Sponsored by:

rode the FXDR today

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:28 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Pretty much looks like a drag bike.
I would last 10 minutes on it because I would be sore.
If I wanted to have a performance bike that would make me uncomfortable, I would just spring for a Ducati Superbike.
Meanwhile, I love my 2018 Heritage. With the backrest and Sundowner seat, it is the most comfortable and most roadable bike ever.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:46 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Pretty much looks like a drag bike.
I would last 10 minutes on it because I would be sore.
If I wanted to have a performance bike that would make me uncomfortable, I would just spring for a Ducati Superbike.
Meanwhile, I love my 2018 Heritage. With the backrest and Sundowner seat, it is the most comfortable and most roadable bike ever.
agree, my initial impression anyway is, I'd be very surprised if it finished very high in a track shootout against bikes in the class/category it's designed to compete against..it's still all Harley. the trans is clunky, engine isn't super smooth, it has vibration and noise and when you throw in the price tag..well, I'm sure there's better choices out there.. sort of a niche/novelty type of thing I guess..but my test ride was far from being a creditable one, being brand new tires, brakes and not wanting to beat on the rpms, etc...and at 56, 6'3" and 230 pounds with a busted up body it would be like me trying to be a jockey and trying to compete in the Kentucky derby on any of the sportier bikes

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-08-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Definatly looks like the "Kia" of the Harley lineup.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Wow, that does look really small under you. At 5'9", my Breakout fits me perfectly, and i'm guessing the FXDR will be really similar. The forward controls on my Breakout aren't as much of a stretch as on older Harleys i've tried, i find it very comfortable. Looking forward to trying the FXDR, the looks are growing on me, but not enough that i'd trade my Breakout for one.
I'm 5'7" and sat on one yesterday. Felt okay to me. Footpegs are the same as all the rest of the Softies. Clip ons are a bit to short and low, but I don't think they'd be awful. Air cleaner doesn't get in the way of my leg. Fat Bob fits me like a glove. I wish it came with the front wheel of the FXDR and a matching 180. Not a big fan of the balloon tire look. Breakout is gorgeous. Can't see why anyone would want one of these over it.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I can kinda see what HD have done, a FXR for the next generation!
Not sure if I want one, don't hate it though.
In another 20 years it maybe collectable!??

Old 09-08-2018, 12:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
I can kinda see what HD have done, a FXR for the next generation!
Not sure if I want one, don't hate it though.
In another 20 years it maybe collectable!??
in 20 years that $22,000 spent on Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or Google will be a better 'collectible', probably $150,000..just sayin'....LOL

Billsbuffalo (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by saddlebag
Breakout is gorgeous. Can't see why anyone would want one of these over it.
I'm just curious as to how much better it performs than the Breakout. It's a lot of extra money over a Breakout, and apart from a few degrees of lean i'm not seeing much on paper. Will be interesting to see how much difference the dual disc and inverted forks make.
I'm definitely not selling my Breakout, i've only had it a couple of months and i'm in love with it. I already have a load of extra money sunk into it, so i'm going to be keeping it for quite some time.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:33 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Finally got to lay eyes on 1 in person today. I can honestly say it looks a helluva lot better than in the photos. The fit n finish on it is spot on. Kinda reminded me of The Breakout CVO.

Im 5’10 and never really had a problem reach wise on motorcycles. With that being said the ergos on this bike are insane!!! Not sure who they designed it for!?!? I had trouble reaching the bars and finding a comfortable relaxed position. It kinda folded me in half like a lawn chair. I had a Nightrod a few years back and it put you in a similar forward leaned position but this seemed to be even more exaggerated. Didn’t get to test ride it cause of the rain but I can’t imagine this being more than a bar hopper

Last edited by MatteGlide15; 09-08-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb

was just killing time waiting for my bike, and yeah at 6’3” it’s small and uncomfortable
A gotdam circus bear!

mjwebb (09-08-2018)