Sponsored by:

5000-mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
Not true, i had a stage 3 done by Harley THEN myself put on aftermarket tuner, exhaust and S&S mufflers. Blew a pushrod or something Dealer Paid the entire cost including the towing. Don’t believe all the little naysayers about this warranty stuff, most don’t have a clue what they are talking about
It appears that you have changed your tune (pun intended).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-tunnel-4.html

The following users liked this post:
lp (11-23-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I agree with you about the voiding of the warranty. That also brings up a question about HOW it gets voided. If the dealer is a "look the other way" dealer, how then does the MoCo get the info to void the warranty? I'm talking about a procedure that alerts the MoCo about the tuner, or exhaust, or air cleaner.
My understanding of the situation is:Harley uses a "Digital Technician" device to read codes and diagnose problems. When you bring the bike in, they plug it in to figure out what's going on. The Digital Technician scans the ECM, and if it finds evidence the bike was tuned, it transmits that information to Harley who then is required by court order to void the powertrain warranty on that bike. It's automatic, and unavoidable. Use a tuner, lose your powertrain warranty.

The DT can't detect the presence of headers or mufflers or camshafts, so if you've changed those out, the only way Harley would know about it is if the dealer manually reported it. There are reports that Harley is requesting pictures of the bike when approving some warranty claims, which would limit the "look the other way" dealer's ability to "shield" the customer from Harley.

​​​​​​

Last edited by FatBob2018; 11-22-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:09 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
My understanding of the situation is:Harley uses a "Digital Technician" device to read codes and diagnose problems. When you bring the bike in, they plug it in to figure out what's going on. The Digital Technician scans the ECM, and if it finds evidence the bike was tuned, it transmits that information to Harley who then is required by court order to void the powertrain warranty on that bike. It's automatic, and unavoidable. Use a tuner, lose your powertrain warranty.

The DT can't detect the presence of headers or mufflers or camshafts, so if you've changed those out, the only way Harley would know about it is if the dealer manually reported it. There are reports that Harley is requesting pictures of the bike when approving some warranty claims, which would limit the "look the other way" dealer's ability to "shield" the customer from Harley.

​​​​​​
That makes sense now. I think the part about taking the pictures at the dealer for warranty work is where the story I got comes from. So the TUNER is the major item that gets the warranty pulled, not necessarily the mufflers and air cleaner. That's good info FatBob! Thanks a million! That clears up a lot of posts about this warranty issue.