Sponsored by:

Forks

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Forks

Need some advice here. I own a 2017 Ultra Limited and like it a lot. First HD touring bike I've owned, and at 5,500 miles some questions are beginning to pile up. One of them has to do with the forks. My previous bikes all had electronically adjustable suspensions, so things could be changed at the push of a button.

Riding my Ultra I have noticed two things regarding the front forks:

1. There is a lot of brake dive. When I pull the front brake lever the nose of the bike drops like a dog picking up a milk-bone.

2. Over harsh bumps like sharp, mounded cracks in the pavement, it feels like there is no front suspension at all. The front wheel becomes unsettled and the shock of the bump is transmitted all the way up to the handlebars.

Short of spending big $$ on new suspension bits, is there some way of making the forks work better?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Maybe there is something wrong with your forks. My 2018 RGU, which I'm sure has the exact same forks as your Ultra Limited, handles road irregularities very well, with or without a passenger load.

For reference, I have owned several Japanese bikes that had various forms of fork adjustability. Also many bikes without adjustable forks. After all these years, I've come around to the idea that it is best, for me, to "break myself in" to the bike, rather than bend the bike to me.

I feel like the forks on my RGU are a very good middle place to be. They do dive under hard braking, but then so do all other motorcycles, except a very few with special designs, like the new Goldwing. Over the years, many attempts have been made to eliminate the braking dive but most of these have died within a few years. I think the reason is that the brake dive is inconsequential to the ride. Once you factor it in to your ride style, it goes away as a concern. If you're accustomed to a bike with very little dive, it might take awhile to get used to one that doesn't eliminate it. I understand the new Goldwing leaves a hint of dive in the front end, on purpose. There are also many reports of the front end on that bike feeling dead and remote. Maybe you lose something by trying to make the bike ride more like a car.

Overall, I'd say the Harley touring set up is as good as it gets. It is taught enough that spirited riding can be done two up without wallowing all over the road. It is plush enough that bumps are felt, but don't break our backs. I personally like it, as most riders do. If yours isn't special to you, maybe there's something wrong with it. Otherwise, maybe you just need to get used to it.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Haz (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:11 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,603 Likes on 4,450 Posts

one thing to make sure of is to have your rear preload/sag set properly as it affects how the front end behaves..inconsequential as far as overall compliance is concerned for the most part but should sets a baseline for best overall handling..my 17 RK is my first Harley, of many, that I haven't upgraded the suspension on because I feel like it's good enough as is...excessive brake dive was always the norm on previous models and i had to address it..I'm very satisfied with the overall feeling of front and rear compliance..far from as good as it could be but like I said, good enough to not spend money on for the first time

Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

The rear seems to be okay. My passenger and I have tried several settings and found one that is comfortable for us. It's about 8-10 clicks below the factory recommendation and produces a nice ride at the rear of the bike.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,603 Likes on 4,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
The rear seems to be okay. My passenger and I have tried several settings and found one that is comfortable for us. It's about 8-10 clicks below the factory recommendation and produces a nice ride at the rear of the bike.
well probably in the correct 30% sag ballpark..little changes can make noticeable different in the front end handling for sure.t..having to put a fork kit in it might be would be worthwhile for you..experimenting with different weight fluid isn't going to cure the diving..just pony up and get it right so you're happier riding it is my suggestion

Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I didn’t notice a lot of front end diving with my 17 Limited. I wonder why you have so much. Have the dealer check it out before you spend a lot upgrading as I honestly liked the 17 suspension a lot better than the 2014’s.

Michael Haz (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,291 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I would suggest heavier springs to lessen the dive and lighter oil to lighten impact over bumps. I've got a 17 RK and plan to try lighter oil when I take the forks apart for powdercoat. Spring on the RK are OK for me but I weigh about 190 and don't ride with a passenger plush the center of gravity is lower than RG or UG. (One of the reasons why I bought it)

Michael Haz (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 05:46 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I just put a chrome front end on mine and put redline 10w meduim oil back in it and what a difference that made it does not brake drive near as much feels firmer but the bumps actually feel smoother.

Michael Haz (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

The Screamin Eagle Fork Oil is a great inexpensive upgrade to the new forks. It will most likely cure exactly what your experiencing

Michael Haz (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Batwing Bob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2018 SGS does not dive as much as my 2015 SGS but once I put some better shocks on the rear the front now seems to be really bad at absorbing bumps, probably did not notice it until I got the rear under control, I will upgrade mine once the winter comes, even changing the oil is a lot of work on theses bike.

Quick Reply: Forks