Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 2017 M8

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
some great points being thought through here and helping OP with his questions/concerns....and your point above is valid...but....getting a good used for $17K or less is probably $10,000 cheaper than a new model at $27,000...$10K ain't chump change
Unfortunately that $17k could look VERY expensive down the road. Just depends if the buyer can confirm if the engine in the bike had sumping issues? Does it have an intact factory warranty? Does it have an intact Extended warranty? The answer to those questions are actually far more important than the negotiated sale price in light of the 2017 and 2018 bike issues. But for 60 days patience, its worth waiting to see what changes are made to the 2019s and if they suit your tastes and budget.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,610 Likes on 4,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Does it have an intact factory warranty? Does it have an intact Extended warranty? The answer to those questions are actually far more important than the negotiated sale price in light of the 2017 and 2018 bike issues.
yup, which is stated by folks in this thread as being Numero Uno concern, along with documented history, etc..if those check out then he can save a ton of money over buying new latest and greatest

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Unfortunately that $17k could look VERY expensive down the road. Just depends if the buyer can confirm if the engine in the bike had sumping issues? Does it have an intact factory warranty? Does it have an intact Extended warranty? The answer to those questions are actually far more important than the negotiated sale price in light of the 2017 and 2018 bike issues. But for 60 days patience, its worth waiting to see what changes are made to the 2019s and if they suit your tastes and budget.
Do you have any actual proof that something is going to change on the 2019's? You keep mentioning the case was redesigned. Did HD actually share this with you?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by RinTin
Do you have any actual proof that something is going to change on the 2019's? You keep mentioning the case was redesigned. Did HD actually share this with you?
My 4th engine was a Stage IV engine built AT THE FACTORY. I've posted pics of the codes on both the engine cases and on the side of the engine. This engine has over 1500 miles with excellent performance in all rpm ranges. No signs of sumping. I believe others in the last month or so have also received similar replacement engines. These codes cannot be found in ANY HD catalog or any parts diagram. My dealer informed me it was a 2019 engine but others have disagreed. It is my strong believe that HD is quietly replacing failed engines under warranty with newly designed engine cases that are currently being manufactured for the 2019 bikes about to be launched.

That's the "proof" I have and here's a thread and the pics of the engine. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17392017

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-28-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:16 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

My 4th engine was a Stage IV engine built AT THE FACTORY. I've posted pics of the codes on both the engine cases and on the side of the engine. This engine has over 1500 miles with excellent performance in all rpm ranges. No signs of sumping. I believe others in the last month or so have also received similar replacement engines. These codes cannot be found in ANY HD catalog or any parts diagram. My dealer informed me it was a 2019 engine but others have disagreed. It is my strong believe that HD is quietly replacing failed engines under warranty with newly designed engine cases that are currently being manufactured for the 2019 bikes about to be launched.

That's the "proof" I have and here's a thread and the pics of the engine. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17392017
Wasn't arguing that you got a different engine case (actually not arguing at all). I was more asking what make you think the change was something to address sumping. Was hoping they shared something to gain your confidence back.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDadFLTR
Thank you all for the replies and info, after reading a whole lot on the forum I am going pass on the M8, I may change my focus to a 2015 or 2016 Rushmore instead.
at the price your looking at.......I wouldn't hesitate. Well actually I didn't. There are a couple guys on the forums that have now shot themselves in the foot with the sky is falling. Now there 50 k bikes are not ever going to be worth salvage prices.I personal have seen over 10 now that are super high milage after I started looking. Only one I can say really had and oil issue. Have ridden 4 now 17-18s and a bunch of miles .....not one hiccup. Well rad grill fell out in a 3,000 mile rough trip lol Go out in the real world......forums are not a real good judge of real world. Get the records on it..... It's a very good running ,handling bike for a fat farm tractor.but it's no BMW. But if your scared the twink is also a good one. At 17k toss the warranty in the garbage.....

Old 06-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Wasn't arguing that you got a different engine case (actually not arguing at all). I was more asking what make you think the change was something to address sumping. Was hoping they shared something to gain your confidence back.
talked to a pretty good source who has been following this on several forums....only lip service as there were no 19 motors out till about 1 week ago.... None have been released and there are no changes in cases. But he did say they had trouble with pump leaking air around scavenging port.. Thinking is a combo of of cam plate and pump..plus A few other problems with jugs and Pistons on "stage" motors . And that's just lip service also not verified .. Who knows....I sure as hell wouldn't let a chrome installer pull my brandnew motor apart so I could finance it...lol

Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

I hate to say it but there's likely to be ALOT of 2017 and 2018 bikes being sold on CL, Bike Trader and through dealers. Some of these will be "sad" sales just trying to make a problem someone else's. If the warranty is gone and a 2017 or 2018 bike is up for sale, there's a very good chance the bike displayed early signs of sumping (sluggish throttle after riding for an hr or more) to the original owner who didn't want to wait to find out the bad news. I'm afraid to say alot of unsuspecting buyers are about to find out the great "deal" they got ... is a little more than they planned for.
lots of new bikes every year since 1980 for sale one year old at deep discounts......always will be with the cocktail Harley's ( ones that get more wax than gas lmao) nothing new there. Why if your smart you never ever ever buy new....go find one with 250-8000 miles on it the same you would do with any high dollar luxury toy....let the other guy take the 35-50% hit in the first year if your smart. Plus if there are problems you can just fix it ....or have it done by a qualified tech....not chrome installers

Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
What about the thought of a harley employee selling their new bike every year because they get 20% off and can make money on a sale
This is exactly how I bought my '09

Old 06-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Heatwave

Really have no idea what, if any, changes were made to the 4th engine since the factory assembled it and even the dealer didn't see the inside. All I know is under the same riding conditions, with the same rider, the first 3 engines sumped and the 4th one didn't. The dealer tech said it was a 2019. That's all I got plus the engine #s and pics I shared.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Used 2017 M8