Sponsored by:

Wet sumping article

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
Hell we used to watch them have the same issue on the miles in the 70s , It's not a oil pump issue or a M8 issue . It's a case design issue and Indian has the same issue.That's why Indian had a pure
race motor built. On the drag racing side Vance & Hines found every flaw and shared it with HD. You want HP call a drag racing engine builder they squeeze every once out. Indian put Harley in a cubic inch war and they never wanted to go down that path. Remember in racing you tear that motor down every Monday so Longevity isn't a concern.
IF I understand what you're getting at.......

That might all be true except for the fact that you CAN have way more performance and still have a quality, reliable build. Aftermarket guys have been taking stock harleys, and with anything from just a cam exhaust upgrade to a full blown big bore kit, and getting tons more out of them.

It all boils down to cost vs QA guidelines. They get by with the cheapest parts they can, and in their limited testing, they stay within acceptable params and call it all good. Then when real world testing takes place: i.e millions of riders, then issues start showing up on those cheap parts they thought were going to ok.

I saw that for YEARS in the furniture industry. Lets get our wood or fabrics/leather from a cheaper source to cut costs. Then a couple years down the road, and products are being returned for broken legs..

Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
The funny thing about (most) engineers is that they think the design they just created, which is based entirely on theory and in computers or on paper, will be 100% the same in practice and in action.

This is rarely the case, and as the design increases in complexity, as does the percent chance the product will not follow the design in action.

BTW, not sure a lot of y'all read Cycleworld but he's kind of an icon when it comes to technical writing in the motorcycle world.
I deal with this very issue every working day and from past experience I'll tell you it's about a 40/60 split with the 40% being what transfers from paper to the real world seamlessly. The 60% side ranges from minor tweaks to a complete redesign to make it work. Throw in a major new product release and tight timetable and a lot gets tossed to whims of lets run with it and deal with revisions later. It's a numbers game at the corporate level, as long as projected failure rates are below a certain threshold it's acceptable. We the end user take the beating.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

That might all be true except for the fact that you CAN have way more performance and still have a quality, reliable build. Aftermarket guys have been taking stock harleys, and with anything from just a cam exhaust upgrade to a full blown big bore kit, and getting tons more out of them.

It all boils down to cost vs QA guidelines. They get by with the cheapest parts they can, and in their limited testing, they stay within acceptable params and call it all good. Then when real world testing takes place: i.e millions of riders, then issues start showing up on those cheap parts they thought were going to ok.

I saw that for YEARS in the furniture industry. Lets get our wood or fabrics/leather from a cheaper source to cut costs. Then a couple years down the road, and products are being returned for broken legs..
sad but true..remember some years back the hot mess Toyota got themselves into using cheap repro parts on their legendary reliable high quality Corollas and Camrys..some throttles were sticking, think there were brake issues, can't recall all the details..but it bit em' in the *** and took awhile to recover..skimp and save in the short run without concern for long term brand impact..consumers deserve quality and value for spending their hard earned income on products damnit!

Last edited by mjwebb; 05-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:32 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65

Yes you can do what you stated,but not do a race motor with HD parts .Not build a motor that's bad *** fast.The Chevy in the Sprint car stops at the Bow Tie . Nothing GM about it. It's all about light weight rotating mass. That's why Indian went to a full blown race motor to kick HDs ***. Polaris has a bottomless pit for a racing budget.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,660 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I deal with this very issue every working day and from past experience I'll tell you it's about a 40/60 split with the 40% being what transfers from paper to the real world seamlessly. The 60% side ranges from minor tweaks to a complete redesign to make it work. Throw in a major new product release and tight timetable and a lot gets tossed to whims of lets run with it and deal with revisions later. It's a numbers game at the corporate level, as long as projected failure rates are below a certain threshold it's acceptable. We the end user take the beating.
Where does corporate reputation factor into this equation? Or do they just accept that a certain number of customers will be lost to other brands forever?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Where does corporate reputation factor into this equation? Or do they just accept that a certain number of customers will be lost to other brands forever?
Regardless of reputation, Corporate tends to side with where the money can best be made. Unfortunately as of the last decade this seems to be the most driving factor in Corporate decisions.

I feel like up til the 90's major corporations (for the most part) actually did have the consumers best interests in mind. Now, it's the shareholders best interests...

Old 05-24-2018, 06:33 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Best money made on the short term (quarterly numbers) too. I don't know of any companies that play the long game anymore.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting article, but I wish he had mentioned the current HD sumping issues. I haven’t seen much in the press about it. Maybe it’s just our imagination.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900
Interesting article, but I wish he had mentioned the current HD sumping issues. I haven’t seen much in the press about it. Maybe it’s just our imagination.
Do you realize how much **** Cycleworld would have gotten for even uttering Harley brand new motor in an article about sumping? Yea, they did bring it up in a racing context, but they didn't say anything about the M8 which was probably smart on their part.

We know better tho...

Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Corpse the One
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony_b.
...I worked for 23yrs at an oil refinery. Was the same exact thing there. Us field operators would tell these college know-it-alls(green engineers)on what we needed or how something had to work, they'd go back to their office and spend two weeks designing something opposite of what we needed, have the machine shop, weld shop, general maintenance fab it up and it wouldn't work-THEN they would come and ask how it needed to be done when we told them in the first f'kin place how it needed to be done. And people wonder why gas is near and/or above $3 per gallon.
Originally Posted by Crabchuck
Best money made on the short term (quarterly numbers) too. I don't know of any companies that play the long game anymore.
Semi related it seems as this is also in IT, Tech in general, and still in refinery (bro now works at one) The engineers being engineers comes from a lot of outside sources. Companies don't hire people then think "we need engineers, maybe we should take this employee and train him to do that." its more often "go find some cheap out of college guy" It sounds like I've had it better in this regard than some of you but if that is the case you have my sincerest condolences.

It's times like this I wish I had the extra money to throw at a crate engine (or scav one out a junkyard) just to see what issues crop up over time. Ah well.