay9Cop (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used many different S&S products over the past decades, and they have all been top quality, done their job, and lasted as expected.....

On my'17, I'm currently running their MX45's on the stock head pipe.... no tuner... no change to the fugly "high flow" stock intake..... did this with 300 miles on the bike six months ago...... now, at 14,000 miles, the bike runs great, plugs look correct, and she sounds 100% better....... My local Harley dealer back in Maine actually sells and installs these as well as the complete system that you are considering with the cats in the mufflers.... all this warranty void issue nonsense is just that, nonsense....

on a side note..... this a same dealer put that S&S complete system on a '16 RG that they had previously installed a 120ST into because the bike was no longer inspectable in Maine with the FatCat that was on it... the damn S&S duals produces slightly BETTER numbers in both HP and TQ than the 2 into 1 did... same dyno, same tuner.... Enjoy.... DW

Quick Reply: S&S 50 state compliant full exhaust