Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Road King Tach? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1255269-road-king-tach.html)

hbsoldier3 09-27-2018 08:39 PM

Road King Tach?

Planning on getting a 2018/19 Road King soon. Did a search, but came up empty. My question is, can a Road King Police Tachometer, P/N 67042-04D be used with the mount to the Handle bar cover. The new cop bikes have the Tach in the console and the Speedo on the bar mount. Hoping that a new FLHR has the plug in the nacelle for this. Anyways spend the last four hours trying to figure it out, with no avail.

Thanx in advance,
Paul

Vonswanko 09-27-2018 10:03 PM

I'd be interested in knowing this too..time to go check out the parts catalog.

TwiZted Biker 09-27-2018 10:16 PM

RK's have a tach function on the speedo, mine stays in that mode. With the power band these things have tachs almost an afterthought, if your pushing it hard enough to need a tach you'll be too busy to look at it.

hbsoldier3 09-27-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 17715415)
RK's have a tach function on the speedo, mine stays in that mode. With the power band these things have tachs almost an afterthought, if your pushing it hard enough to need a tach you'll be too busy to look at it.

Hence, why I am looking for a heads up tach.

TwiZted Biker 09-27-2018 10:35 PM

A chat with the smiling face at the parts counter sometime maybe ?

jg4760 09-27-2018 11:04 PM

I put this on my 18 RK:
74776-11C - ANALOG SPEEDO/TACH 5IN BLK DIAL
Not as good as a heads-up tach, but much better than the tiny LCD display. 15 minutes to swap out the factory speedo, then another hour screwing around with the color settings lol.

Cbyway 09-27-2018 11:19 PM

I tried and was not successful in doing so. I purchased the Police King tach (Pre-14) and mount from a local Harley dealer and was told they could make it work.

I had the bezel sent out to be chromed. Made my appt to have it installed. After 4hrs of trying was told it couldn't be done due to the can bus system on the newer bikes.

The dealer refunded all the parts and 3 hrs labor. Actually I put a portion refunded money toward the factory security system and was only charged 1/2 hour labor.

I asked the same question you did here and received a PM from another member (Max Headflow) telling me it was impossible. I told the dealer what the member had advised me and he stated for sure it could be done and all they needed to do was find the right "trigger wire". He had egg on his face that day.

Max Headflow if your reading this....I should have listened to you buddy. Would have saved me $25 :icon_laugh:

Here is the link to the thread I started.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...1220757&page=1

nobodyknowsme 09-28-2018 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cbyway (Post 17715481)
I tried and was not successful in doing so. I purchased the Police King tach (Pre-14) and mount from a local Harley dealer and was told they could make it work.

I had the bezel sent out to be chromed. Made my appt to have it installed. After 4hrs of trying was told it couldn't be done due to the can bus system on the newer bikes.

The dealer refunded all the parts and 3 hrs labor. Actually I put a portion refunded money toward the factory security system and was only charged 1/2 hour labor.

I asked the same question you did here and received a PM from another member (Max Headflow) telling me it was impossible. I told the dealer what the member had advised me and he stated for sure it could be done and all they needed to do was find the right "trigger wire". He had egg on his face that day.

Max Headflow if your reading this....I should have listened to you buddy. Would have saved me $25 :icon_laugh:

Here is the link to the thread I started.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...1220757&page=1

$25 for a half hour labor? That place is either stuck in time a couple decades ago or really values a customer. Stick with them AND their integrity.

jdsooner 09-28-2018 06:26 AM

Would be a great option to have the tach and or speedometer mounted to the handle bars on the road king or softtails. Did not like having to take my eyes off the road to view speed/tach when i owned my roadking. Perhaps something harley should look into. Maybe time for a poll if enough interest?

6113_ 09-28-2018 07:09 AM

I asked a couple dealers back in January but neither knew enough about much of anything to come up with an answer. Laidlaw's had a police bike at the time, same thing as OP said, tach is where the speedometer is and speedo is relocated to the handlebars. You can see the tach in the parts catalogs, but I don't know if there's enough information to tell what cables are used or if anything has to be reprogrammed to make it work

something is obviously out there that brings it all together as police bikes are coming from the factory with a seperate tach and speedometer