Sumping again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,434 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun

not one here has had 3-4 motors
just patched up junk motor the first 3 times. Than too far gone so moco sends out a simple crate motor too fix the dealer abortion. But not owning one u wouldn’t know that. Lmfao!!!
no bike mike and heatstroke💰
Clearly you have a habit of speaking when you have no facts. I had 3 stock 103s replaced. Replaced, not repaired. The last one they replaced my entire bike.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun

not one here has had 3-4 motors
just patched up junk motor the first 3 times. Than too far gone so moco sends out a simple crate motor too fix the dealer abortion. But not owning one u wouldn’t know that. Lmfao!!!
no bike mike and heatstroke💰
To factual correct the record, I had 4 M8 engines installed in my 2017 CVO Limited. The original factory 114 engine upgraded to a Stage IV 117 by an authorized dealership. That engine lasted 5500miles before it failed from sumping. Engine #2 was a brand new 114 M8 from the factory. It was upgraded to Stage IV under warranty and failed from sumping after 500 miles. The 3rd brand new 114 factory engine sumped after 2500 miles. The 4th factory engine runs fine.

4 failed engines does happen even if its a blue moon event.

The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,303 Likes on 17,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I may be wrong (i know someone will correct me) but hasn't Stonecold already figured out a fix for this?
He did a fix but honestly jury's still out on how effective it is long term. Get rid of the stock 3 piece throw out bearing rod and upgrade to the single long one like the old 4 speeds the moco came up with and most of the transfering issue will go away. Somewhere in here is a thread with detailed pics of the OEM rod and the end of the mainshaft, gotta be.060 - .080" slop in the fit of course it's going to pass oil by.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
Wasn't that fixed with the S&S twin geroter pump? Or is it too soon/unverified to say "fixed"?
Either the S&S or Fueling pump will help minimize chances of sumping. Late build 18s and 19s come with with Harleys latest pump a plate that helps maintain the pumps seal on the scavenge side. Are any of these are 100% fixes? I have no idea, but I have an S&S pump sitting in my den that will be installed soon.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Clearly you have a habit of speaking when you have no facts. I had 3 stock 103s replaced. Replaced, not repaired. The last one they replaced my entire bike.
Originally Posted by Heatwave

To factual correct the record, I had 4 M8 engines installed in my 2017 CVO Limited. The original factory 114 engine upgraded to a Stage IV 117 by an authorized dealership. That engine lasted 5500miles before it failed from sumping. Engine #2 was a brand new 114 M8 from the factory. It was upgraded to Stage IV under warranty and failed from sumping after 500 miles. The 3rd brand new 114 factory engine sumped after 2500 miles. The 4th factory engine runs fine.

4 failed engines does happen even if its a blue moon event.
As a "no bike mike" I don't get any say - even though I hire bikes (all sorts, too) weekly and have possibly ridden more different bikes than he has.
I just chose not to own at the moment as I'm hoping to not be here too long (why buy a bike only to sell it in 6 months when I fly out?)

And the fanbois message changes - first it's "non existent problem" then it becomes "no bike = you don't talk about it". An agenda to stop the discussion of the problems?

A - there IS a problem, how small or how big is pure conjecture. I doubt HD will release any truths on it - even some dealers were denying it. (My local dealer didn't, he had about 2 dozen M8s back in)

B - I'd rather wait and see if the 2019s have fixed the problem THEN buy.... rather than buying now and finding that the problems still exist and I've got a two-wheeled dead turkey. My money, my choice.

C - How does any of these problems affect the people how have the good bikes? They're all standing about screaming at other people to stop "dissing HD" and then riding off on non-sumping bikes. If I bought now and got a sumper - what do they care? And how does dropping £30 000 (UK) or $53 000 (AU) and ending up with a problem bike give me a "say in the game"?

D - They are morons... a lump of dried semen has more intelligence than they do.

So - yes, thank you for pointing out that there ARE replacement engines that still sump, not just "fixes". And I will still wait until it's MY time to buy (not theirs) and then see if HD have stopped the fluid transfer and sumping in the 2019 114 engines.

As an aside, i wonder if HD have read Stone's fluid transfer fix,,, or just tossed the papers in the bin.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,322 Likes on 1,306 Posts

and then see if HD have stopped the fluid transfer and sumping in the 2019 114 engines.
Fluid transfer is not an engine issue, it's a transmission issue. It affects touring bikes but it doesn't affect softails, because those two lines use different transmissions. Point is, it is incorrect to lump the transmission transfer as an M8 problem; it is a touring bike problem, and it affected twincams as well as m8's. It has to do with Harley's hydraulic clutch. It's nonexistent on softails with their cable clutch.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,799 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Sumpping is not an oil pump issue . It is the plate.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Fluid transfer is not an engine issue, it's a transmission issue. It affects touring bikes but it doesn't affect softails, because those two lines use different transmissions. Point is, it is incorrect to lump the transmission transfer as an M8 problem; it is a touring bike problem, and it affected twincams as well as m8's. It has to do with Harley's hydraulic clutch. It's nonexistent on softails with their cable clutch.
I can accept that - I was kinda lumping them together, I admit. But if you buy an M8 bike then you can get either problem.

Originally Posted by smitty901
Sumpping is not an oil pump issue . It is the plate.
I'm not too sure - S&S have stated that their twin geroter pump stops the sumping completely. I haven't seen many real-use reports though, not like Stone's fluid transfer fix (that's had real world testing and people reporting back here)

Let's face it, if HD knew it was "the plate" then it shoudln't have lasted as a problem for over two years (with multiple failed fixes).

At any rate - I'm still going to wait and see if the early adopter of the 2019 bike report anything. A 114 cc in a Tri-glide would be nice; but not able to buy until about Feb/March 19 anyway.
If HD haven't fixed it by then I'll buy a custom trike with a 2L turbocharged Ford engine and HD can kiss my *****.
Pity though, my '88 Softail was about the best bike I've ridden.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
never had a problem with any of my twin cams transferring with the hydraulic clutches. What else changed?

Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 557 Posts

S&S have stated that their twin geroter pump stops the sumping completely.
I don't think this is an accurate statement. I've heard, by speaking with S&S on the phone, and read the opposite. Their pump and plate will have increased scavenge capabilities, minimizing the potential for sumping. BUT... It's by no means a guarantee.

Quick Reply: Sumping again...