Sponsored by:

Will PPI Detect Sump Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:02 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Will PPI Detect Sump Issue?

I have been 90% certain I'll go buy a '19 RGS until tonight started wondering what I could get for, say, $20K that is already well-equipped. I found a '17 bike M8 with 3500 miles on it and very well equipped, stage 1, bars, etc. The owner reports having zero issues, of course. It's tempting as it'd be $13K-$14K less than a new '19 by the time I equip as I'd want...but if it's a mess mechanically, that'd suck of course.

Given this sumping issue I've been reading about, is there a way via a PPI to tell if it has been, or will be, an issue? Or is it a matter of trusting both the owner has not had issues and the fortunes of the bike gods...?

Thanks!!

Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by sgnden
I have been 90% certain I'll go buy a '19 RGS until tonight started wondering what I could get for, say, $20K that is already well-equipped. I found a '17 bike M8 with 3500 miles on it and very well equipped, stage 1, bars, etc. The owner reports having zero issues, of course. It's tempting as it'd be $13K-$14K less than a new '19 by the time I equip as I'd want...but if it's a mess mechanically, that'd suck of course.

Given this sumping issue I've been reading about, is there a way via a PPI to tell if it has been, or will be, an issue?
OK, in the massive archives around this issue I've now found enough 'understandable' information/opinions/stories/examples/whodunnits etc, around the M8 sumping. I realized that my title is not great for the original post but can't change or delete since it has been more than 4 hours (not a fan, but that's beside the point). Probably because I was JUST using a sump pump to drain a hot tub....ha.

Anyway, it sounds like I just need to trust when the guy with 3500 miles on a '17 RGS says he's selling only because of time...not issues. Though putting a LOT of cash into the bike then turning around and selling gives me pause.

I would delete the original post if I could, sorry that it's surely a sore and run-down topic! Trying NOT to let all of the chatter about the sumping M8 chase me away from a '17+ RG.

Last edited by sgnden; 09-17-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Can't say but ask yourself, has HD done anything to address the sumping and transfer with the 19? Possible? If you were already set to toss the coin at a new RGS, are you really willing to settle for a bike that is possibly likely to experience either or both of these issues? I had "The Fix" done to mine but wonder why the person is selling the 17. Maybe same reason or upgrading to a 19?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Can't say but ask yourself, has HD done anything to address the sumping and transfer with the 19? Possible? If you were already set to toss the coin at a new RGS, are you really willing to settle for a bike that is possibly likely to experience either or both of these issues? I had "The Fix" done to mine but wonder why the person is selling the 17. Maybe same reason or upgrading to a 19?
Yessir, that's the quandary for sure. Though the guy selling is a LEO, he did tell me what the Indian dealer would give in trade. Obviously, if a guy is selling strictly because he doesn't have time to ride, why would he be talking to an Indian dealer about trades?

<sigh> This is already more hassle than I want and steadily building F.U.D. around these bikes. Really a shame. I am thinking I'll just find a tried-and-true bike used and wait for the '19s to prove themselves under real-life use in the market.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

On a 107 with stage 1 your chances of it sumping are pretty low. There have been a few reports of that happening, but they are few and far between. Transferring oil from the transmission to the primary is somewhat more prevalent. It is possible that the current owner wouldn't even be aware that it is happening. Have you checked the transmission level on the bike? Even if it is happening it is an easy fix. "The Fix" cost $210 and is pretty simple to install. So if you like the 2017 buy it. If it sumps you have saved enough money on it to go aftermarket big bore which will solve the sumping problem.

The following users liked this post:
sgnden (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnden

Given this sumping issue I've been reading about, is there a way via a PPI to tell if it has been, or will be, an issue? Or is it a matter of trusting both the owner has not had issues and the fortunes of the bike gods...?

Thanks!!
Ask a dealer to at least look up the bike's VIN to see what issues have been reported to HD before buying the bike. Also ask if the bike's factory warranty had been voided. If the warranty was voided and the seller didn't tell you upfront, don't just walk away....RUN! If he didn't tell you about the voided warranty, then there's a WHOLE lot more he didn't tell you about the bike. Easy check you can do over the phone.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Ask a dealer to at least look up the bike's VIN to see what issues have been reported to HD before buying the bike. Also ask if the bike's factory warranty had been voided. If the warranty was voided and the seller didn't tell you upfront, don't just walk away....RUN! Easy check you can do over the phone.
Good advice!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Eccool
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

What is PPI?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Four words. "Buy It and Extended Warranty".

Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eccool
What is PPI?
Pre-Purchase Inspection.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (09-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Will PPI Detect Sump Issue?