Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 CVO Street Glide died on first day

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

I almost feel sorry for the person that buys the 2018 VW Golf GTI I 6 spd MT test drove this past weekend..after reading up on them I'm glad I passed and doubt it matters much as they appear to be crap in the reliability dept. on many fronts..but damn driving that was about as much fun as you can have with your pants on!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I almost feel sorry for the person that buys the 2018 VW Golf GTI I 6 spd MT test drove this past weekend..after reading up on them I'm glad I passed and doubt it matters much as they appear to be crap in the reliability dept. on many fronts..but damn driving that was about as much fun as you can have with your pants on!
Tons of fun!! Especially after you tune them. I almost lost my license over mine. I had to let it go after that. They are a blast to drive. If you really want to blow your socks off, try the "R". That's one wicked machine.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Yeah no kidding

Old 12-12-2018, 05:56 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by dforeid
I understand, just don't get why someone would ride the first 80 miles like that. Seems almost self destructive behavior to me. I'll sign off now. Hope he finds resolution to his issues.
It really isn't. Rings are seated in 20 minutes. There isn't much else to break-in. Big bore kits are installed, heat cycled, then run hard on a dyno. What's the difference?

OP, sounds simply like a defective sensor. Can't say it's common as I haven't seen much here about it, but it happens. Glad that's all it was.

Mrevilix (12-15-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:19 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Harley should do something like limit the amount of load vs temperatures for new engines run on the streets by folks who don’t know the repercussions of high speeds/loads for many miles during high heat/humidity conditions.
The bikes come from the factory lean/hot so... during breakin, should be heat controlled, which is why dyno breakin by someone trained and knowledgeable in performance Harley engine breakin procedures is much better than riders simply seeing if they can trip the 114 speed limiter right out of the showroom, which isn’t that bad...Actually if the rider would have slowed down and let the engine/rings cool off so spring tension of the rings do not get ruined, it would have set the rings a bit and then cool down for a while, then back up to those ridiculous speeds again...BUT NEVER CONTINUOUS HIGH SPEED RUNNING.
I’m out,
Bob

GPHDXLC (12-12-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Harley should do something like limit the amount of load vs temperatures for new engines run on the streets by folks who don’t know the repercussions of high speeds/loads for many miles during high heat/humidity conditions.
The bikes come from the factory lean/hot so... during breakin, should be heat controlled, which is why dyno breakin by someone trained and knowledgeable in performance Harley engine breakin procedures is much better than riders simply seeing if they can trip the 114 speed limiter right out of the showroom, which isn’t that bad...Actually if the rider would have slowed down and let the engine/rings cool off so spring tension of the rings do not get ruined, it would have set the rings a bit and then cool down for a while, then back up to those ridiculous speeds again...BUT NEVER CONTINUOUS HIGH SPEED RUNNING.
I’m out,
Bob
definatly can be done, I bought a 2018 seadoo rxtx this summer with the 300hp super charged engine, the ECM limited the speed and rpm's for the first 5 hours of operation, after the 5 hour mark it immediately went into beast mode! I was initially disappointed by the performance and thought this thing sure didn't feel like 300 hp, that's when I contacted seadoo and was advised of the 5 hour break in by the ecm. Maybe something similar would be good for motorcycles?

GPHDXLC (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
It really isn't. Rings are seated in 20 minutes. There isn't much else to break-in. Big bore kits are installed, heat cycled, then run hard on a dyno. What's the difference?

OP, sounds simply like a defective sensor. Can't say it's common as I haven't seen much here about it, but it happens. Glad that's all it was.
Yeah, you're probably right. My bad. HD break-in procedures should read "Leave the showroom, find a place you can do 80 miles at 80-100 MPH and you are good. Oh, and don't forget to heart cycle it too".

Last edited by dforeid; 12-13-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
I’m out,
Bob
^^^^This from a reputable tuner. OP - your buddy should have done things differently - to put it mildly.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

Bad CPS wouldn't explain how/why it was a liter (over a quart) low on oil unless it left the factory that way and the dealer didn't do the prep.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

HD could limit power and throttle rate response until miles build then reset the controls. But within hours someone would discover a workaround to restore the full WFO performance and post it. Rider selectable power modes are common on some motorcycles.

Quick Reply: 2019 CVO Street Glide died on first day