Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd M8 Engine upgrade - Yep about to do it again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

On a separate note, all fluids in the bike were spot on their full mark. In other words, the Transmission was exactly where it was suppose to be as well as the Primary. And the engine oil was less than a 1/4 Qt low. I had the fluids changed per the manual and after 7800miles not a drop of fluid has moved from the transmission or primary. Also worth noting the coolant was only a hair low.

Of major importance to me on this 3rd engine (Aug 2017 build), the oil jets screws were right on their torque spec and looked good. Crank rods (2500 miles on this 3rd engine) rotated freely and looked good according to the tech. Hopefully this engine is on a good path for upgrading to Stage IV..

Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Heatwave

There is hope! I got my 2017 CVO Limted back late this afternoon after having the latest Stage IV kit installed.

The installation had HD engineering involved to ensure everything was done by their specifications. Cylinders washed, oil pump pressure relief valve checked before installation, latest oil pump installed following the prescribed torque procedure.

Engine went through the required heat cycles and then they did a 20 mile ride and checked all fluid levels. All were perfect. Then another 30 mile ride by the tech. All fluids were still perfect plus they pulled the crank position sensor and just an ounce or so dribbled out.

I picked up the bike and did a 100 mile ride before dark. 70 degree temp outside. The bike feels terrific. After 2 prior engines that sumped, I’m familiar with what to look for and how to induce sumping. Obviously I was gentle and stayed under 3500 rpms but did a long 50 mile run on an interstate at 3000-3200rpms (75-80mph). No feeling of any sumping. Just clean power whenever I wanted it.

I did another 50miles on backroads with lots of shifting. No sense of sumping.

The additional good news was that the engine ran exceptionally cooler than either my recent stock 114 or my previous Stage IV 117s. I reached this conclusion based on the fact that my coolant fans never came on (other than idling on the kickstand) even after an hr run on the highway at 80mph or on the backroads with lots of shifting after I came to a stop. Granted it was only 70 degrees outside however my other engines would have the coolant fans running after 10-15mins of the same conditions.

So its definitely early with only 150 miles on this Stage IV build but there’s very good reason to be optimistic. A lousy weather weekend ahead so I can’t get any more miles til next week, but I feel this third build could be the charm.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-11-2018 at 10:51 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Heatwave:
biglew55 (05-13-2018), crazytown (05-15-2018), hattitude (09-04-2018), mjwebb (05-11-2018), stixvrad (05-15-2018), Xcrossbow (05-15-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,602 Likes on 4,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
A lousy weather weekend ahead so I can’t get any more miles til next week, but I feel this third build could be the charm.
Whew! or

Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

I feel so lucky to have almost 8000 trouble free miles on my bike, sorry about your luck man, sounds like they’re trying really hard to take care of you I hope it works out. I love HD but I’d be pretty frustrated if I were you.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Whew! or

Sad to report. This 3rd engine upgraded to Stage IV last week, sumped pretty badly last night after a 75 miles run. Looks like the cylinders/pistons/rings perfectly matched and specced by HD Engineering was not the solution, even with the latest oil pump ....*****180 casting. I've been a naysayer for awhile that the sumping issue is a design issue (vs a manufacturing issue), but I'm now convinced there is a serious design issue with the oiling system for the M8. I'm also convinced now that I can take any M8 and make it sump. Just plain sad. No idea where to go from here with this bike. The Dealer is coming to pick it up but won't be able to get the dealer rep onsite until early next week. Looks like another lost summer of riding this bike ahead of me. Time to put more miles on my other bike which is a joy to ride and far more dependable.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,376 Likes on 2,625 Posts

Sad to report. This 3rd engine upgraded to Stage IV last week, sumped pretty badly last night after a 75 miles run. Looks like the cylinders/pistons/rings perfectly matched and specced by HD Engineering was not the solution, even with the latest oil pump ....*****180 casting. I've been a naysayer for awhile that the sumping issue is a design issue (vs a manufacturing issue), but I'm now convinced there is a serious design issue with the oiling system for the M8. I'm also convinced now that I can take any M8 and make it sump. Just plain sad. No idea where to go from here with this bike. The Dealer is coming to pick it up but won't be able to get the dealer rep onsite until early next week. Looks like another lost summer of riding this bike ahead of me. Time to put more miles on my other bike which is a joy to ride and far more dependable.
Infuriating! Some questions:

1) you mentioned that you could not get the stock 107 (is that what this build started with that you tested for a couple weeks?) to sump. But now that its Stage IV, it sumped again. So is the design problem in the Stage IV kit, or do you think this level of HP on a 117 Stage IV makes it most likely?
2) You can make any M8 sump - how, exactly?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:26 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,602 Likes on 4,449 Posts

speechless

Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,286 Likes on 3,644 Posts

Inquiring minds want to know how you can do it.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 AM
rhider
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes we do!! My 2018 CVO Limited is getting a fresh motor after 1900 miles due to sumping. If I can make motor #2 sump I will drop off the bike to Dealer and never look back.

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Inquiring minds want to know how you can do it.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Infuriating! Some questions:

1) you mentioned that you could not get the stock 107 (is that what this build started with that you tested for a couple weeks?) to sump. But now that its Stage IV, it sumped again. So is the design problem in the Stage IV kit, or do you think this level of HP on a 117 Stage IV makes it most likely?
2) You can make any M8 sump - how, exactly?
Here's how I come to the conclusion that I can make any M8 sump. Its a set of riding situations and temps that has taken awhile to figure out. I never did it it on the stock 114 form and wished I had. I have a 25 mile loop I enjoy riding. Its a combination of nice twisties with steep inclines, sweeping turns around a reservoir, then 10 miles on an interstate and than more twisty back roads back to my house. Last night I road that loop 2 times ...easy.....and the bike felt terrific. No signs of power loss or overheating. I regularly checked the radiator fans to see if they were running and the engine was cool, no issues and I was smiling as the ride felt great. At the last minute I figured I would do a third loop.

5 miles into the 3rd loop, the engine felt just "a hair off" the performance of the 1st 50 miles but I figured it was my imagination and my sensitivity to the the previous sumped engines. So I kept riding, nothing radical, just enjoying the curves. On the Interstate, I was doing 80-85mph with the traffic flow before the exit to the final 15 miles of backroads. The throttle response slowly got worse and worse. At every stop sign the fans were blowing where they weren't on the first 50 miles. Within 5-10 miles of my house the throttle response went to nothing. I could roll the throttle and it would barely accelerate. Engine was screaming hot.

I pulled it into my garage on level ground and let it idle for 2 mins. I shut it down and pulled the dipstick. Very bad burnt oil smell which you could smell throughout the garage. Where it had been perfectly full when I left, it was now 5-6 rows of dots low on oil, which is more than a quart low in less than 250miles. Even crazier, I let it sit overnight to cool down. Pulled the dipstick this morning and the oil was in the same place I left it last night but you could still smell the burnt oil on the dipstick. I turned the engine on and let it idle for 2 mins per SB1450 on the kickstand. I turned the engine off. The oil FELL from 5-6 rows of dots low on the dipstick to BELOW the add mark. Serious problem if your oil can DROP to below "add" in just 2 mins of idling on the kickstand. Obviously the latest model oil pump was not returning the oil from the crankcase to the pan at the same rate it was being pumped to the top end.

My view is its really just a matter of time. A stock bike might take 4-5 of those loops, maybe more but eventually sumping would show its ugly head. That's just my opinion based on my experience with 3 sumping engines. Its all a matter of time, load & temps.

Quick Reply: 3rd M8 Engine upgrade - Yep about to do it again!