Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage II Harley Cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM
str8shuutr45
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I did Stage 2 SE torque cam with SE AC, Pro-Pipe, powervision and dyno tune. Great low end to about 4500. Love the Pro-Pipe on the M8. I don’t hear any valve noise like I did with my TC. The M8 purrs until I roll on the throttle, then it roars.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Been running my torque cam for about 40k miles now...

love it. But I cannot comment on noise as my bike has been a bit noisy for a while now and I don’t remember when it started... pulls strong ~3,300 rpm all the way to 5,500.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Thanks to everyone that commented on this Thread. I did the install myself, included the cam,lifters,pump and plate. I already had the SE Cannons and Hi flow filter, Bike runs perfectly. Really woke up the cannons and Improved performance all around. Good times!

Last edited by sixguns; 11-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
madmat (11-14-2018), psyshack (11-13-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 AM
XWFONinja
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a '17 Road King SP and I installed V&H Power Dual headers, FP3, Magna-Flow Hitman mufflers, SE Ventilator A/C along with a DK-Products breather bypass kit at around 2000 miles. I then had a SE-447 cam installed by the local dealer at around 6000 miles. I currently have nearly 18k on the bike now. The so named 'torque cam' definitely woke the bike up compared to stock. It's likely thee cam that the original M8 motor initially came with but the MOCO probably had to 'de-tune' that set up in order to have a cam to up-sell for Stage kits and still stay within EPA parameters.

I have had no problems or issues with this set-up other than finding what I felt was a good tune recipe. I did this change early on within the M8 life-cycle, when there were not many tuning maps to build off of and having the FP3 limited my tuning options even more. I have to say that the V&H FP3 tuner is really a great product. Although, now that I have done much more research and have also spent a-lot of time riding, documenting, riding some more, more adjustments and so on. I would possibly and I say possibly very lightly, go a different direction as far as tuner choices go. It's a very hard decision, on one hand, the convenience of being able to just bring the bike with said changes and say, "here tune this for me" is very appealing. On the other hand, the time spent doing all these adjustments and documenting I was at the worst, riding my bike and learning. So not that bad. My wife thinks otherwise, that's for a different forum, hah. I'm not bagging on the FP3 in any way, just explaining my experience. If anything, I can be very 'AGRO' when it comes to some things and once I focused on the tune and how my bike was running at any given moment, it was over till I felt I got it right. So this experience is probably not A typical. By the way, the customer service from V&H has been great and they always responded promptly and were very helpful whenever I needed any guidance or questions answered. For the average person, being able to use your phone to download a basic map based on your set up, down load it into your bike, start up your bike and go ride. Also, the ability to monitor AFR, Throttle Position, Temperature, RPM's, AIT, MAP, Fuel Mileage and much more on the fly is very appealing. Or being able to adjust your idle within 2 minutes while waiting for your friends at the gas station are all terrific features with the FP3. Probably is just fine for most. Unfortunately, the FP3 gets a bad reputation (mostly from the professional tuners) I believe, due to it may be too advanced for most beginners if they go beyond installing a selected canned map and doing some 'auto tuning'. You can definitely get into the weeds ie. trouble, with the adjustments available. That is how someone can really mess things up. Or, get it really right. And that is typically when a professional tuner usually gets introduced to the FP3. So, unfortunately, there aren't very many if any tuners that prefer to use or have much experience with the FP3. The new Wide-Band option has tons of potential but it looks like V&H is only marketing this option directly to the tuning shops. So, not for beginners at this time. Too bad, I would really like to have the W-B option in addition to the great FP3-phone interface, I believe they would have something there. Still, may be too much for myself and the average Joe. I think its going to be difficult to get some of these shops to change or try something different. Kinda like trying to sell a Mac to a PC guy. Needless to say, the tuner you decide on is as an important choice as the cam, header, muffler and A/C. It all needs to work together.
Anyways, I did have the inner cam bearing, lifters and adjustable rods installed the same time, all with Screaming Eagle parts. I bought into the whole warranty coverage thing early on. But then heard after the fact that my exhaust choice and other mods may/could/will cause a problem later with my warranty. Anyways, kinda wished I just stuck in one of the other aftermarket cams, etc, returned my extended warranty and would've had more gains for less money. Oh well. Live and learn. This is the first Harley that I've started from stock being that my '14 Street Bob came off the floor already done up with a stage II. My M-8 has always made a bit of valve noise at round 2200 -2400 RPM, but when it hits 3000 rpm, it pulls very strong and any valve racket goes away. From what I can tell, it's not any more noise than what my twin cam Street Bob made at about the same RPM's. I have not had it on a dyno yet to see what the numbers are. I may not as it might burst my bubble and I am very happy with it...................... for now.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Stroked16
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

SE Stage I came on the bike when purchased. Went with torque cam, installed at the 1k service. 17,500+ miles now and I love the power. No irregular noise, woke the slip-ons up a bit after the cam went in. MPG is right around 39-40...42 if I can keep it under 75mph for the tank.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Thanks to everyone that commented on this Thread. I did the install myself, included the cam,lifters,pump and plate. I already had the SE Cannons and Hi flow filter, Bike runs perfectly. Really woke up the cannons and Improved performance all around. Good times!
Just curious which cam you chose? The torque or power cam as I'm debating myself.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:09 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SWMB
Just curious which cam you chose? The torque or power cam as I'm debating myself.
I did not want to give up any low end grunt, so I went with the Torque cam. The Power cam gives up some on the bottom then gives it back on top, Id rather have it on the bottom.

Last edited by sixguns; 11-18-2018 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SWMB (11-18-2018)