Sponsored by:

S&S big bore kit 124!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 PM
baz70
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver55
Do you have the sheet on this I would love to see it. I did heads, 64mm TB, D&D fat cat 2--1, injectors, woods 999 cam, and all on a 128 kit and don't have this torque can only get 150 plus some change. I have a 145 plus horse, but not that much torque. I have an aim lock up clutch and I slip at 2500 rpm's your clutch has to have slip in it at 157 on a standard clutch they just can't take that torque.
I haven’t been to see my bike yet. I’m slammed at work. The numbers I posted are from a phone conversation after the dyno run. When I get a minute I will head over there and check out the bike and grab a sheet. I’ve been friends with the builder for 30 years, I don’t have any reason to doubt what he told me. The long and short of the conversation was that by leaving the throttle body and heads alone, the torque was increased more in lieu of the extra HP the TB and heads would have gotten me. He is building one now with a bigger TB and heads, should be interesting to see the differences in numbers.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 PM
baz70
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

Well 157 ft/lb on a Slim is going to be a lot of fun. Bet you can’t wait!
I’m pumped, come on springtime!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I added the SE 64mm TB with a ported manifold and picked up tq and hp right from idle and all the way through the rpm band. This is on my 114 with a TTS200 cam, stock heads, 2-2 fullsac header. The old school myth of losing tq by adding a bigger TB on this M8 does not seem to exist.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Pretty decent upgrade for $2500, and you get everything besides the 5.5's.

Attached Thumbnails S&S big bore kit 124!!!!-photo454.jpg  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone seen any HP numbers on the S&S kit vs the Fuel Moto kit?

The Fuel Moto kit is almost 1000.00 cheaper than S&S's.

Also how about just the jug change that S&S offers. I know the cam is going to make a difference but just wondering how much difference over the whole kit? The jug kit is only 1100.00 vs 2500.00...

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Originally Posted by mjohnson68
Has anyone seen any HP numbers on the S&S kit vs the Fuel Moto kit?

The Fuel Moto kit is almost 1000.00 cheaper than S&S's.

Also how about just the jug change that S&S offers. I know the cam is going to make a difference but just wondering how much difference over the whole kit? The jug kit is only 1100.00 vs 2500.00...

Thanks,
Mike
in post #12 of this thread there is the Dyno sheet from Sheffer showing torque over 140 with stock heads and throttle body with a Cycle-Rama 462 cam. I think the FM or the S&S are going to have similar numbers depending on the compression. The S&S kit includes their oil pump and cam plate which raises the price substantially. You can get that kit cheaper than $1100 if you shop around.

Last edited by Hairy Larry; 02-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Larry
in post #12 of this thread there is the Dyno sheet from Sheffer showing torque over 140 with stock heads and throttle body with a Cycle-Rama 462 cam. I think the FM or the S&S are going to have similar numbers depending on the compression. The S&S kit includes their oil pump and cam plate which raises the price substantially. You can get that kit cheaper than $1100 if you shop around.

But how about over all numbers between the Fuel Moto kit and the S&S kit? Is it worth the extra money for the cam plate and oil pump?

Mike

Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 3,218 Posts

But how about over all numbers between the Fuel Moto kit and the S&S kit? Is it worth the extra money for the cam plate and oil pump?

Mike
I did not buy the S&S cam plate because I could not justify the cost to benefit. You should probably call FuelMoto, they show impressive numbers on their kits and they'll be happy to help you out.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Mike
The cam plate and oil pump don't affect performance. As to whether it is worth the extra money is up to you. There are many factors that can determine how much power you will make with any performance upgrade. Some of it will depend on the person doing the installation. If they just install the kit without taking any measurements the compression ratio may not be what was advertised. I have heard of some of these kits having deck heights where the pistons are up to .020" below the deck. That will lower your compression from 11:1 down to 10.6:1. That could have a significant bearing on the final power results. Also there is the volume of the heads that needs to be determined. I have been told that the head volume on an M8 can vary from 85cc to 90cc. If you get low deck height combined with a large combustion chamber now your compression is down to 10.3:1. So how the components are put together can make a difference. The lower deck height will also negatively affect the squish area and the swirling of the fuel mix and can impact performance.

After all of that the cam you choose might not give you the performance you're desiring. The exhaust, throttle body, air cleaner, and tuner (hardware and the person doing the tuning) all play into it. So asking whether the Fuelmoto or S&S kit is going to perform better is relative to a lot of variables.

As for cost Eastern Performance, Direct Cycle Parts, or Parts Giant may give you better prices if you call them. On the other hand, Fuelmoto is already lower on price and they do have really good support after the sale which you won't get at the other three vendors.

So the answer to your question is the numbers will vary with the build and builder and cost can and will vary also. Basically these kits are going to make enough power that the big problem will be keeping the rear tire glued to the pavement anyway, even if it's not the top numbers on the forum.

The following 6 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Beartooth Rider (03-01-2019), oc357 (06-26-2019), Old Sport (02-15-2019), OldMike (02-15-2019), RoadGlideUltraStageIV (11-23-2019), Woodsy (06-19-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2019, 12:03 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The cam plate and oil pump don't affect performance. As to whether it is worth the extra money is up to you. There are many factors that can determine how much power you will make with any performance upgrade. Some of it will depend on the person doing the installation. If they just install the kit without taking any measurements the compression ratio may not be what was advertised. I have heard of some of these kits having deck heights where the pistons are up to .020" below the deck. That will lower your compression from 11:1 down to 10.6:1. That could have a significant bearing on the final power results. Also there is the volume of the heads that needs to be determined. I have been told that the head volume on an M8 can vary from 85cc to 90cc. If you get low deck height combined with a large combustion chamber now your compression is down to 10.3:1. So how the components are put together can make a difference. The lower deck height will also negatively affect the squish area and the swirling of the fuel mix and can impact performance.

After all of that the cam you choose might not give you the performance you're desiring. The exhaust, throttle body, air cleaner, and tuner (hardware and the person doing the tuning) all play into it. So asking whether the Fuelmoto or S&S kit is going to perform better is relative to a lot of variables.

As for cost Eastern Performance, Direct Cycle Parts, or Parts Giant may give you better prices if you call them. On the other hand, Fuelmoto is already lower on price and they do have really good support after the sale which you won't get at the other three vendors.

So the answer to your question is the numbers will vary with the build and builder and cost can and will vary also. Basically these kits are going to make enough power that the big problem will be keeping the rear tire glued to the pavement anyway, even if it's not the top numbers on the forum.
Thanks, good info!

Quick Reply: S&S big bore kit 124!!!!