Sponsored by:

ticking noise question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts
Default ticking noise question

So, for the last month or so I've noticed what to me sounds like the valve train noise back again. I had that noise after my HD stage 1 upgrade, but it was completely gone when I did the aftermarket stage 2 back in march.

When I started hearing it again, I just thought maybe it was because the weather changed and was now in the 80's and 90's. Or perhaps bad gas from somewhere. But I paid attention to where I was buying gas after the noise returned and that didn't seem to make a difference. I also ALWAYS use premium.

SO, I emailed Fuel Moto thinking maybe my map needed to be tweeked...or even maybe a full dyno....but the bike has run and still runs very good. FM said they thought my push rods may need re adjusting and that it was probably nothing to do with the map they provided.

I took the bike back to the indy shop that did the install Sat before this past. He listened to it idling and acted like he heard some noise.....its not very noticeable at idle, but I know its there. He said it could also be the cam chain guide and he wanted to get the bike and ride it from a cold start. So I took it back down there last thursday. Didn't hear from him friday or sat, so I called him sat afternoon. He said he couldnt hear any noise.

So, wondering if anyone thats had aftermarket cam/pushrods upgrade has experienced this. Is it possible for them to loosen up? I could also see this guy not tightening them down correctly, since he had never done adjustable push rods before and had to call FM for help.

Also, since he couldnt hear anything, I talked to a local dealer SM and he said he would be glad to take a listen. I'll probably pick up my bike and run right to the dealership that day. I don't see any harm in just telling them to adjust the push rods to spec...or at least check them for tolerances

Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

From your description it sounds like one or more pushrods could use some adjustment, but for the record, having them a little loose will not hurt anything.
If you hear straight up Clatter...different. Also, gas and tune won't cause top end ticking noises either.
Having a second set of ears/eyes/hands different from your Indy is probably a good idea if the ticking bothers you. Mine ticks. It's stock though.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
From your description it sounds like one or more pushrods could use some adjustment, but for the record, having them a little loose will not hurt anything.
If you hear straight up Clatter...different. Also, gas and tune won't cause top end ticking noises either.
Having a second set of ears/eyes/hands different from your Indy is probably a good idea if the ticking bothers you. Mine ticks. It's stock though.
Thanks.

Yeah I don't think its something to worry about mechanically speaking. But it bugs me to no end. lol Especially since it was REALLY quiet when I first had the upgrade.

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-16-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Thanks.

Yeah I don't think its something to worry about mechanically speaking. But it bugs me to no end. lol Especially since it was REALLY quiet when I first had the upgrade.
I agree with Ip, Map or gas won't cause top end ticking. Having a second set of ears is best. Maybe even have them readjust the pushrods per Fuel Moto's instructions(if you don't trust the indy that installed them). That will get you ultimate peace of mind IMO

If all checks out with the new indy, chalk up the hour of labor as peace of mind.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

My stock 107 has a light, intermittent valvetrain tick. I honestly believe it's the nature of the 1 rocker/2 valve design. If it were me, I'd only seek to address it of it worsens. It may have started up after the new components broke-in, and should be considered normal if there it doesn't increase in intensity over time.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Mine has a slight tick. Only a month old so until something breaks or it gets much worse I'm not worrying about it. For all I know my other Harleys had it also but this is the first one quiet enough to hear engine noises lol

Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
My stock 107 has a light, intermittent valvetrain tick. I honestly believe it's the nature of the 1 rocker/2 valve design. If it were me, I'd only seek to address it of it worsens. It may have started up after the new components broke-in, and should be considered normal if there it doesn't increase in intensity over time.
Well i thought about that, bugt its so night and day different. And, whats a reasonable break in period. Ive put about 3k on the bike since i had the install done.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Well i thought about that, bugt its so night and day different. And, whats a reasonable break in period. Ive put about 3k on the bike since i had the install done.
If memory serves me, I believe 3k is about where I began hearing the noises. Prior to that it was quiet like a sewing machine.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a little ticking that comes and goes. Very light sound like tapping a pencil tip on a window. Took to HD and they said they couldn't hear it. I downloaded some sound recording apps and used my phone to record it while driving. Then I used another program to filter out most of the background noise. Now it sounded like a watch. Played that for the tech and all he said was, "motorcycles make noise".

Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

teedoff65

If it's a loose push rod you will hear it very clearly on the right side of the motor where the noise would be from. You can literally point at the offining push rod tube.

Mine rattles on the top end like a worn out shovel or at best like a twinkie that needs Rocker Lockers. It will be quite then sound like it's coming unglued to me then quite down,, then clatter away. And engine rpm / load does not have a thing to do with it. Oil pressure is perfect, but imho flow is low. I've taken the rocker covers off and there just isn't enough oil up there for my liking when the engine is running. Also there is some valve lash on one valve in each set of valves. So four valves have lash and it's mate is perfect. This is HD's crap design and production. They know there is a problem with this and they have already released the adjustable rockers to help adjust the lashed valve. I will be very surprised if there not put into the 2019 M8 engines.

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (07-19-2018)

Quick Reply: ticking noise question