Sponsored by:

M8 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,600 Likes on 4,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Well my sporty used about a coffee cup full of oil in the first 1000 mile and that was pretty much do to an oil pump fitting that has been incorrectly installed ( cross threaded) into the pump housing. Once that was sorted I dought if I’ve used 50 milliliters of oil over the last 3000 mile. It’s getting close to its winter / 5000 mile oil change and I don’t think it’s consumption has changed, If anything it’s less than before, and I’m guessing it’s because everything has bedded in.

Wiz 🍺
Sportsters and M8s..we're talking apples and avocados ..but like I and others reporting here have experienced..early consumption has dramatically decreased over time...if OP's doesn't then that's an anomaly the MOCO needs to fix for him

Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
If you haven't done it then once warmed up run the engine full throttle 2000-5000 in every gear and especially under load up a hill if possible. Let cool between runs then repeat about 20 times like someone would on a dyno. The idea is to seat the rings. If they don't then there's an internal build problem that needs to be looked at.
You sound like you are a fan of "ride it like you stole it" right off the show room floor.
Don't believe in break in periods?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
You sound like you are a fan of "ride it like you stole it" right off the show room floor.
Don't believe in break in periods?
OP is past the 500 mile break in period so his advice isn't bad..should be able to handle what he recommended which is after the fact..obviously the first 500 was the most important and OP didn't mention how he broke it in..don't think 20 cycles of that is necessary tho

Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun

I will tell you this. I personal run 3 m8 with 3.4 /3.6 quarts of oil . ( over 10k on one 24k on another ) That shows at 2 dots below the add mark on the stick.( yep almost a quart and a half less than dealer spec) One bike would not hold at full mark more than 300-500 miles and owner kept dumping another quart in. Now at 2 dots below add with 3.4 quarts he can go 5000 miles doesn't use a drop. His plugs also were showing oil.....the breathers were dumping into throttle body. I believe a lot of problems are the MOCO has there spec way over full on oil . Try it as it can't hurt a thing. At 85-95 mph it will not empty pan or bag. On the other hand have now seen a couple expensive 2017 CVOs that had never been updated or opened up with piston scuffs.Maybe just chitty workmanship ......
When stock I ran mine on the full mark. 5K miles between changes, no consumption. Modified, I still run on the full mark. Now at 1K miles on my build and still full. I guess I'm lucky.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:53 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun

I will tell you this. I personal run 3 m8 with 3.4 /3.6 quarts of oil . ( over 10k on one 24k on another ) That shows at 2 dots below the add mark on the stick.( yep almost a quart and a half less than dealer spec) One bike would not hold at full mark more than 300-500 miles and owner kept dumping another quart in. Now at 2 dots below add with 3.4 quarts he can go 5000 miles doesn't use a drop. His plugs also were showing oil.....the breathers were dumping into throttle body. I believe a lot of problems are the MOCO has there spec way over full on oil . Try it as it can't hurt a thing. At 85-95 mph it will not empty pan or bag. On the other hand have now seen a couple expensive 2017 CVOs that had never been updated or opened up with piston scuffs.Maybe just chitty workmanship ......
I don’t see how this could make a difference in a dry sump system, that extra oil is in the pan not the crank (unless it’s sumping).

Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by supernac
I don’t see how this could make a difference in a dry sump system, that extra oil is in the pan not the crank (unless it’s sumping).
Makes sense, but the manual does say be careful not to fill above the top line or engine damage could result. Page 39. It says not to overfill, and then says oil could transfer to the air filter and cause damage and malfunction.

Mine is just past 10k miles. Runs great. Oil is disappearing at the rate of about 2/3 quart per 5k miles extrapolated. Recently, with the oil load at the 3k miles point, I added 1/3 quart to bring the level back up from seven dots down on the dip to two dots down on the dip. My early consumption was much higher. The engine went through a quart in the first 1k miles. But it has gradually lessened until now. I doubt it will get any less now the bike is over 10k.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
OP is past the 500 mile break in period so his advice isn't bad..should be able to handle what he recommended which is after the fact..obviously the first 500 was the most important and OP didn't mention how he broke it in..don't think 20 cycles of that is necessary tho
http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educat...the-right-way/

The number of pulls I suggested should be unnecessary but the best way to determine that is noted in the link. Do as you wish but I've never had an oil burner with a vigorous break-in on a fully warmed engine...aircraft, auto, implements, outboards, and so on. Once the ring to cylinder seal is complete it's as good as it's going to get. Glaze the walls and it'll never be a tight seal. Just allow for cool down periods between pressure runs so the rings don't loose temper and pressure.

Edit: One simple way to monitor ring seal is have a look at the spark plugs and piston top during break-in. Oil deposits on both should decrease between exams. I use a borescope to see the piston top. It drys off with less oil present when sealed. Without run the piston to TDC and peeking the plug hole, but the plugs if cleaned and re-run will also tell the tale.

Last edited by PA1195; 10-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:42 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys I’ll go through them all in detail when I get off work. Update: Dealer told me the same thing as last time. They topped off to where it should be, ride it till 1k without adding any oil. Once again I said so ride it below the “add quart line” as it’s going to happen within 150 miles or so? Told me no and to bring it back which is why it’s back in the first place. Spoke with the mothership in Milwaukee and did absolutely nothing but notate everything I said which was nothing good obviously. I was told to do as the dealer said. They basically don’t give a damn about our issues or stand behind their product. I have never in my life dealt with such crappy service With any bike or 4 wheeled vehicle I’ve had. I went with HD because I did reasearch and seemed like they take care of their customers. I couldn’t be more wrong if I wanted to. Not sure how many times I have to repeat this nonsense before something is done. I guess I’ll go pick bike up the bike, ride it tonight, consume a whole qt of oil once again and take it back in tomorrow. I’m so dissapointed that I feel like just letting them keep the bike and just take a hit on my perfect credit that I’ve worked so hard to obtain. I’m also thinking of maybe doing a trade and just take a hit. Definitely won’t be HD if I go that route. I purposely stayed away from Indian/Polaris to avoid issues and here I am. Such BS.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
Thanks for the responses guys I’ll go through them all in detail when I get off work. Update: Dealer told me the same thing as last time. They topped off to where it should be, ride it till 1k without adding any oil. Once again I said so ride it below the “add quart line” as it’s going to happen within 150 miles or so? Told me no and to bring it back which is why it’s back in the first place. Spoke with the mothership in Milwaukee and did absolutely nothing but notate everything I said which was nothing good obviously. I was told to do as the dealer said. They basically don’t give a damn about our issues or stand behind their product. I have never in my life dealt with such crappy service With any bike or 4 wheeled vehicle I’ve had. I went with HD because I did reasearch and seemed like they take care of their customers. I couldn’t be more wrong if I wanted to. Not sure how many times I have to repeat this nonsense before something is done. I guess I’ll go pick bike up the bike, ride it tonight, consume a whole qt of oil once again and take it back in tomorrow. I’m so dissapointed that I feel like just letting them keep the bike and just take a hit on my perfect credit that I’ve worked so hard to obtain. I’m also thinking of maybe doing a trade and just take a hit. Definitely won’t be HD if I go that route. I purposely stayed away from Indian/Polaris to avoid issues and here I am. Such BS.
I'm surprised the MOCO didn't open a case number with the dealership..they did for me with an issue and the dealership mentioned to me they acknowledged it within a day...anyway, dealership topped it off for you, you're convinced it will use a quart within a 1000 / 1500 or whatever it is miles which is the threshold for acceptable consumption so when you drop it off after that they have to investigate and troubleshoot further..if they don't resolve the problem you have done as you were instructed to and need to call back and demand a case number stating unable to obtain resolution to a problem that is under warranty...just tell the dealership you want to return it for a refund and you will be making that claim to the MOCO as well...that would be my breaking point for getting really pissy and ugly with the *****

good luck man, that sucks but they can't be allowed to win

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:06 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'm surprised the MOCO didn't open a case number with the dealership..they did for me with an issue and the dealership mentioned to me they acknowledged it within a day...anyway, dealership topped it off for you, you're convinced it will use a quart within a 1000 / 1500 or whatever it is miles which is the threshold for acceptable consumption so when you drop it off after that they have to investigate and troubleshoot further..if they don't resolve the problem you have done as you were instructed to and need to call back and demand a case number stating unable to obtain resolution to a problem that is under warranty...just tell the dealership you want to return it for a refund and you will be making that claim to the MOCO as well...that would be my breaking point for getting really pissy and ugly with the *****

good luck man, that sucks but they can't be allowed to win
Thanks man I’m gonna need it! Got a reference # on “the case” so it’s already notated twice. All I can do is ride it and take it back if it occurs again which I’m sure it will. Just got off the phone with the service writer and I asked if I’m gonna have to keep doing this over and over. He stated after this visit since now there’s “a case” they can move forward with the problem. I guess I’m gonna try to get a lot of riding in later on to get some miles in as fast as I can. That way if it drops off I can go take it tomorrow or Saturday. He assured me everything is notated in case of an engine failure. All I can do is ride (hopefully) and take it from there.

Last edited by GusTrevino; 10-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (10-18-2018)

Quick Reply: M8 Oil consumption