Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new ultra vs indian bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Peace Frog
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I see several Indian bikes with paint issues. Now they do ride just as well as my Limited but I've never been a fan of the retro look.
I'll stick with what I've been riding the past 38 years...Harley Davidson.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:15 AM
psoff
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Do you honestly think Harley has improved their quality as of late? I don't.
Oh yes for sure. Yes their are a few issues with the new M8 but if they came out with a new Engine 10 years ago there would have been many more issues.
I think part of that is to do with Harley internally started hiring a lot of Automotive engineers about 5 years ago, when the older engineers retired or left. Of course that is a just an assumption on my part but I do know an automotive engineer that now works at Harley.
Think back when pretty much every Harley would leak oil when parked? you dont see that much on bikes anymore.
This is all my opinion with no really quality control data to back it up, just what I have been noticing.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by psoff
Oh yes for sure. Yes their are a few issues with the new M8 but if they came out with a new Engine 10 years ago there would have been many more issues.
I think part of that is to do with Harley internally started hiring a lot of Automotive engineers about 5 years ago, when the older engineers retired or left. Of course that is a just an assumption on my part but I do know an automotive engineer that now works at Harley.
Think back when pretty much every Harley would leak oil when parked? you dont see that much on bikes anymore.
This is all my opinion with no really quality control data to back it up, just what I have been noticing.
as much as we all wish HD could achieve Toyota Camry reputation they have always had problems and always will. Each new model presents a ‘same thing only different’ set of issues. Yes it’s disheartening to say the least to the relatively few who experience major problems but the vast majority love their M8’s

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-26-2018 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-26-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ytsultra
I'm buying hd regardless
With that attitude, no wonder HD can`t be bother to fix it`s own problems.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:25 PM
username not valid
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

Drain a little oil here, add a little oil there...who cares?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ytsultra
a friend of mine has a new indian not sure the name but its like a ultra..he said it would outpower the new ultra no problem.it has a 111 engine..any thoughts on this?
If you want to buy an Indian at a good price, maybe you should wait until the day comes where Polaris decides to get out of the cruiser market and discontinue the brand.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 04-28-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Dennis in Venice
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned a 2016 Indian Chieftain. I put 16000 miles on it and then Traded it in for a 2017 Ultra Limited. Looks of the bike is subjective, I loved the way it looked, red bike with an aftermarket tan seat. The bike handled great and it shifts smoother than the Harley. As far as power goes, no much of a difference in my opinion. I have put over 9000 miles on the Harley and just got back from a 1300 mile trip. The stock seat on both bikes suck, I put a ultimate seat on both bikes, made a world of difference for me.
The reason I traded in the Indian was because no dealerships for service, the nearest one was over 70 miles away and I had some problems with the sound system so I was back and forth many times Also I live in Florida and even after taking out the cat and using a capt itch heat shield the bike was too damm hot on the Indian. Also I like to listen to tunes on a long trip and the boom box and gps is far better than the Indian. This is not my first Harley but the Ultra limited with the M8 is the best..

The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis in Venice:
HD_fan (04-29-2018), Redlegvzv (04-28-2018)