Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
The head bolt flange nuts are known to break. So much so that the stage 3 a 4 kits come with new flange nuts. The cylinder studs are larger in diameter than on the TC, but the walls of the flange nuts are not any thicker. There are pics of broken nuts around here somewhere. This is a known weak area and may be worth the upgrade to Feuling/ARP fasteners.
I checked ARP I broke 8 of them turns out when you do a stage 3-4 you over tq them if you use the manual. that's why I kept braking them

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (08-09-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 PM
donruff
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bike is in the shop. Will be a week or so. Will let you ask know how this goes and what the outcome is.
Honestly, I am thinking of selling it after repairs, who knows. It is paid for so why not keep it, but why keep something that is showing signs of not being what you paid for?.
I hope this is not an every 10k miles event. Another reason not to hang onto it.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,231 Likes on 17,593 Posts

Originally Posted by donruff
Bike is in the shop. Will be a week or so. Will let you ask know how this goes and what the outcome is.
Honestly, I am thinking of selling it after repairs, who knows. It is paid for so why not keep it, but why keep something that is showing signs of not being what you paid for?.
I hope this is not an every 10k miles event. Another reason not to hang onto it.
I'm going to buy an extended service plan from a sponsor we have ( discountesp.com ) for another 5 years and ride the **** outa mine. I'll get the tune I want remapped either by another dealer or an indy shop and be about my business with it. One thing I've learned over the last 40 odd years dealing with harleys and motorcycles in general is nothing is bullet proof so enjoy what you like and deal with what if's if they arise.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 PM
donruff
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Understood. Nothing mechanical is going to last forever.
I am having difficulties with the only 16 months and 9078 miles before failure.
I work on very large, complex machinery that operates for many years without concern, barring electrical concerns that do arise.
Perhaps this is why I can not wrap my head around it.
$18000 any takers

Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,412 Likes on 3,723 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Just went this, same ordeal rear head gasket leak. If you've had a stage 1 done be very specific when you take it in tell them DO NOT change your map or flash the ecm. They did mine and it isn't the same bike anymore.
You haven't taken the bike back yet? Maybe it something simple like a damaged plug wire / closed plug gap?

Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about these rocker box gaskets. I had one spring a leak on my brand new 2016 FLHTCU, just a couple weeks after I rode it out of the dealer.

I knew replacement wasn't complicated so I did it myself rather than take to the dealer shop. New gaskets are cheap. Parts come off and go back on easy. There must be a lot of give in the parts because on my 2016 I wasn't able to get a torque wrench onto all of the fasteners. I guessed, using my calibrated elbow. It never leaked again in the following 35k miles.

Why they leak from the factory is probably due to sloppy work by the assemblers. I've found several things on my 2018 RGU that are due to plain and simple sloppy work at the factory.

xcbullet (06-09-2019)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,231 Likes on 17,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You haven't taken the bike back yet? Maybe it something simple like a damaged plug wire / closed plug gap?
Been a mechanic all my adult life, bikes since I was 16 this isn't some low grade mechanical issue it's a timing curve change and they are playing the dummy up about it.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Been a mechanic all my adult life, bikes since I was 16 this isn't some low grade mechanical issue it's a timing curve change and they are playing the dummy up about it.
So have they ridden the bike? What did they say?

Been working on bikes since I was 15. Did it professionally for 10 years. Have seen all kinds of issues on both sides of customer / service dept.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:24 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Check for an intake leak? Buddy had one that idled fine but had reduced power at about mid range and above. Cracked intake. He had just had the heads off....

Max Headflow (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Check for an intake leak? Buddy had one that idled fine but had reduced power at about mid range and above. Cracked intake. He had just had the heads off....
Good point, The plastic intake manifold has had issues.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket!!!