Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Longblock program install advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:31 PM
KSPajor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longblock program install advice

Upgrading the motor from 88 to 95 through the longblock program on a 2003 Fatboy. Adding SE high flow air cleaner. SE 204 cams and a Cobra 2 to 1 exhaust. Dealer installer says he needs to do a stage 2 ECM download. I ride 2 up on weekends and single to work and back. I am not looking to ride it like I stole it but want to have a dependable machine. Have I made the right choices? Is the dealer mechanic right about the ECM and is there anything else you could suggest I do? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

I’d say skip the dealer download and get a real tuner and professional tune. That dealer download won’t work very well with a 2 into 1 exhaust. I’m sure you’ll get several opinions on the 204 cams as well.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you looked here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...e-program.html
This will have all the upgrades for your 95". Do a internet search on the Part No# of the Long block (16200093 Twin Cam 95 – Black* 16200094 - Silver )
Yes you will need to have the ECM done. Check with your dealer about the Warranty if this is done by someone else. (Yes it may suck but its your $$$$)
As far as cam choices, there are plenty. My choice was a Torque cam (2 up riding) this will still give you about 100 / 100.

KenK

Last edited by Kenney; 11-18-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:43 PM
KSPajor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jbarr1
I’d say skip the dealer download and get a real tuner and professional tune. That dealer download won’t work very well with a 2 into 1 exhaust. I’m sure you’ll get several opinions on the 204 cams as well.
Thanks
If I go with a tuner I void the 1 year warranty. I bought the bike with an extended warranty in aug and the oil pump went out in oct so warranty is picking up most of the bill [got lucky there] but that kind of limits my choices to Harley and SE. I talked to the guy I am going to have tune it with a dyno and I need to put 1000 miles or so on it to break it in before he wants to touch it so that will be in the spring sometime.
Thanks for your reply! I know almost enough to be dangerous at this point.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

KSPajor; Yep I just went through this with my 05 Ultra, New S&S 111 or 103 Long Block. Just how much extra to spend on hunting the HP & TQ numbers. ( went with the long block as I didn't need to change intake / air cleaner, clutch, etc.) Finely set down and talked to the Dealers Service Manager and the Mechanic who would do the work. (had a meeting with them and learned a lot) The Mechanic was HD Trained and knew his stuff. ( better than I did ) Met with the Dealers Tuner and again learned a lot from him. He know his stuff also. He did the initial break-in (on the Dyno) and gave me a final tune out the door. This meeting gave me estimated times and $$ ( always need a few extra $ for gaskets and such to avoid having to call me for approval which takes up time which equals more $). I give the Dealer credit for a great job that was on time and within the budget. I feel that it was well worth the $$. I now have a motor with a HD warranty ( Cam was an Andrews (their suggestion) Vance & Hines true duals headers and mufflers. They hit the HP & TQ numbers that we had discussed. Gas milage is 40 to 42 mpg).
Hope this helps and saves you a lot of headaches.

KenK

The following 2 users liked this post by Kenney:
bad tappets (11-20-2018), KSPajor (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:46 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Worrying about a warranty is no reason to do a half *** job on your bike.
Wait until your warranty expires and then do it right. Or don't worry about the warranty like a lot of us do, and do it right.
Go ahead and ride 1000 miles on a crappy motor eating tune. Best advice ever. Not.

Find a reputable tuner who will do the break in and full tune on their dyno.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Unless you have the $$ to repair/replace the new motor should something fail during the warranty period, do what you need to maintain the warranty. The Stage 2 download doesn't do much; adds a bit of fuel and increases the rpm rev limit, at least that is what it used to do. The Stage 2 down addresses air filter, exhaust and cams but will not be a "perfect" tune because of the aftermarket exhaust; the HD downloads are configured for HD components. However, the most important component of the new configuration is the addition of cams which the Stage 2 download does address. I think the bike will run fine for a year and should something fail, warranty kicks in. When warranty expires, if the OP wants to "fine tune" go the Power Vision route and get a proper tune. Nothing wrong with the SE204 cam in a 95" motor.

JMHO but the decision is a financial one; can the OP afford a rebuild/replace should something go south during the warranty period or not?

The following users liked this post:
KSPajor (11-20-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

OP, what exhaust system is on your bike? if it is a SE system, the "canned" maps won't be that far off. The fact has been mentioned that the HD/SE calibrations have been developed on HD/SE components. Check and see if there is a calibration for a 2-1 pipe, IIRC there used to be one, then have the tuner TEST the bike and SEE/CONFIRM how far off the tune actually is. If it is off , then you can have them address it, since they are selling and doing the job. To me if you are paying them to do the job, it should be done correctly. There should be no reason for them to do all this work, then give you back a bike that does not run well and could potentially have an issue, due to a poor tune, Have it done right! If they can't do it right, find another service center that can.
m

Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 PM
KSPajor
6th Gear
Default Exhaust

The exhaust is a cobra 2 into 1, everything else is HD/SE. I have faith in the man doing the wrenching on the bike. We had a nice long talk the other day and I am feeling pretty good about the situation now. I just have a weird gut feeling about the dealership. This is the first time dealing with them so hope all goes well but yes I agree they are getting paid to do the job and are expected to do it right.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 AM
KSPajor
6th Gear
Default Done Deal

Finally got to put a few miles on the new motor. It took around 5 weeks for the longblock to arrive from Harley and then another week for the mechanic to return from his vacation and do the install. You guys were right they tried to give the bike back with a **** tune in it and it ran terrible. The dealership owner gets credit because while they were closed for the Christmas holiday week he stopped by my house to check in with me. After 2 more trips back to the service dept at no charge they got the right download in the bike and it runs great. Cold weather has blown in now and she is just sitting in the garage waiting for it to warm up enough to get that breakin time out on her. Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions and opinions.

Quick Reply: Longblock program install advice