Sponsored by:

117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I don't know about the percentages of bikes that sump, wouldn't even care to make a "guess". But I will say for the unfortunate people that have sumping it's 100%.
A-man to that. I just saw a good friend go through this with a trike and it wasn't good. He's retired and rode alot but his bike was down for 2 months because of this issue and I will not trade because of this BS the mothership is dishing out. I'm just glad they have redisgned the water pumps the 2014's through 2016 models, at least one step in the right direction I guess. LOL

Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTz

That adds to the mystery. Why it took 5500 miles to do it. I trust that they are frantic. It’s just a much bigger and complex issue then most people can appreciate. There is nothing in it for them to continue to have these issues. There is an art form to rectifying an issue like this within the boundaries of certification and costs. They will not self bankrupt themselves nor will they violate clear EPA requirements. That is where the elegance comes in. Only time will tell. Thanks for the feedback.
Well stated. But whats missing for me is transparent communication between HD and their loyal customers. Silence is no longer a positive reflection on this company. If they believe there are 2019 bikes on dealership showroom floors that have obsolete oil pumps that make a new bike susceptible to sumping, they should IMMEDIATELY take the necessary steps to remove every single one of those bikes from inventory. And then every one of those new bikes should be updated with the latest oil pump design BEFORE the bike is sold to a customer. Instead they just keep pushing product out the door KNOWING its defective.

Last edited by Heatwave; 10-02-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:15 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Pensioncracker
Im about to pull my hair out but i cant. Im bald. Im 58 years old been riding harleys since 1980.

i figured id treat myself to a new 2018 CVO Limited with the 117 C.I. engine. And i did. At 600 miles the oil pump sumped and bike overheated and died. Bike went to dealer. I went to Uber with my girl and went home.

Oil pump was changed for the "revised" oil pump and two weeks later i got my bike back.

The bike ran until 700 miles then the engine started to sound like it was coming apart. Back i go to dealer. This time the cam assembly bracket had cracked. They replaced both.

Why no recall or bulliten on this i dont know. They replaced it or them not sure with a "redesigned" bracket.
How there was a redesigned improved bracket in july when i just took delivery end of April i dont know.

On the dealers test of the brand new top end it overheated again at 13 miles. They also found the pistons scoring the walls of the cylinders. I requested a new engine from millwalkie. They said sorry. I begged. They said sorry.
i posted this story on the stockholders web site and 3 days later i had a new engine. Problem solved. No.

With new engine on 75 degree day riding 1 up the bike again overheated to 308 degrees and sumped. The bike was full of oil cold before i left the house. I was on the return leg of 200 mile day and the bike got sluggish on the highway.
i pulled over and checked the engine temp it was 308 degrees and there was no oil on the stick meaning at least a quart of oil was sumped and stuck up in the engine not able to find its way down to the pan.

Shes back at the dealer now and they said the cylinders are also scored again. They have a few 117's doing this and the fact that an engine replacement didnt fix this issue is concerning.

The bike will be down about 8 weeks in total since end of April.
I love this bike. It is the most powerfull bike ive ever had and the most gorgeous machine ever....but....it is unreliable as is the Factories ability to get to the root cause.

wish me luck...
thanks
OK, what I really don't understand is how having too much oil in the engine case (sumping) causes scored cylinders? I don't get that. Every other symptom makes sense to me other than that.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by jpooch00
OK, what I really don't understand is how having too much oil in the engine case (sumping) causes scored cylinders? I don't get that. Every other symptom makes sense to me other than that.
Its all about the heat. Full crankcase of oil that should have less than 6 ounces will eventually have the oil boiling. All that heat caused by friction expands metals and degrades the lubrication properties of the oil. Waaalaaaa, scored cylinder walls.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm sorry to see yet another thread like this.

The M8's are ate up with bad engineering, production and parts sourcing. My dealership owner went to the Mothership and chewed on HQ's butt about how bad the M8 launch has been and the massive warranty issues they have had to deal with just before the 2019 launch party. The consent decree, warranties being voided and how HD has been screwing the heck out of loyal and new customers. The dealer itself is not losing customers because they are a multiline dealer. So they put riders on Hondas or Suzuki's and the customers end up happy in the long run. They have been a HD dealer since the late 1950's. I can remember the dealership in the mid 1960's as a little boy. I'm still waiting on the revised clutch lever for the left bar switch pack. I've ordered the oil pump plate and o-ring on my own dime. Lord only knows how long that will take to ship and the adjustable rockers.

There is no doubt at my dealer, this is the worse new motor launch in my dealers history concerning HD. The problems are much more widespread than people think they are and used M8's have flooded the market at historic levels.

Last edited by psyshack; 10-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Not an ostrich but happy with my 2017 cvo limited. Just turned 12k miles, completely stock with slip ons. No issues of any kind.
And we are supposed to believe you? Hah!!!
LMAO

The following users liked this post:
mastergunnera8 (11-21-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,861 Likes on 18,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
As most people here know, I feel your pain.
Tell 'em Keith ... He's preachin' to the choir ! ;<(

Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I'm sorry to see yet another thread like this.

The M8's are ate up with bad engineering, production and parts sourcing. My dealership owner went to the Mothership and chewed on HQ's butt about how bad the M8 launch has been and the massive warranty issues they have had to deal with just before the 2019 launch party. The consent decree, warranties being voided and how HD has been screwing the heck out of loyal and new customers. The dealer itself is not losing customers because they are a multiline dealer. So they put riders on Hondas or Suzuki's and the customers end up happy in the long run. They have been a HD dealer since the late 1950's. I can remember the dealership in the mid 1960's as a little boy. I'm still waiting on the revised clutch lever for the left bar switch pack. I've ordered the oil pump plate and o-ring on my own dime. Lord only knows how long that will take to ship and the adjustable rockers.

There is no doubt at my dealer, this is the worse new motor launch in my dealers history concerning HD. The problems are much more widespread than people think they are and used M8's have flooded the market at historic levels.
Now is NOT the time to buy any used 2016/17/18 Harley! Actually... never is the right time to buy one of the pre-2019 M8 engined bikes second hand... If they were good then the owners would keep them, they are being sold because they are likely sumped-buggered and will cost $$$$$ to repair.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Than there are the 98 % of us that just flat ride the ship out the m8. This reported stumping sounds awful fishy....NJ and 3 posts? Maybe our favorite stumper knows his ip addresses are being checked. Lol.... Even wording is close . Sorry not buying this one . The post was purposely DUMMED UP..... CAM bracket? Really...... Lmfao again.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Than there are the 98 % of us that just flat ride the ship out the m8. This reported stumping sounds awful fishy....NJ and 3 posts? Maybe our favorite stumper knows his ip addresses are being checked. Lol.... Even wording is close . Sorry not buying this one . The post was purposely DUMMED UP..... CAM bracket? Really...... Lmfao again.
Nope. Heatwave has only one HDForum membership. Same one I've had for a decade!

Last edited by Heatwave; 10-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles