Sponsored by:

Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:31 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Saga Continues

Hello friends. I have some news about my bike I want so share for those who indicated they may be having similiar issues. The shifting issue resurfaced the very next ride after I hesitantly reported success. The frequency significantly reduced after H-D changed the primary fluid and re-adjusted the clutch but the problem was still there. I decided I would just live with it for a couple thousand miles to see if it continued to get better as the metals smoothed out. I rode the bike for a few weeks and put about 600 more miles on it and just lived with the issue as a quirk of this bike.

Last week, however, I noticed drops of fluid under the bike and found the entire bottom of the primary housing to be covered with fluid. Trying to find the source of the leak, I noticed that it appeard to be originating from the shift arm bearing (see attached pictures). What are the odds that I was now getting leaks from the same shifter that seems to not want to go into 2nd gear when it gets hot? I brought it into H-D for the third time. This time I went to a different dealer farther from my home, but much bigger. My main goal was to stop the leak as I had pretty much given up on trying to resolve the shifting issue. I did however mention that I was having shifting issues that I thought could be related. I hypothesized that maybe the seal bearing was out of spec and seizing up when the bike got hot preventing smooth/complete shifting. Maybe the bearing was also wearing down over time from rubbing resulting in leaking after it cooled down and the metals srank back to size at room temperature.

This dealership really took my issues seriously because they knew they would have to pull the transmission to replace the seal and they didn't want to have to go in there twice. I asked them to please ride the bike for at least an hour. I told them they could let the tech bring my bike home and ride it all weekend if necessary. They had my bike in the shop since last Friday and today they confirmed the following:

1) The technician replicated my 2nd gear shifting issue after an extended test reide (THANK FREAKING GOD!!!)
2) The shifter lever seal was leaking
3) The primary drain plug was leaking

Today they pulled apart the Gear Shifter Assembly to do the following repairs: (a) replace the shifting mechanism, (b) replace the inner bearing race, (c) replace the vehicle speed sensor (why???), (d) replae the shift shaft seal, (e) replace the shift lever sleeve, (f) replace the drain plug, (g) replace all associated gaskets/o-rings.

The repairs are supposed to be finished today. After I get the bike back and test ride the heck out of it... I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Here are pictures (sorry...not the best quality) showing the "ring" of fluid leaking around the shift lever seal. This is after I thoroughly washed the area and rode it around for a couple of hours to try to find the source of the leak. The leaking was much more pronounced a few days later when I brought it in to H-D for diagnosis.

Last edited by M1chael; 12-05-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
The following users liked this post:
Warrant (12-09-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 03:43 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Great that this dealer eventually was able to replicate the problem. Let us hope it is gone when you get it back.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,017 Likes on 17,512 Posts

There's a recall on the slave cylinder for the clutch also, did they replace that ? One of the signs it's going is hard shifting and finding neutral.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

I am happy for you - glad it got sorted out.

Seriously though however, as an owner of a 2018 RG and a long, long, long time Harley Kool-Aid drinker, when will they get their design and QC in line with their price point??!*^$%!&^!%^!^%

I really, really want to love my new Road Glide and want to purchase a new Low Rider but honestly ... I'm holding off because of the QC issues.

I run a Suzuki Bandit 1250S and ride it like I stole it! I also run a Suzuki 650DR and it has been great to me. I like Harley .. . just wish they would like me back.

As a long time H-D fan boy, I am losing faith.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does a Streetbob have hydraulic clutch now?????

Old 12-05-2018, 05:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,017 Likes on 17,512 Posts

Originally Posted by OzBobPanGlide
Does a Streetbob have hydraulic clutch now?????
Good point, may not have.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,693 Likes on 3,240 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Good point, may not have.

Does not have.....

Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, I wanted to post a brief status update about my bike. Even after the repairs to the leaking seal in December (see post #41) the problem did not go away. I continued riding the bike and brought it in for my 1,000 mile service. I asked H-D to use all Amsoil product (and I paid for it). After the service, the frequency seemed to be reduced even further... but more importantly when the bike got "stuck" in neutral, I could re-shift a second time and get it into gear. At least I didn't have to slow down, down shift, and then re-upshift.

The more I rode the bike I noticed it was happening less and less. By about 1,700 miles the problem seemed to have gone away almost completely. I'm now at 2,000 miles on the bike and I'm no longer having any issues at all. I'm pretty happy with the bike now, but I was very scared for a while that I had a lemon on my hands.

Here is some video of my most recent ride. Stay safe out there guys. Happy riding!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy9...able_polymer=1

Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m having trouble shifting smoothly into 6th only on my new Road Glide. It goes if I remember to shift hard but if I forget iit grinds in. Of course they blew me off at the 1K.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by M1chael
Guys, I wanted to post a brief status update about my bike. Even after the repairs to the leaking seal in December (see post #41) the problem did not go away. I continued riding the bike and brought it in for my 1,000 mile service. I asked H-D to use all Amsoil product (and I paid for it). After the service, the frequency seemed to be reduced even further... but more importantly when the bike got "stuck" in neutral, I could re-shift a second time and get it into gear. At least I didn't have to slow down, down shift, and then re-upshift.

The more I rode the bike I noticed it was happening less and less. By about 1,700 miles the problem seemed to have gone away almost completely. I'm now at 2,000 miles on the bike and I'm no longer having any issues at all. I'm pretty happy with the bike now, but I was very scared for a while that I had a lemon on my hands.

Here is some video of my most recent ride. Stay safe out there guys. Happy riding!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy9...able_polymer=1
I might get shouted down here but I believe a gearbox takes longer to run in than an engine.I also advocate gear oil types of around 75/80 to 140 weight as well.

Peace.

Peace.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob