Sponsored by:

M8 crank breathers are crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
When I first bought my bike oil carry over was no problem. Then the rings got seated and the weather got hot. Now, I am getting oil carry over on every ride. Have already thrown away the original air filter. After cleaning it a few times it was so oil soaked it was worthless. Lots of others are reporting issues. One member had his umbrella valves replaced and it made no difference. Harley better not have a problem, warrant wise, with people venting to atmosphere. Because we shouldn't be expected to buy new air filters every 3k miles.
So I have to ask a question here - Is this blow by noticeable without removing the air cleaner cover? I suppose I can answer my own question by taking the cover off and looking to see if its a problem (currently traveling on business), but was just curious to know if I'm not seeing it external to the cover, if I can stop worrying about it.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

The crappy breathers are also thought to lend to the sumping issues

Old 08-15-2018, 02:34 PM
RobertJO
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom - ST
Yes, don't want this crap going into your engine.

Getting it out increases performance, helps with cooling, and increases engine longevity.

LINK to external breather systems for Twin Cam and M8 engines.
Nothing wrong with installing a catch can. But understand that this sludge accumulating in your catch can in most cases enters the cylinders at such a slow rate that it burns away before accumulating. The ideal application for catch cans is on direct injected engines whose intake valves never see a fuel wash from the port injectors and this oily sludge cokes up on the back side of the intake valves and cakes the downstream side of the throttle body over time. Of course excessive vented residue that some are reporting over reasonably short mileage can be an issue even with port injection. So yea, nothing wrong with a catch can.

Last edited by RobertJO; 08-15-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Have always kept oil level at half way point on dipstick. The only oil I am having to add is an couple of oz here and there. Which makes sense as its ending up in the throttle body or the air filter.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:45 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
So I have to ask a question here - Is this blow by noticeable without removing the air cleaner cover? I suppose I can answer my own question by taking the cover off and looking to see if its a problem (currently traveling on business), but was just curious to know if I'm not seeing it external to the cover, if I can stop worrying about it.
I think that depends on which air cleaner you have. If you have a 107 with the stock air box it might not drip out. But I would remove the cover and inspect the air filter. I have the Ventilar air cleaner which is an open type. Its easier for it to drip out. I haven't so much dripping as the filter element getting saturated. On mine its easy to see. Just look at the bottom of the filter.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

The interesting part is its a problem that makes itself worse. When the air filter gets oil logged it becomes easier for the motor to suck air in through the breathers than it is to pull air through a dirty filter. In turn more crap gets sucked in. Easiest fix is a catch can. My evo actually does this sometimes even after I put new umbrella valves in.

I really think the sumping issue is a combination of things just like this. With a poor breather system it cant be good for crankcase pressure. It has to be a few things being off to cause the sump issue, it even explains why some bikes have it and some dont.

The following users liked this post:
Candler (05-30-2019)
Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

2018 RGU 7300 miles.

I recently cleaned my filter, using the book method of soapy water. The filter was removed after 7k miles. There was a fair amount of oil soaked into the bottom of the filter, directly below the breather hose, but nothing I could detect above. There was a dollop of oil sitting right on the bottom of the intake throat of the throttle body.

I'm thinking this oil on the throttle body, as well as the filter area below it, is dripping out of the hose during times the bike is shut down overnight in the garage. Couldn't be more than a drop here and there, but builds up over time.

Nothing much gets out of the filter element. The inside of the air box is all but dry of oil. My engine oil consumption is what I consider normal, a rate of about a quart every 5k miles.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
The interesting part is its a problem that makes itself worse. When the air filter gets oil logged it becomes easier for the motor to suck air in through the breathers than it is to pull air through a dirty filter. In turn more crap gets sucked in. Easiest fix is a catch can. My evo actually does this sometimes even after I put new umbrella valves in.

I really think the sumping issue is a combination of things just like this. With a poor breather system it cant be good for crankcase pressure. It has to be a few things being off to cause the sump issue, it even explains why some bikes have it and some dont.
Agree on all points. As you say, the more oil soaked the filter gets the worse the problem. And once the filter gets so oil soaked you cannot clean it enough to make a difference.

The following users liked this post:
eibo (08-27-2021)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 498 Posts

[QUOTE=Yamaharley;17597413]The interesting part is its a problem that makes itself worse. When the air filter gets oil logged it becomes easier for the motor to suck air in through the breathers than it is to pull air through a dirty filter. In turn more crap gets sucked in. Easiest fix is a catch can. My evo actually does this sometimes even after I put new umbrella valves

These are one way valves, you are going to have to explain how they can suck in.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

I have new stock breathers on the shelf. They are not exactly one-way, they do leak a bit.

Quick Reply: M8 crank breathers are crap