Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started using/transferring oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

My 2018 RGU can be a little maddening to me when oil checking. It will vary from time to time. Bike now has almost 9k miles. I check it about every 800 to 1000 miles now that it's all broke in, but in the early miles I checked it almost daily. I got readings that varied by three and four dots.

The thing that works best for me, is to forget about the oil for at least 1k miles at a time. When I do check it, I make sure all conditions are as identical as the last time as possible. BTW, how hot the motor is makes a surprising difference. Colder the motor, lower the reading, and vice visa. So I try to aim for Very Hot Engine so as to get the highest possible reading.

I expect some variances and some oil usage, so the trend on the dip will be gradually downward, and will blip up or down a couple dots or three. My bike uses, but only about a quart in 5k miles. Because of heat and heavy traffic riding here in SoCal I change my oil every 2500 miles. Usage is not a problem for me.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:07 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
You are correct, I knew that after reading the forums, head in the clouds LOL. At any rate, I don't know why it would all of a sudden start burning oil, after 2500 miles. Before and after the 1K service, the level stayed dead on same level. It's just weird that it would start now. I know several things can cause oil consumption. Cracked head, valve stem seals, piston rings, cylinder bore. Sad part is HD will do nothing unless it is consuming more than what they consider "normal". I have been checking it cold, sitting in garage on jiffy stand. I check it the same way every time and it has always been at the same level, until now. I don't know what changed.
I checked my oil one time, just came out to the garage, pulled the stick and it was low. I added oil. When I came back from a ride that day I let it idle upright for a couple minutes and then shut it off. I let it set a bit and checked the oil again, now I'm over full. So the nature of this beast is that the position of the oil scavenge pickup is such that quite a bit of oil can be trapped in the sump and crankcase, especially if you let it idle for any amount of time on the side stand. Try idling it upright for a few minutes when you return from your ride and then checking it after it sets for ten or fifteen minutes. If you've been checking it cold then check it the next morning. You might find that oil you lost.

The following users liked this post:
FatBob2018 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 256 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I checked my oil one time, just came out to the garage, pulled the stick and it was low. I added oil. When I came back from a ride that day I let it idle upright for a couple minutes and then shut it off. I let it set a bit and checked the oil again, now I'm over full. So the nature of this beast is that the position of the oil scavenge pickup is such that quite a bit of oil can be trapped in the sump and crankcase, especially if you let it idle for any amount of time on the side stand. Try idling it upright for a few minutes when you return from your ride and then checking it after it sets for ten or fifteen minutes. If you've been checking it cold then check it the next morning. You might find that oil you lost.
Thanks, I will try that. I pulled the derby off, and the fluid was at the opening, just about to run over, with the bike on a lift, so level, and it was darker that new fluid, looked like it might have had engine oil in it, or maybe just wear material. It has 2K since the 1K service.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

Thanks, I will try that. I pulled the derby off, and the fluid was at the opening, just about to run over, with the bike on a lift, so level, and it was darker that new fluid, looked like it might have had engine oil in it, or maybe just wear material. It has 2K since the 1K service.
If the primary fluid was about to run out the derby cover opening, then it is receiving oil from somewhere. Check your transmission level, if it is full or at least on the dipstick then I would think you have an engine seal leaking. If it’s under warranty leave everything the way it is and take it to your dealer and explain to them what you have found. Using oil they won’t do anything about unless it is a quart per thousand miles, but if it is pushing engine oil past the main seal into the primary they should fix it.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 416 Likes on 252 Posts

I haven't checked my oil level yet. Just took it in for the 10k mile service. Runs great!
Ha - hope this doesn't jinx it.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

The Primary oil gets dark quick because of the wet clutch. As for the volume, are you sure that the bike was level, or was it the stand that was but the bike had a high front wheel? Check the trans fluid to see if the oil is on the stick at the hash marks. It is somewhat difficult to read though. Check your engine oil as recommended above or in the manual. But make sure that you do it the correct/same way each time.
Thanks, Dutchy

Old 09-18-2018, 09:56 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
As for the volume, are you sure that the bike was level, or was it the stand that was but the bike had a high front wheel?
Thanks, Dutchy
Ko-rect! My J&S floor jack stand doesn't bring the bike level. Not even close. As the bike comes off the floor, the jack flexes to the left allowing the bike to tilt noticeably. It also tilts fore and aft. Add that to my garage floor not being level.

I check levels with bike on the floor only. I move the bike to the most level spot on the garage floor. For primary, I sit on the bike, bring it level, and check the primary oil with a mirror and flashlight.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain

Originally Posted by $tonecold

If the primary fluid was about to run out the derby cover opening, then it is receiving oil from somewhere. Check your transmission level, if it is full or at least on the dipstick then I would think you have an engine seal leaking. If it’s under warranty leave everything the way it is and take it to your dealer and explain to them what you have found. Using oil they won’t do anything about unless it is a quart per thousand miles, but if it is pushing engine oil past the main seal into the primary they should fix it.
I will have to check my J&S lift for level, it looks level, but I will put a level on it to be sure. If it is still showing hi in the primary, I suspect that may be where the engine oil is going. The primary fluid was not the typical silver/gray, but more dirty/dark like engine oil. The trans fluid has never dropped.

Last edited by Timberwolf2017; 09-18-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain

Update. I just talked to my dealer and they told me to bring it in Saturday and they will replace the seal. He said from what I was describing, it is transferring motor oil into the primary, they have seen this before. I believe this is the issue since she never used a drop until now.