Sponsored by:

Intake seals shot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
I recall hearing of warped intakes (they are plastic ) much earlier in the M8 life, but no update.
The OP has a 2017 model that has very low mileage on it. The bikes affected could be all from a certain build period. Sounds like the dealer might have had some gotten some ‘17’s to discount after the ‘18’s came out.

I’m pretty sure other manufacturers have used plastic manifolds successfully, but it’s not a material I would choose. If this continues to be a problem an aftermarket manifold will probably be offered by someone, maybe HPI.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
LXT (04-01-2018), VDeuce (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
I get that webby, but what if the guy was sincere?
yup, guilty until proven innocent..LOL..guess he could have posted the dealership name and someone could have called to verify..little extreme but that particular story raises eyebrows

edit: once again, in trying to keep things in perspective...is plastic a wise choice, probably not..but what must amount to ~150,000 M8's sold one can presume the vast majority aren't afflicted by that choice so the exception not the rule must be attributed to some other underlying cause/s perhaps

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

HPI indeed makes aluminum M8 manifolds, I have one on my 120 M8.

Never thought a plastic manifold bolted to hot, leaned out EPA tuned heads was a good idea. Will have to see how that plays out.

I believe the OP. Not inconceivable they could warp from heat.

Last edited by VDeuce; 04-01-2018 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I have to ask. If you hate Milwaukee 8s and don't own one, why do you come here and insult other m8 owners or comment here at all for that matter. I don't go to Honda or Indian forums and do that.

Just curious what you get out of it.

Don't believe I insulted any one - you got some nerve! apparently an M8 owner did post here & then your wonderful M8 group starts insulting him! wow... you got something backwards here huh?

This is a Harley forum? Yes! Ive ridden an M8 prolly more than one of your most post worthy brethren who decided to add insult to the OP here! so the bottom line is:

Ive ridden, have friends that own M8`s, its a Harley forum, Ive seen the issues at multiple dealers & I can list them if you`d like & its my opinion like it or not which just happens to rub certain people wrong - cause......ITS TRUE!!!!

I didn't bring up one dam thing about your precious M8 & I can bring up a lot of its short comings - I just wanted you M8 owners to see/Hear that as the biggest bunch that complains about people bitching & how Mods need to clean up threads about such - you m8 owners are the reason for it!

you guys - call people posting with problems trolls (even long standing members), you throw out insults while praising these unproven machines, you deny clear & apparent problems of which all one has to do is read the M8 section & see the long running on going list of issues - but some how a small group of you find it necessary to keep on keeping on with the insults & such.

Do you need to defend your M8 purchases that bad? really? so theres problems - discuss them, lets get them sorted out so that people like my self will be willing to purchase one in the future. doing what I see done here & in other threads only leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth & then they cop an attitude toward the bike & this site! lets welcome them first & then if their a troll we all pile on!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by LXT:
jockotwin (04-01-2018), TenMidgets (04-08-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Don't believe I insulted any one - you got some nerve! apparently an M8 owner did post here & then your wonderful M8 group starts insulting him! wow... you got something backwards here huh?

This is a Harley forum? Yes! Ive ridden an M8 prolly more than one of your most post worthy brethren who decided to add insult to the OP here! so the bottom line is:

Ive ridden, have friends that own M8`s, its a Harley forum, Ive seen the issues at multiple dealers & I can list them if you`d like & its my opinion like it or not which just happens to rub certain people wrong - cause......ITS TRUE!!!!

I didn't bring up one dam thing about your precious M8 & I can bring up a lot of its short comings - I just wanted you M8 owners to see/Hear that as the biggest bunch that complains about people bitching & how Mods need to clean up threads about such - you m8 owners are the reason for it!

you guys - call people posting with problems trolls (even long standing members), you throw out insults while praising these unproven machines, you deny clear & apparent problems of which all one has to do is read the M8 section & see the long running on going list of issues - but some how a small group of you find it necessary to keep on keeping on with the insults & such.

Do you need to defend your M8 purchases that bad? really? so theres problems - discuss them, lets get them sorted out so that people like my self will be willing to purchase one in the future. doing what I see done here & in other threads only leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth & then they cop an attitude toward the bike & this site! lets welcome them first & then if their a troll we all pile on!!!!
Lol. I didn't insult you either. Yet I see post after post of you doing just that. Trying to instigate. You signature does just that.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:04 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
HPI indeed makes aluminum M8 manifolds, I have one on my 120 M8.

Never thought a plastic manifold bolted to hot, leaned out EPA tuned heads was a good idea. Will have to see how that plays out.

I believe the OP. Not inconceivable they could warp from heat.
Well if I was running a 120 ci. M8 HPI would be my choice for a TB. From what I see they are offing a 58mm and a 62mm. That would require the bike to be retuned and might actually hurt the performance of a 107 ci. I didn't see that they were offering a replacement manifold for the stock 55mm TB.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:12 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

[QUOTE=LXT;17233795]Don't believe I insulted any one - you got some nerve! apparently an M8 owner did post here & then your wonderful M8 group starts insulting him! wow... you got something backwards here huh?

Do you need to defend your M8 purchases that bad? really? so theres problems - discuss them, lets get them sorted out so that people like my self will be willing to purchase one in the future. doing what I see done here & in other threads only leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth & then they cop an attitude toward the bike & this site! lets welcome them first & then if their a troll we all pile on!!!! [/QUOT
Do us a favor and post a picture of your current ride. For all we know you could be a poser?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Also of note is the 64mm SE manifold for the M8 is also aluminum. If they thought plastic was a great idea, then why not for the 64? I think we know why lol.

Last edited by VDeuce; 04-01-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM
BCN
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
Happened to Me too.Went to Biketoberfest and trailered home.Bike ran fine during Biketoberfest.I never rode during winter and bike was left on trailer.Went to Daytona, took off trailer and bike ran fine at fast idle.When it came off fast idle it would pop and spit and die.Took it to dealer and They said that the intake manifold melted.They replaced manifold,seals,spark plugs and air filter and blued mufflers,under warranty.Blued the mufflers in a matter of minutes trying to figure out what had happened over the winter.It acted like bad gas.I was never told that the intake was plastic.
Harttoo, how long did it take them to get the parts in? Being told they do not know when mine will be coming in.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:43 PM
BCN
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all. No need to bring in the Dealership name right now. They do own multiple shops in two states. The ones who think I am lying, think what you want. You are starting to see a couple more people here who have heard about it, and 1 who it also happened to. If for some reason you think I am slamming the M8 why would I? I have no reason too. I also misunderstood the service department about the number of bikes back with the same problem, I was there yesterday for an event they were having, and they are up to 5 bikes including mine. The reason I came here was because after they told me about what was going on, I went online to research the problem, and found nothing, so I joined here to see if anyone else might have the same problem. Yes, good it is covered by warranty, but it sucks I paid over 20 grand for a bike that is sitting in the shop.

Quick Reply: Intake seals shot.