Sponsored by:

2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:41 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Perfectly explains why the stock engine is best for many HD bike owners like yourself. Just not for me and anyone else that's interested in more power in the saddle.

Lots of companies selling HD engine performance components that wouldn't be in business unless there were ALOT of guys that also want more power. HD wants their piece of that business which explains their stage kits and the incentive of keeping the warranty intact by purchasing their performance upgrades over the aftermarket.... at least until the warranty expires.
I dont care about more power. If I want speed I'll buy a sports car. I did want better sound and for the bike to run better and cooler. That meant I had two choices. Spend a ton of money on HD parts. Inferior parts by most accounts, especially given the sumping issues as well as subpar performance compared to aftermarket parts. Or wait for the warranty to expire and spend money on better upgrades. 2 years isn't all that long to wait. Save money, be patient and spend that money once in far superior products.

Now saying that, I didn't wait. After a year I went aftermarket. Just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
You could't give me a HD stage kit,and as stated I fully understand the warranty.
Originally Posted by teedoff65
I dont care about more power. If I want speed I'll buy a sports car. I did want better sound and for the bike to run better and cooler. That meant I had two choices. Spend a ton of money on HD parts. Inferior parts by most accounts, especially given the sumping issues as well as subpar performance compared to aftermarket parts. Or wait for the warranty to expire and spend money on better upgrades. 2 years isn't all that long to wait. Save money, be patient and spend that money once in far superior products.

Now saying that, I didn't wait. After a year I went aftermarket. Just my opinion.
Enjoy your ride. Good luck with your upgrades.

The following users liked this post:
sectime (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I;m just leaving it stock and keeping a warranty. I'm sorry about your problem.
Me too. I ride like an old fart these days anyway. Stock suits me just fine.

just out of curiosity, what are the tell tale signs of sumping? Is it basically sucking the crankcase dry because oil is not returning?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by RCUltra

Me too. I ride like an old fart these days anyway. Stock suits me just fine.

just out of curiosity, what are the tell tale signs of sumping? Is it basically sucking the crankcase dry because oil is not returning?
I only know it from what is written on here,mine hasen't had a problem.
That would be better explained from someone with the problem.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Heatwave

I only know it from what is written on here,mine hasen't had a problem.
That would be better explained from someone with the problem.
Well this thread I started last year will give you a good taste for what sumping is all about.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ddressing.html

Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,975 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Perfectly explains why the stock engine is best for many HD bike owners like yourself. Just not for me and anyone else that's interested in more power in the saddle.

Lots of companies selling HD engine performance components that wouldn't be in business unless there were ALOT of guys that also want more power. HD wants their piece of that business which explains their stage kits and the incentive of keeping the warranty intact by purchasing their performance upgrades over the aftermarket.... at least until the warranty expires.
This is why I have one of each. My 13 King is built, and a blast with lots of power everywhere, and no warranty. I built it with 2000 miles on the odometer and a couple weeks old. Not HD parts.

My 18 CVO is stock except exhaust and tune. Really want to built this motor as I know it would be pretty easy to get to 138 square and be able to ride anywhere. However I just do not trust it not to sump, then I am SOL on warranty. I'll leave it until someone figures out how to stop the sumping once and for all.

I know the latest and greatest HD oil pump does not fix it. I know a stage IV CVO that had a new motor in Feb due to sumping, and it did it again with 500 miles on it.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
This is why I have one of each. My 13 King is built, and a blast with lots of power everywhere, and no warranty. I built it with 2000 miles on the odometer and a couple weeks old. Not HD parts.

My 18 CVO is stock except exhaust and tune. Really want to built this motor as I know it would be pretty easy to get to 138 square and be able to ride anywhere. However I just do not trust it not to sump, then I am SOL on warranty. I'll leave it until someone figures out how to stop the sumping once and for all.

I know the latest and greatest HD oil pump does not fix it. I know a stage IV CVO that had a new motor in Feb due to sumping, and it did it again with 500 miles on it.
FWIW, the HD dealer rep I’ve been dealing with has stated very clearly that there have been no reports of any M8 engine sumping with the latest oil pump that ALSO was installed using the latest updated bolt torquing procedure outlined in the latest SB1450. I’m confident he would not lie but there’s also probably very few bikes and very few miles of stage 4 M8 builds using the latest oil pump and install instructions to have much confidence. At least not yet.

My bike is about to have its 3rd engine upgraded to Stage 4. I’ve held off since last Aug on the upgrade that HD owes me hoping the engineers resolve it. I do not want to miss another riding season without the performance. They’ve given me a full 7 yr ESP including wheel and tire coverage at no charge. They have also added the stage 4 kit to my swr so it will also be covered for the full 7 yrs.

They have tried to make the bike right. If they fail again, well its their problem. Who knows.... if it keeps failing, I’ll just keep getting the latest designed engine they release each year. Hopefully thats not the case but I wouldn’t rule it out.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 AM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW, the HD dealer rep I’ve been dealing with has stated very clearly that there have been no reports of any M8 engine sumping with the latest oil pump that ALSO was installed using the latest updated bolt torquing procedure outlined in the latest SB1450. I’m confident he would not lie but there’s also probably very few bikes and very few miles of stage 4 M8 builds using the latest oil pump and install instructions to have much confidence. At least not yet.

My bike is about to have its 3rd engine upgraded to Stage 4. I’ve held off since last Aug on the upgrade that HD owes me hoping the engineers resolve it. I do not want to miss another riding season without the performance. They’ve given me a full 7 yr ESP including wheel and tire coverage at no charge. They have also added the stage 4 kit to my swr so it will also be covered for the full 7 yrs.

They have tried to make the bike right. If they fail again, well its their problem. Who knows.... if it keeps failing, I’ll just keep getting the latest designed engine they release each year. Hopefully thats not the case but I wouldn’t rule it out.

That's good news.. I should have the latest pump.. who know about the bolt and torque procedure.. I guess if it fails again I will mention that..

Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
skiindean
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer is picking up my bike today or tomorrow. Parts department found out that my oil pump was received September 2017, prior to the 10/10/17 SB1450. They said they’ll get it done in 7-10 days. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by skiindean
Dealer is picking up my bike today or tomorrow. Parts department found out that my oil pump was received September 2017, prior to the 10/10/17 SB1450. They said they’ll get it done in 7-10 days. Fingers crossed.

Good to hear. sounds like we'll both be riding stage 4 M8s that have the latest oil pump design and latest installation instructions. Make sure your shop follows the LATEST SB1450 installation instructions. The shop can easily end up using an earlier version of SB1450 by mistake. There are 7 versions.

1) Initial release July 15, 2017
2) Update July 17, 2017
3) Update July 21, 2017
4) Update July 25, 2017
5) Update Oct 18, 2017
6) Update with added Dealer Required Action for Install Oct 24, 2017
7) Update with added Dealer Required Action for Install Nov 15, 2017

If they aren't using the instructions "precisely" as outlined in SB1450 dated Nov. 15, 2017 or newer, you might still have issues. Insist that the shop is using the latest SB1450 with the latest design oil pump.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-03-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skiindean (04-03-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?