10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Recall Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:36 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine was done today. Took about an hour. Tech was able to remove the cover plate by just removing the heat shield and not having to loosen the exhaust. Tech mentioned that sometimes it works that way and sometimes one has to loosen the exhaust. Really depends on how the exhaust was aligned and tightened down at assembly. It was a mm of space that allowed it to come off. I am glad as in the future to bleed it I wont have to loosen the exhaust. Dial indicator showed full throw and the bleed was good as there is no free play or squishy feeling.

It feels and engages the exact same as before. Mine was not leaking as the fluid was at the full mark but at least now I don't have to worry about it.Lever action may be just a tad smoother, probably the placebo effect but the engagement point is identical to before.

The dealership is only getting 2-4 kits per week. I can only imagine what will happen come spring. Get yours done now. It was a cold ride but it was dry and worth it to not have to worry about it next spring.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:38 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Dealer did not need to remove exhaust to remove cover. Tech said the only ones he has had to remove exhaust on were some aftermarket ones. Dealer has a lot of bikes in winter storage. They know their customers well. They are knocking hem out according to that knowledge . They know who will be taking theirs out the soonest , they know the few of us that ride a good part of the winter.
Another thing tech said was it was easier to do the work on the floor rather than on the lift and he had not fund any leaking yet.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

went to dealer he had 18 bikes waiting in shop for recall no parts
the real problem I think is the dealers have 18 in stock and they are holding parts for them so they can sell them can not deliver a new bike with a safety recall

Old 11-22-2018, 05:28 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 7125
went to dealer he had 18 bikes waiting in shop for recall no parts
the real problem I think is the dealers have 18 in stock and they are holding parts for them so they can sell them can not deliver a new bike with a safety recall
Not seen that. Dealer is doing floor bikes last around here. It will take a bit for production to catch up from the supplier . Warm climate areas are getting more kits shipped than the places with snow right now.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:33 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
I'm wondering since my clutch feels "normal" should I bring it in the the update. You know, why fix whats not broken.
You dont want to take a chance of your clutch locking up. The recall was initiated because the secondary clutch actuator cylinder may leak fluid internally and the clutch master cylinder may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch. Mine took a little over an hour, clutch definitely engages sooner.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

If I ever get my bike back from the shop I'll answer the pole. Still waiting on Harley to send the dealer a new ignition key switch I'm also having fixed under warranty. 2 weeks and counting. Clutch recall was done right away.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 11-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I went in yesterday just to schedule the recall work. The dealership wanted to do it right then for me. So about 1 1/2 hours later it was done. No coming back later to drop bike off and hoping the weather holds out. Very happy about that service. No difference in the clutch feel at all.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM
WarKat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told the same thing. Dealerships are fixing the in stock bikes first. It really sucks to buy a new bike and can't ride it because we have to wait on a recall fix.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

They told me they had 500 to do and they got 4 Kits in. Those are for the floor bikes. He said dont worry about the warranty running out next spring it's still covered. DOES HE REALIZE HD SAID TO STOP RIDING IT?? This is going to be a cluster!!

Old 11-24-2018, 03:13 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

OK so got mine back today after waiting an additional 2 weeks for a new ignition switch. Initial pull feels a little lighter but no difference holding it at a stop light. Engagement seems to be the same. I'm just happy to have my bike back just in time for a couple of decent riding days before cold weather sets back in.

Quick Reply: Clutch Recall Poll