My Thanksgiving Will

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default My Thanksgiving Will

Be working on the M8

My goal is to get it to stop rattling like a over priced tamborine. And get a handle on slight sumping. Yes my 107 has the beginnings of sumping. At 15k plus miles the motor has to be sorted or it will be gone. S&S will not even talk about a Crate Motor for this pos mill at this point. M8 has some really bad engineering and design flaws. Not to mention the sorry production and changing acceptical specs. The M8 2017 Road Kings biggest supporter is the wife. She likes the bike more than I do. It's semi comfortable for her and just fast enough. As I've been collecting parts for my Thanksgiving weekend. The recall notice came in concerning the clutch slave cylinder. She looked at that and uttered the "f" word under breath. She is not a lady of four letter words.

On to the beginnings or slight sumping issue the mill is displaying. Up front,,, I tend to ride on the hard side,,, I'm a bad man. I use all the tach, brakes, suspension and soul the bike has. I ride my motorcycle. So lets say I'm running 75 to 80 mph, 25 miles between stop lights and I get hung up at one of those light. I stop,, blip the throttle and the low end goes knock knock,,, with a millia stink and it's hot in even 50f air temp. But after the throttle blip it's clear and knock knock is gone in the low end. I've pulled the plug and never got more than 2 oz out of it,,, MAX. I've changed the plugs, ran different maps on the fp3 and hd junker tuner. The knock knock throttle blip wont leave.

So come the long weekend I will do a complete oil flush, install new adjustable rockers and shafts. New oil pump back plate and a new oil pump less feed gearotor. New lifters if need be,,, HD junkers <<<< I have several new sets. Will do a compression and leak down and try to get a grip on valve set.. If need be I have a complete low milage top end from a 2018 Sport Glide, New head bolts, gaskets and other supporting players. This motor has to get sorted! It's so bipolar. The M8 runs good! It's never been on a dyno. But it pulls great! It's only lost what I would call one true race on the road. And that bike was a dyna cvo 110. And he walked away on me. What the M8 can do is real! But how some of them go about it,,, is very disheartening.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Sorry for your issues.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Just a sampling of the parts on hand for the Thanksgiving Turkey.

Last edited by psyshack; 11-16-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:38 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Be working on the M8

My goal is to get it to stop rattling like a over priced tamborine. And get a handle on slight sumping. Yes my 107 has the beginnings of sumping. At 15k plus miles the motor has to be sorted or it will be gone. S&S will not even talk about a Crate Motor for this pos mill at this point. M8 has some really bad engineering and design flaws. Not to mention the sorry production and changing acceptical specs. The M8 2017 Road Kings biggest supporter is the wife. She likes the bike more than I do. It's semi comfortable for her and just fast enough. As I've been collecting parts for my Thanksgiving weekend. The recall notice came in concerning the clutch slave cylinder. She looked at that and uttered the "f" word under breath. She is not a lady of four letter words.

On to the beginnings or slight sumping issue the mill is displaying. Up front,,, I tend to ride on the hard side,,, I'm a bad man. I use all the tach, brakes, suspension and soul the bike has. I ride my motorcycle. So lets say I'm running 75 to 80 mph, 25 miles between stop lights and I get hung up at one of those light. I stop,, blip the throttle and the low end goes knock knock,,, with a millia stink and it's hot in even 50f air temp. But after the throttle blip it's clear and knock knock is gone in the low end. I've pulled the plug and never got more than 2 oz out of it,,, MAX. I've changed the plugs, ran different maps on the fp3 and hd junker tuner. The knock knock throttle blip wont leave.

So come the long weekend I will do a complete oil flush, install new adjustable rockers and shafts. New oil pump back plate and a new oil pump less feed gearotor. New lifters if need be,,, HD junkers <<<< I have several new sets. Will do a compression and leak down and try to get a grip on valve set.. If need be I have a complete low milage top end from a 2018 Sport Glide, New head bolts, gaskets and other supporting players. This motor has to get sorted! It's so bipolar. The M8 runs good! It's never been on a dyno. But it pulls great! It's only lost what I would call one true race on the road. And that bike was a dyna cvo 110. And he walked away on me. What the M8 can do is real! But how some of them go about it,,, is very disheartening.
Forget your plans,buy a good half shell helmet with visor,buy a good set of earplugs.Put the earplugs in your ears and ride into the sunset, leaving all your phobias behind!

Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

My 17 never had any knocking, even tho it was a comfirmed sumper... bike's still at the dealer with the engine torn apart. My 18 however, had the exact same bottom end knocking you described. I couldnt tell if it was from the left or right side of the motor. Turned out the compensator needed to be retorqued and the autochain tensioner hadnt adjusted itself yet. Loosning and retorqueing the compensator and tightening the chain tensioner resolved the knocking completely.

Hope everything gets worked out psyshack

Old 11-17-2018, 03:43 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

When my 2018 RGU was new, during the first few hundred miles, it had a definite knock at idle that seemed to come from the left side. It had my attention and I was getting worried about it. At 500 miles I rode the bike from Santa Fe NM to LA, a little over 1k miles. By the time I got to LA the knock was gone and has never returned. I just passed 12k miles on the odo. The bike is perfect except for a tiny amount of transfer, maybe 1oz per 3k miles estimated.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

You basically just bought more stuff you can complain about later on down the road...

Old 11-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

If I were as miserable with my bike as you always seem to be, the last thing I would do would be pour more money into it. Maybe spend some of that money on a for sale sign!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dan D.
You basically just bought more stuff you can complain about later on down the road...
Thank You for your support!

The following users liked this post:
Dan D. (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:43 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quik
If I were as miserable with my bike as you always seem to be, the last thing I would do would be pour more money into it. Maybe spend some of that money on a for sale sign!
No matter how hard you try being a wonderful person that you are. You can't ruin my holiday weekend.

Last edited by psyshack; 11-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: My Thanksgiving Will