Sponsored by:

Warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Question: friend of mine has a 17 SG and the clutch is completely fried at 4,000 miles. He's 68 years old and rides slow, never roasted a tire in his life yet the dealer is claiming he abused it.

is this a warranty item? warranty says they cover everything except perishable /consumable items.. does that include clutch?

Also, he's been to dealer twice complaining that the bike is grinding gears when shifting down from 5th to 6th. It's been in twice for this, now the clutch is gone..... Bike won't register gears on the dash except for neutral.
Maybe the clutch was dragging ?
If it won't register gears that'd be it.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jockotwin
Not bad. Only 7 posts before a guy with a problem is called a liar. It seems any new problem must be approved by the M8 police.
true...see something you don't like,just yell FAKE NEWS

The following users liked this post:
ole_phart (04-23-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Question: friend of mine has a 17 SG and the clutch is completely fried at 4,000 miles. He's 68 years old and rides slow, never roasted a tire in his life yet the dealer is claiming he abused it.

is this a warranty item? warranty says they cover everything except perishable /consumable items.. does that include clutch?

Also, he's been to dealer twice complaining that the bike is grinding gears when shifting down from 5th to 6th. It's been in twice for this, now the clutch is gone..... Bike won't register gears on the dash except for neutral.
I have seen similar results from air in the hydraulic system between the master and the slave (not HD, but operationally the same). I would almost put money on limited travel of the clutch assembly, preventing complete disengagement from occurring. No different than the Oldskewl (pun intended) days when our clutch cables were coming apart and preventing the clutch from disengaging completely.

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I'll be the first to say....."They all do that". Seriously, yes I would tell them to fix it. That is what warranty is for.
Damn I hope not!!!

Last edited by SoCalHDMC; 04-21-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Let me set the record straight. The "friend" is my son. I didn't want to throw his name out here and I won't.

Fact: after a lengthy phone call by me to the moco warranty division on Friday, the clutch is "NOT COVERED" and is considered a "consumable item" under the warranty rules.
Earlier this year his bike was having trouble shifting down from 6th - 5th. it was grinding gears so he took to the dealer - Reno HD and told them of the issue and after a week they reported back and said they found nothing wrong.
Long story short, the problem still existed and they failed to even run it through the gears. Now, suddenly the clutch is burnt out and they want a $500 commitment out of him to change out the clutch then diagnose the trans.

It's total BS. The Warranty department even said, no clutch should go out on a bike with very little miles. For those that know my son and me, "NO" this is not the turbo bike.
So here we sit, Monday morning waiting for the dealer to report back how he beat on his bike and they wont cover it. His attorney called HD and the moco both on saturday demanding they save the oil, the clutch plates and friction discs for inspection by a third party.
I'll let you know what happens

Last edited by Oldskewl; 04-23-2018 at 11:38 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
mjwebb (04-23-2018), s-glide76 (04-24-2018), SoCalHDMC (04-24-2018), TomcatCV62 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I think that is definitely a warranty item. Sounds like it hasn't been right since new and the burnt up clutch is just a result.

So your Son is 68? Dang man. You ARE old school... Good on you for still riding.

Campy Roadie (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
I think that is definitely a warranty item. Sounds like it hasn't been right since new and the burnt up clutch is just a result.

So your Son is 68? Dang man. You ARE old school... Good on you for still riding.
yea, I figured saying 68, nobody would pick on my kid.... I take that **** to heart. He told the dealership he had the money in the bank to by the entire business including the franchise so he wasn't some young dumb kid.

He does very well for himself, very responsible and he's been riding with me since he was 10 years old. No bike should lose a clutch at 4000 miles, something is wrong in the transmission.
He told me if it takes over two weeks to get the bike back he'll go to another dealer and buy a new one and sell that one, take the loss and let his attorney fight it out with the moco and dealership.

Originally Posted by lp

I'm 52, he's 27.
But anyone here is free to call the warranty dept and ask, the clutch is considered a consumable item like tires and not covered, even under the 1 year warranty

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-23-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

I called and opened a ticket this morning, told them my bike has been burning a lot of fuel..went thru 3 tank fulls in 3 days in 700 miles..I'm hoping they'll give me a prepaid Chevron card at least!

jammerx (04-26-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

The whole thing proves my stance on the moco.. if you buy and extended warranty, shame on you. Waste of money. The moco can and will claim abuse and nullify a factory 1 year warranty where you've done nothing wrong.
Should of just called Baker and ordered a new DD7. stronger and you won't get this kind of BS if it goes bad.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

yea, I figured saying 68, nobody would pick on my kid.... I take that **** to heart. He told the dealership he had the money in the bank to by the entire business including the franchise so he wasn't some young dumb kid.

He does very well for himself, very responsible and he's been riding with me since he was 10 years old. No bike should lose a clutch at 4000 miles, something is wrong in the transmission.
He told me if it takes over two weeks to get the bike back he'll go to another dealer and buy a new one and sell that one, take the loss and let his attorney fight it out with the moco and dealership.

I'm 52, he's 27.
But anyone here is free to call the warranty dept and ask, the clutch is considered a consumable item like tires and not covered, even under the 1 year warranty
Consumable and defective are two different things. If an item can be found faulty, then wear and tear has nothing to do with it.

Hopefully he can get this worked out. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

The whole thing proves my stance on the moco.. if you buy and extended warranty, shame on you. Waste of money. The moco can and will claim abuse and nullify a factory 1 year warranty where you've done nothing wrong.
Should of just called Baker and ordered a new DD7. stronger and you won't get this kind of BS if it goes bad.
Yup, extended warranties are for suckers and people who don't understand basic statistics.

Quick Reply: Warranty issue