Sponsored by:

M8 roarr!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:40 PM
sernini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
Molto grazie , il mio italiano è non migliore.
The windscreen is from Dart in the UK. I modified the stock exhaust myself. I left the catalytic converter in place but removed the restrictive baffle and replaced it with approx 2" louvered baffle. I then machined somes aluminum end caps to hold it all together.
I will come back to Italy sometime in the future. My family came from Napoli, il mio cognome è Tozzi!
Tozzi is a popular surname in Tuscany also.
I visited Dart Web Site, is your wind screen "Pyranha Flyscreen" model ? I did not find specific models for Low Rider 2018 but for Low Rider FXD Dyna. Does it fit our bike equally? Are changes necessary?
Thank you again!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
And, if you're wanting your new M8 to sound like older harleys, thats not really going to happen either..
so right here---trust me I looked at damn near every trhing available. It still sounds like a Honda-Davidson. Ack I like it anyways. It can be almost anoyingly smooth though

Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Enrico,
Mine is the classic flyscreen in midnight black for 2006-2017 FXDL but it fits our 2018 FXLR the same with no modifications needed. Our forks are only different internally. The triple trees and fork tube dimensions are the same as 2017. I told Dart and they said they would update the website but I guess they haven't done it yet. I did remove the chrome "eyebrow" that goes over the headlight because I thought it didn't look right with the flyscreen but it can stay in place if you like. I bet your motorcycle can make a loud echo in the narrow streets of the cita vecchio. Back to your original issue, maybe you should try an expanding plug of some kind in the connection pipe so you will know first hand how it affects the sound. Also the intake has some affect on the overall sound of a motor when accelerating.
Ciao!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
so right here---trust me I looked at damn near every trhing available. It still sounds like a Honda-Davidson. Ack I like it anyways. It can be almost anoyingly smooth though
Well I have to say that with my setup I have now, and similar ones others have done, it sounds much more like a harley. Really sounds good especially when i get on it. Still nothing like the traditional harley sound, but that was gone when the evo took over IMO.

Last edited by teedoff65; 05-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 AM
sernini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
Enrico,
Mine is the classic flyscreen in midnight black for 2006-2017 FXDL but it fits our 2018 FXLR the same with no modifications needed. Our forks are only different internally. The triple trees and fork tube dimensions are the same as 2017. I told Dart and they said they would update the website but I guess they haven't done it yet. I did remove the chrome "eyebrow" that goes over the headlight because I thought it didn't look right with the flyscreen but it can stay in place if you like. I bet your motorcycle can make a loud echo in the narrow streets of the cita vecchio. Back to your original issue, maybe you should try an expanding plug of some kind in the connection pipe so you will know first hand how it affects the sound. Also the intake has some affect on the overall sound of a motor when accelerating.
Ciao!
Ciao! Yesterday I bought a classic flyscreen!
Hi! Yesterday I bought a classic flycreen!Regarding the sound of our bike I want to do a simple test by applying a removable cap in the connecting pipe using a metal disk and high temperature silicone gasket. Just this morning while traveling to work I listened carefully to the sound around 2,200 rpm. It is composed of two parts 1) the bursts 2) a continuous background noise like the bellow of a cow. As if you say the letter "m" at high volume :-). I know, I'm a little fanatic. But I bought a Harley just because he loves his mumbling. Of course I do not pretend the music of a Panhead or Showelhead but I am convinced that with some proof we can improve a lot. Ciao ! See you soon.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Ciao,
You have made a good explanation of the sound of la mucca! I think that it is the lowest frequency of the exhaust and you are missing the high frequencies. If your new mufflers have fiberglass blanket wrapping in them you will get a deep low mmmm sound. Take the baffle out of the pipe and remove some or all of the blanket. Then the sound will have a more articulate crack to each burst. It will get a little louder too. My other bike is a 1951 Panhead i have had for for 28 years. It sounds really good. I also like the sound of the M8, it has it's own sound. I was not a fan of the twin cam, I never bought one. Ciao.