SE High Flow oil mess relief!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I was about to spend $400 on the Heavy Breather to mitigate the messy bs
Lol... dont do it! Had the heavy breather on my Road Glide Ultra. Sure the heavy breather flows ok, looks different and will stop the drip better than penicillin.... But it is so frkn noisy! Even with ear plugs every single tick, clak, clatter, rattle, etc. is amplified by a factor of 100. The longer tubes should help.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
You're full of ****. There are thousand's of these bikes running around without that kit that don't have any problem. No one needs to purchase that nonsense. Show me some statistics from the MOCO that says there is a problem and that the upgrade is needed. Where are all of the other M8 owners posting about the same problem? There ain't none. Just you.
My 2016 RK was in the shop last week for the same issue. The first 12k mikes it had zero issues. One day I pull in the garage and smell burning oil. Look down toward the header and saw smoke. Turned the bike off and noticed oil spray on the pipes, header and saddlebag. Took it in for warranty.

Their fix was, they cleaned the tubes which were clogged. Washed the bike and took it for a test run. They also said it I may have added too much oil at the last oil change. When I picked the bike up there was no oil on it. Rode it home, no issues. Today pulling in the garage I checked it and there were a few oil droplets on the header.

Long story short, it happened to me too.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
My 2016 RK was in the shop last week for the same issue. The first 12k mikes it had zero issues. One day I pull in the garage and smell burning oil. Look down toward the header and saw smoke. Turned the bike off and noticed oil spray on the pipes, header and saddlebag. Took it in for warranty.

Their fix was, they cleaned the tubes which were clogged. Washed the bike and took it for a test run. They also said it I may have added too much oil at the last oil change. When I picked the bike up there was no oil on it. Rode it home, no issues. Today pulling in the garage I checked it and there were a few oil droplets on the header.

Long story short, it happened to me too.
I don't believe it.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:12 AM
Ripcode
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so HD has made available replacement tubes that rest up higher and go deeper into the intake/throttle body opening..they were aware of the problems with these kits and these new tubes will prevent the dribbling mess..part #'s 29400271 A and 29400272 A ...$17.99 for the pair..I was about to spend $400 on the Heavy Breather to mitigate the messy bs so will be giving these new tubes a test ride soon
I had an oily mess and took it in a few weeks back to have it looked at. They cleaned it up and said everything looked fine. Came home from a ride last night and my wife's boots had drops of oil on them. I went out and checked the bike and yep, more oily mess.

I'm calling them about these updated parts tomorrow. Thanks Mjwebb for the info.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ripcode
I had an oily mess and took it in a few weeks back to have it looked at. They cleaned it up and said everything looked fine. Came home from a ride last night and my wife's boots had drops of oil on them. I went out and checked the bike and yep, more oily mess.

I'm calling them about these updated parts tomorrow. Thanks Mjwebb for the info.
I feel your pain. I cleaned by bike up yesterday after finally picking up a bike jack. Took it out for one hour last night, pulled in the garage and had oil spray on the header, pipes and rear saddlebag again. I am gonna take it in today. Hell I'll buy the parts myself if I can as I am sure the dealership is backlogged two weeks.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:49 AM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Longer tubes may help with the oil dripping by venting further into the throttle body but do you really want that hot oily air being sucked into your engine? There is no advantage to this other than emissions compliance.

I've externally vented my 114 with a little vented catch can, you can't tell it's there and you would be surprised the sh$t you see inside that can after 1000 miles, goopy condensated oil. I had vented my old twin cam engines this way as well, best $30 in parts you could spend. (in my opinion)

I know everyone will be on the warranty band wagon with this..seems to be common for this forum. Spoke with my dealer prior to doing this little home made mod, they said no warranty issues what so ever with an external vent (granted my local dealer is awesome to deal with and have always stood behind their customers, said the same with my Two Brothers system and FP3 tuner, sounds like some other dealers may not be so aftermarket friendly)

I've been running this set up for about 5000kms, bike runs smoother (as you would expect, cooler denser cleaner air sucked in) and no oil dripping from backing plate. Totally reversible if you want/need to remove it, just plug the 1/4" hole you have to drill in the backing plate once you remove.

The following users liked this post:
madmat (09-02-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

My deal is this bike has 14k miles on it since new. The Stage 1 was installed before delivery. It's just started this nonsense.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:43 AM
Ripcode
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
My deal is this bike has 14k miles on it since new. The Stage 1 was installed before delivery. It's just started this nonsense.
I'm at 3.3K and also had Stage 1 installed before delivery.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:55 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
Longer tubes may help with the oil dripping by venting further into the throttle body but do you really want that hot oily air being sucked into your engine? There is no advantage to this other than emissions compliance.

I've externally vented my 114 with a little vented catch can, you can't tell it's there and you would be surprised the sh$t you see inside that can after 1000 miles, goopy condensated oil. I had vented my old twin cam engines this way as well, best $30 in parts you could spend. (in my opinion)

I know everyone will be on the warranty band wagon with this..seems to be common for this forum. Spoke with my dealer prior to doing this little home made mod, they said no warranty issues what so ever with an external vent (granted my local dealer is awesome to deal with and have always stood behind their customers, said the same with my Two Brothers system and FP3 tuner, sounds like some other dealers may not be so aftermarket friendly)

I've been running this set up for about 5000kms, bike runs smoother (as you would expect, cooler denser cleaner air sucked in) and no oil dripping from backing plate. Totally reversible if you want/need to remove it, just plug the 1/4" hole you have to drill in the backing plate once you remove.

I like your fix good job! Could you provide a parts list please? I would like to do the same to mine. I'm still using the stock air cleaner cover and backing plate with K& N filter. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Same set up here SomeOldBiker..stock air cleaner cover/backing plate, K&N Filter.

The vented canister I bought here from ebay..I've seen them in Chrome and Black
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vented-Breat...72.m2749.l2649

1/4" hose you can get just about anywhere, think I bought 2' worth but maybe used 12"?
Two straight 1/4" barbed connectors, (connected one end into the stock rubber tube off the vented bolt) one 1/4" "T" to go through the backing plate and join the two hoses together as per the pic, and One 90deg 1/4" elbow (you cant see) to turn on the backside of the backing plate into the top of the vented canister. (all plastic connectors, could use brass if you cant find plastic ones locally but I would assume they are pretty common)
Drill 1/4" hole in the backing plate so the hose with the T connector is a snug fit going through and you're done
Pretty straight forward to assemble.

The following 3 users liked this post by Blackp5ca:
madmat (09-02-2018), Silent_Sapper (06-19-2019), SomeOld Biker (09-01-2018)

Quick Reply: SE High Flow oil mess relief!!