Sponsored by:

Bassani DNT's with Thunder Torque Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:50 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts
Default Bassani DNT's with Thunder Torque Inserts

So a little over a week ago I ordered the Thunder Torque Inserts with the intention of installing them in the DNT mufflers for my M8. I was a little apprehensive since it has been tuned with the stock cans with Fullsac 2" cores and those truly worked well for the low end performance. Well I went forward with the installation yesterday evening and I was pleasantly surprised by the exhaust tone with the TTI inserts. I truly think that the inserts have given the DNT's a deeper, bassier note. It will be a few days before I can take it out on the road and see if the low end torque has been adversely affected. I will report back with the findings on that when I do it. I truly think these are the best sounding mufflers I have heard on an M8 bar none.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
ddsdoorguy (09-14-2018), DK Custom - ST (05-17-2018), Jeff Anderson (08-16-2020)
Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Nice, you gonna post a sound clip as well?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you planning to dyno again to check the difference or are just going to go off how it feels? Your saying the DNT's with the inserts sound better or jsut the DNT itself? I'd like a sound clip if you could as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the DNT's on my ride. Was going to do the install but saw where it would be a pita.

Decided against it.

So like others, waiting to hear about the outcome.....

Old 05-07-2018, 02:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Nice, you gonna post a sound clip as well?
I may try, I haven't had too much success posting video and sound clips here.

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Are you planning to dyno again to check the difference or are just going to go off how it feels? Your saying the DNT's with the inserts sound better or jsut the DNT itself? I'd like a sound clip if you could as well.
No, I don't think I will spend the money to dyno again, it wouldn't mean much anyway. Different dyno, different elevation, different weather. I may do a 1500 to 6000 rpm run to see how that compares.

Yes, I think they sound better with the TTI's in than they did without them. Nice deep, bassy, pitch.

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
I have the DNT's on my ride. Was going to do the install but saw where it would be a pita.

Decided against it.

So like others, waiting to hear about the outcome.....
Yeah it did look like a pain, but the instructions said to put them 1/2" to 2" into the muffler, so I decided to use the bolt hole for the end cap. Getting them in the baffle securing bolt hole would have been hard. I did have to drill out the hole anyway.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:43 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,170 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
No, I don't think I will spend the money to dyno again, it wouldn't mean much anyway. Different dyno, different elevation, different weather. I may do a 1500 to 6000 rpm run to see how that compares.
Bummer. Would be nice to see some before/after dyno comparisons. I've seen some dyno results for lollipops that showed some improvement dealing with reversion in the mid-range. Not a lot of data floating around for the TTI's. Do they help in one part of the power band at the expense of somewhere else (maybe pumping losses etc.)? Hard to tell without real data. If I were going to use them, I think I'd want to know how exactly they were impacting my setup.

Then again... Who's going to foot the bill for all this research?

If I were going to be dyno'ing anyway, I might experiment with them. Only question is, what if the end result is a net negative? Drilling holes to mount them? What are you filling holes with to unmount them?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Then again... Who's going to foot the bill for all this research?
Well, the manufacturer, for one... depending on if you want to believe what the manufacturer has posted. They have several before/after dyno charts on their product pages.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-158.htm

Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,170 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Well, the manufacturer, for one... depending on if you want to believe what the manufacturer has posted. They have several before/after dyno charts on their product pages.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thun...dk-tti-158.htm
Ya sure... And that's fine for the bike, intake and exhaust combination tested... Doesn't really provide much insight for other possible combinations. Imagine from one exhaust system to the next, could have widely varying results.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM
sgt_gman2005
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Yeah it did look like a pain, but the instructions said to put them 1/2" to 2" into the muffler, so I decided to use the bolt hole for the end cap. Getting them in the baffle securing bolt hole would have been hard. I did have to drill out the hole anyway.
$tonecold, do you have pictures on how you installed specifically on the end cap? What size of TTIs did you use? I wonder if the Street Cannons will have similar improvements. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005
$tonecold, do you have pictures on how you installed specifically on the end cap? What size of TTIs did you use? I wonder if the Street Cannons will have similar improvements. Thanks.
No I didn't take any pictures, but I could get some tonight if it is important to you. I used the 258's. I can't give you any help with street cannons. I just know that I perceive that the sound/tone is better with the TTI's installed. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet because I'm doing some cosmetic work on the bike.

Quick Reply: Bassani DNT's with Thunder Torque Inserts