Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble rough road - how do I approach?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Rocketman321
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wobble rough road - how do I approach?

Ok so I’m on an 18 RKS. Just turned over 2k miles this weekend and I feel like I’m getting more comfortable in the saddle, this being my first touring bike. Anyways, I was on the highway headed home and hit a rough lane. Concrete road, 3 lanes, I was in middle lane, the lane was split in half, I was on the half with the rough patch. Think more like bumpy, not pot holes. There was a hard line separating the left half from the smooth right half. I was unfortunately in the left half and tried to gently move over. When the tire met the hard line, the handle bars began to wobble gently then progressively more. I am so glad the road only lasted for 2 or 3 seconds and it steadyed itself out. It was unnerving, I have not had a handlebar wobble before.

I know I should have been more prepared and not been in that part of the lane; but I was. So now I’m wondering, what the hell am I going to do next time? I didn’t roll off throttle, because cruise control was on. I didn’t brake, hell I didn’t do anything. I did not react and I am curious how I should have reacted. I would appreciate some advice on techniques in this situation. What do you guys do in this situation?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

It really depends on the transition. If it is too abrupt and steps up from your current position I would not try to traverse it at speed. Slow down and do your best to navigate the portion you are in until you can move left or right safely, or it smooths out.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Haz (07-10-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Rocketman321
Advanced

So I should keep on keeping on. It was obviously too abrupt, as that is what caused the wobble. I’m trying to figure out the next step once wobble has started. You are right on slowing down for sure. I had cruise on, and I didn’t even reach for the brake pedal. I’m disappointed I didn’t do anything to fix the situation.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Always take transitions at an angle, and look sharply in the direction you want to go. Also, don’t put a death grip on the handle bars...light pressure. Practice this.

mazz (07-13-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Always take transitions at an angle, and look sharply in the direction you want to go. Also, don’t put a death grip on the handle bars...light pressure. Practice this.
About the best advice you can get!

Dont sweat it,you could have panicked and done worse.You can't possibly practice for every situation on a bike!
Just like life,some days you will ride better than others.For the after wobble just ensure that your front tyre pressure is at 36 lbs

Michael Haz (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:49 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Check you tire pressure for sure.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on not holding on with a death grip!
A light hold and try to stay supple and ride out the rough patch..... sometimes easier said than done!!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Wait till you ride on a drawbridge....both tires wobble...lol. Steady and relax.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

There is typically not enough lane space to take a significant transition at enough of an angle to get up over it, at speed. If you can't slow down to a speed that you know will allow you to make the transition it is probably best to stay where you are and ride the rough patch out. Or seek smoother pavement in another lane or the side of the road.

And I agree with yardstick, grated roadways will up the pucker factor. Key is to relax, keep your eyes up and way out in front, and loosely ride them out.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Rocketman321
Advanced

Thank you everyone for the responses. So what I’m hearing is once it has started, there isn’t much you can do about it. Slow down, stay lose and ride it out.

Quick Reply: Wobble rough road - how do I approach?