Sponsored by:

117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,909 Likes on 3,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Than there are the 98 % of us that just flat ride the ship out the m8. This reported stumping sounds awful fishy....NJ and 3 posts? Maybe our favorite stumper knows his ip addresses are being checked. Lol.... Even wording is close . Sorry not buying this one . The post was purposely DUMMED UP..... CAM bracket? Really...... Lmfao again.
Naw, come on. You can't be serious... you're being facetious, right?

You know how long it takes the moco to build a new line (2019's) and then ship them to every dealer in the world, on time? These 2019's were on the factory floor then in a warehouse stacked up for a couple months (maybe longer) prior to release. The new cam plate and O ring are a new release and I'm sure the first round of 2019's didn't get the revised setup. At least it's being reported that everyone who's gotten the new plate, o'ring and pump have not sumped. It's a serious issue but not one worthy of a recall.

Remember when the moco released the water cooled bikes? We had a slew of overheated bikes bubbling over for a year or more. Now that problem is behind us. This is definitely not a joke and while S&S makes some of the best parts in HD history, I don't think the new camplate and o ring work with the revised S&S oil pump. I give S&S about a month and they will have a new pump that works with the new camplate and then all will be good if you want to use that pump.

OS

Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Naw, come on. You can't be serious... you're being facetious, right?

You know how long it takes the moco to build a new line (2019's) and then ship them to every dealer in the world, on time? These 2019's were on the factory floor then in a warehouse stacked up for a couple months (maybe longer) prior to release. The new cam plate and O ring are a new release and I'm sure the first round of 2019's didn't get the revised setup. At least it's being reported that everyone who's gotten the new plate, o'ring and pump have not sumped. It's a serious issue but not one worthy of a recall.

Remember when the moco released the water cooled bikes? We had a slew of overheated bikes bubbling over for a year or more. Now that problem is behind us. This is definitely not a joke and while S&S makes some of the best parts in HD history, I don't think the new camplate and o ring work with the revised S&S oil pump. I give S&S about a month and they will have a new pump that works with the new camplate and then all will be good if you want to use that pump.

OS
hey I am all set never had a problem thank you......but am running SS plate and pump after seeing how cheap and simple of and install it was . (Was going to install one when I did engine upgrades after first year anyway) But I do remember the cooling system leaks and first problems with a few in the first weeks of the Rushmore release .
Nothing new for the MOCO. Guys that buy into these just didn't do the homework on all the past years of screw ups. Bad compensators ,over tight primary chain tensioners, cam tensioners, bad cam bearings,lifters coming apart,blown stators , radios let go ( iron cross made a good living fixing those)wheel bearings, trans transfer even way back, crap suspension from factory( much better now) HeII my shovel sumps now and than. Lol. My EVO used to eat base gaskets and everybody bit ched about the cam bearings. Nothing new.
But just because u spend 50k on a 15 k MOCO bike won't make it any better. Still a good ole familiar farm tractor that most overpay for. I'll ride one till I can't .......
But some of us just don't like the other brands.....

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 10-03-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

maybe its my age , have any of you ever heard the story of chicken little . The sky is not falling and if it does best to be wot anyway . This is not taking away from any sumpers that really sux ,but i dont think harley has kicked anyone to the curb if they played by the rules that they were given up front . does not make is sux any less but they are working on it , they dont know what they dont know .

pfft you think its bad in hd world thats only cause you have not put your hands on anything T4 just sayen

you all have a great night its bike night only 2 left time to do sumpin bhabhabahbh

Last edited by jsrracing; 10-03-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:18 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jsrracing
maybe its my age , have any of you ever heard the story of chicken little . The sky is not falling and if it does best to be wot anyway . This is not taking away from any sumpers that really sux ,but i dont think harley has kicked anyone to the curb if they played by the rules that they were given up front . does not make is sux any less but they are working on it , they dont know what they dont know .

pfft you think its bad in hd world thats only cause you have not put your hands on anything T4 just sayen

you all have a great night its bike night only 2 left time to do sumpin bhabhabahbh
Enjoy the ride & below isn’t directed at you jsrracing but I’m sure this will get sorted, it will & when it does I’ll be buying a CVO SG or RG but it’s not like any of the other issues that guys bring up that Harley’s or even any modern auto or bike manufacturers have had in the past, that I can recall anyway..

I’ve never seen a launch where brand new motors grenade at this rate & even “fixed” multiple times for people (3 times for OP) where their bikes were supposedly repaired, that alone is the worst part of it, it’s new engines blowing (on a Harley what else is there) & unprecedented imo in terms of frequency & w/ such low mileage but then making this whole catastrophic engine failure so much worse even is you add 1) It’s still happening 3 freakin years running 2) There’s been no campaign or recall to repair bikes that it could happen to 3) There’s been 8 whatever attempts to fix the problem 4) Not positive but it appears Harley doesn’t know what bikes have what fix, seems they have to open up 2019’s to tell if the bike has the new cover & seal? That goes against all correctly followed standards in manufacturing processes & if true is especially shocking considering the circumstances. So likely they’ll never install this new seal on all in stock/unsold 2019’s because it’s like a Forrest Gump Box of Chocolates. 5) No aftermarket, proven solution, I’m sure that’s because it’s still an unknown or due to multiple part/design failures 6) It’s likely there’s many factor of bikes out there today that are semi-sumping, not running optimally/too much oil in the case & the customer is complete unaware. 7) Zero communication about the extent of the problem or even the mechanics of why it’s happening from the manufacturer to customers & 8) Even dealerships are left guessing & “fixing” blown motors where even the mechanics are completely uninformed & unaware of why it’s happening & the root cause of the failures (that scenario is especially bad for so many reasons)

Never seen anything like it. And if people who haven’t had a sumping problem w/ their 17/18 M8 think they’re completely unaffected, well what’s re-sale going to look like. All of the above compounds & exacerbates the actual mechanical sumping problem & if anyone can name a problem that Harley has had where literally brand new motors blow up at this rate & have all or even most of the above issues that make the problem even more frustrating for owners & perspective buyers be happy to hear about it.

they don’t know what they don’t know
True, but as the largest bike manufacturer on earth w/ I’m sure the largest R&D, design, engineering & manufacturing budgets of any bike manufacturer & charging upwards of $44k (OP) for their motorcycles, shouldn’t they know/ have known? ... I’ll take your quote, one step further:

There’s things you know you know. There’s things you know you don’t know. And there’s things you don’t know you don’t know.

But if the above is MoCo’s new marketing slogan, ahhhh’ll think I’ll wait till they bring back their first slogan, a corny version from 1910:

”Always a trusty Friend”

Last edited by STRADALE; 10-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by STRADALE:
Campy Roadie (10-04-2018), jsrracing (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
Now is NOT the time to buy any used 2016/17/18 Harley! Actually... never is the right time to buy one of the pre-2019 M8 engined bikes second hand... If they were good then the owners would keep them, they are being sold because they are likely sumped-buggered and will cost $$$$$ to repair.
There's a guy on ADV Rider who's been trying to offload an '18 Heritage with the 114 since last December. He bumps the listing every now and again, usually lowering the price each time. Now he's down to $16,500. I can't help but wonder what would cause buyers remorse so fast?

https://advrider.com/f/threads/price...le-nc.1271198/

I suppose Adventure Rider isn't the target market for a Harley, but I sold my T-Sport on there back in 2011 so...

Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
There's a guy on ADV Rider who's been trying to offload an '18 Heritage with the 114 since last December. He bumps the listing every now and again, usually lowering the price each time. Now he's down to $16,500. I can't help but wonder what would cause buyers remorse so fast?

I suppose Adventure Rider isn't the target market for a Harley, but I sold my T-Sport on there back in 2011 so...

ADVRider has a significant anti Harley bias. Was that way since the beginning of that forum. The vast majority of the folks there are all about dual sport BMW GS/ Triumph Tiger etc. Last place I would try and sell a Harley. I am a regular on that forum. I just happen to love Harley as well as my Triumph Tiger and all my other bikes.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:35 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard

Ive been a member over there for years, that would be the last place I would list a Harley. If you read the whole thread it’s obvious he doesn’t really want to sell it.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Pensioncracker
Supporter
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A tech rep came today and saw the bike.
He called me and said they found the rear cylinder oil jet loose. Also that it sumped.
They have installed 2 new complete jugs, pistons, etc and bike will be ready tomorrow.
I agreed to put the stock pipes back on and remove the Reinharts. It was good talking to him. First guy from hd that ever called me and answered my questions. I hope this leads me to a lifetime of no issues going forward. I think i paid my dues...lol

To the fellow looking for the hd stock web site if you get to that desperation point i dont have a link. I just googled hog stock and worked my way into the finance posting boards from there. Before you do that make sure you have a case number with hd cust service and end each call asking for someone to call you back.
If you repeatedly never get called back like i was, i see no shame posting to the stock holders site. Sad to have to do that but i had to.

Night fellas....

Old 10-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Pensioncracker
Supporter
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Than there are the 98 % of us that just flat ride the ship out the m8. This reported stumping sounds awful fishy....NJ and 3 posts? Maybe our favorite stumper knows his ip addresses are being checked. Lol.... Even wording is close . Sorry not buying this one . The post was purposely DUMMED UP..... CAM bracket? Really...... Lmfao again.
I can appreciate your comments however i traded in my 2009 SG with 50,000 dealer free miles. I been riding 30 years and i am a die hard HD guy. My former screen name was Gliden and I left the boards for 2 years due to some family issues but came back and couldnt get my screen name to work so i changed it.

Just want you to know the 3 post thing is true and i too would be suspicious...lol
Im not the smartest mechanical guy but i tried to post what the dealer was telling me but i probably got some stuff wrong....i love this bike and HD. I hate what i went thru with this 41k bike however id never ride anything else.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Pensioncracker
A tech rep came today and saw the bike.
He called me and said they found the rear cylinder oil jet loose. Also that it sumped.
They have installed 2 new complete jugs, pistons, etc and bike will be ready tomorrow.
I agreed to put the stock pipes back on and remove the Reinharts. It was good talking to him. First guy from hd that ever called me and answered my questions. I hope this leads me to a lifetime of no issues going forward. I think i paid my dues...lol

To the fellow looking for the hd stock web site if you get to that desperation point i dont have a link. I just googled hog stock and worked my way into the finance posting boards from there. Before you do that make sure you have a case number with hd cust service and end each call asking for someone to call you back.
If you repeatedly never get called back like i was, i see no shame posting to the stock holders site. Sad to have to do that but i had to.

Night fellas....
Having walked in your footsteps 2 yrs ago, you need to confirm before trusting. After following the dealerships breakin steps for the new pistons and jugs, I encourage you to take the bike on a good long ride. 90 mins with some highway and backroads mixed in.

Plan to finish the ride back at the dealership during normal service hours. Bring the bike to the service manager without letting it idle too long before turning the bike off. Ask the shop to pull the Crank Position Sensor and measure the oil. You’ll have a much stronger sense of confidence in the bike if its shows up with minimal oil in the crankcase. Its the least they owe you for your aggravation.

Quick Reply: 117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles