Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no more actual oil pressure readings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default no more actual oil pressure readings?

Sooooo... on the info screen of the boom audio, when you thumbed the switch to get the oil pressure on my '15, you actually got a numerical oil pressure reading.......now on my '17, when you do the same it just says "OK", or "check oil".....no PSI readings anymore...... After a few bullshit answers from some dealers, I finally got what seems to be a credible explanation from one dealer,(Thank You Black Widow Harley in Port Charlotte, Florida). It seems that the '17 up sending unit is the culprit ....I was hoping it was just lost in the ECM and a flash would bring it back,(like the one that keeps your side driving lights on with the center high beam). The service manager also said that Harley is aware of it and it happened with a supplier change....(probably 7 cents cheaper)......... he claimed that they will have one available at some time in the future that can be changed out and return the PSI feature..... he didn't know when or who would foot the bill...... every time I look at it, all I can think of is Buckwheat on Spanky and our Gang saying, " ooooooo-TAY!....... Don't know about you but I sure prefer and actual readout over the "OK" or blown up option??????Anyone else tried to get an answer out of a dealer about this? Usually with HD more noise = faster results...... thanks....DW

Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hoofnhog
Sooooo... on the info screen of the boom audio, when you thumbed the switch to get the oil pressure on my '15, you actually got a numerical oil pressure reading.......now on my '17, when you do the same it just says "OK", or "check oil".....no PSI readings anymore...... After a few bullshit answers from some dealers, I finally got what seems to be a credible explanation from one dealer,(Thank You Black Widow Harley in Port Charlotte, Florida). It seems that the '17 up sending unit is the culprit ....I was hoping it was just lost in the ECM and a flash would bring it back,(like the one that keeps your side driving lights on with the center high beam). The service manager also said that Harley is aware of it and it happened with a supplier change....(probably 7 cents cheaper)......... he claimed that they will have one available at some time in the future that can be changed out and return the PSI feature..... he didn't know when or who would foot the bill...... every time I look at it, all I can think of is Buckwheat on Spanky and our Gang saying, " ooooooo-TAY!....... Don't know about you but I sure prefer and actual readout over the "OK" or blown up option??????Anyone else tried to get an answer out of a dealer about this? Usually with HD more noise = faster results...... thanks....DW
Yep, ol' Buckwheat had it goin' on!

Maybe they thought that an indication of zero pressure from their POS oil pumps at idle would upset people?

Just a guess...

Last edited by jpooch00; 03-01-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:16 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

That explanation from Black Widow HD is just their theory as to why there is no pressure reading on the 2017-18 touring bikes.My quess is Moco knew the M8's had pressure problems and eliminated the read out. I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix from Moco.

Last edited by GTK; 03-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
psyshack (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Why do you need to see the oil pressure?

You realize that most motorcycles on the planet only have a oil pressure switch to a dummy light, right?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mattbastard

You realize that most motorcycles on the planet only have a oil pressure switch to a dummy light, right?
Need has nothing to do with it, (as with most things in my life)... I want one..... there is no way to know where the pressure is running without one, and I like to see that I don't have any minor changes from "normal", which experience has shown is a good EARLY indicator that something isn't quite "right" but hasn't gone "BOOM"....yet.....

Oh...... And I don't ride "most" motorcycles....................... DW

Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard

Most motorcycles on the planet (except these, apparently) have oil pumps that actually just work like they're supposed to and give no real problems.

With MoCo products, all bets and assumptions are off.

The following users liked this post:
Randol (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

On my 14' the reading would just bounce all over the place for the most part. It would be great to still have it, but it didn't seem all that great on my 14 anyway.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by load97
On my 14' the reading would just bounce all over the place for the most part. It would be great to still have it, but it didn't seem all that great on my 14 anyway.
My '15 was not that way...... steady readout until conditions changed, idle, cruising, red line, etc.

Certainly better that an "OK" or "your screwed".......DW

Old 03-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by hoofnhog
Need has nothing to do with it, (as with most things in my life)... I want one..... there is no way to know where the pressure is running without one, and I like to see that I don't have any minor changes from "normal", which experience has shown is a good EARLY indicator that something isn't quite "right" but hasn't gone "BOOM"....yet.....

Oh...... And I don't ride "most" motorcycles....................... DW

Well, ok, but promise us you're not gonna come on here like Chicken Little hollering about oil pressure issues when you only see 6 psi at idle on a hot motor.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:52 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 528 Likes on 365 Posts

It's not needed these days. Especially newer bikes. If your oil pressure is NOT OK, then your bike is F@Cked regardless. Plain and simple. And it will all pinpoint to user error by not checking oil levels before riding.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 03-05-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: no more actual oil pressure readings?