Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

First Oil Change Surprise

Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 AM
JHC210
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default First Oil Change Surprise

Just did my 1K fluid change (17 Limited) and was surprised by what came out. First off, oil appeared a little dark with very little metal/crud on the oil plug. Transmission about the same except a lot more metal/crud on the trans plug. Now the primary, the fluid looked very milky and there was a considerable more metal/crud on the primary plug. I have never seen primary fluid that milky. Is this because MOCO used Formula + or is something else going on?

One more issue, I expected to get more than 5 qts out total of all fluids. I barely got 5 qts.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:12 AM
jlombard
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would call the dealer to come pick up the bike and go from there.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 AM
Oz Dan
Senior Rider
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Donít US dealers do the first service free of charge? Over here, if we touch em, unless a qualified mechanic, end of warranty. There again, we can add catless headers, any mufflers, any tuner and warranty remains intact. Nuts.

Iím guessing your dropped oils look weird because itís being run in. Bike running ok?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
Just did my 1K fluid change (17 Limited) and was surprised by what came out. First off, oil appeared a little dark with very little metal/crud on the oil plug. Transmission about the same except a lot more metal/crud on the trans plug. Now the primary, the fluid looked very milky and there was a considerable more metal/crud on the primary plug. I have never seen primary fluid that milky. Is this because MOCO used Formula + or is something else going on?

One more issue, I expected to get more than 5 qts out total of all fluids. I barely got 5 qts.
With no photos I'm assuming here.

Engine oil sounds normal.
Trans sounds normal also. I would not expect to see much crud after this though.
Primary will usually have lots of crud on magnet. Milky may be from sitting so much and having water from condensation in oil.

I don't know capacities on the M8 bikes.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 AM
KrustyKush
Road Captain
Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds pretty normal for a 1k break-in service.

I would keep riding it, change the oils out again at 2k miles, and see how things look then.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 AM
6113_
Supporter
Received 1,207 Likes on 651 Posts

my primary was the same yesterday, milky look to it

Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Jay_FLHXS
One Of The Regulars
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan View Post
Donít US dealers do the first service free of charge? Over here, if we touch em, unless a qualified mechanic, end of warranty. There again, we can add catless headers, any mufflers, any tuner and warranty remains intact. Nuts.

Iím guessing your dropped oils look weird because itís being run in. Bike running ok?

I'm sure we all wish the first one was free.... You can sometimes negotiate it for free when you buy the bike... But its usually $300 plus.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM
jdunn01
Senior Rider
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My guess is you changed the fluid while the bike was cold, or at least not run long enough to evaporate the condensation that accumulates in the oil, thus the milky look.

I always change mine after a days ride. Not necessary but if you drive it for 30 minutes or so it should evaporate the moisture.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 132 Posts

Primary oil seems normal to me after 1k break in.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM
mikes300
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan View Post

no, but this is why I always have the dealer do the first few services, you never know. in my case they found a very small oil leak at the rocker box cover so they replaced both gaskets under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Oil Change Surprise

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: