Warranty/ Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Cruizer40
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty/ Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner

Hello everyone
I own a 2018 SG Special in twisted cherry that I absolutely love. My story and question is this, last summer I went to a bike rally a few hundred miles from home and while there had a stage one installed by the local dealer. SE intake, two brothers slip ons and VH FP3. I asked the dealer if using the fp3 would void my warranty and he stated technically it would but if they do the future work on my bike they would not report the fp3 to the factory etc etc. However I know that my 2 local dealers would probably report it if discovered.
Ok now the question: If a guy was to purchase the SE pro street tuner- 41000008c which I believe comes loaded with the stage 1 tune and install prior to taking the bike in for warranty then switch back to the fp3 or some other tuner would it be discovered? I can probably answer my own question by saying yes that the ecm would show the evidence of all of this if the dug into it.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2018, 11:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruizer40
Hello everyone
I own a 2018 SG Special in twisted cherry that I absolutely love. My story and question is this, last summer I went to a bike rally a few hundred miles from home and while there had a stage one installed by the local dealer. SE intake, two brothers slip ons and VH FP3. I asked the dealer if using the fp3 would void my warranty and he stated technically it would but if they do the future work on my bike they would not report the fp3 to the factory etc etc. However I know that my 2 local dealers would probably report it if discovered.
Ok now the question: If a guy was to purchase the SE pro street tuner- 41000008c which I believe comes loaded with the stage 1 tune and install prior to taking the bike in for warranty then switch back to the fp3 or some other tuner would it be discovered? I can probably answer my own question by saying yes that the ecm would show the evidence of all of this if the dug into it.
Thanks
this topic has been discussed many times here but not sure of your specific concern..but unless you are planning on taking this further than stage 1t here was really not much benefit in choosing an aftermarket tuner for just Stage 1 if you are concerned about warranty

Old 12-31-2018, 11:28 AM
Cruizer40
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuners

Originally Posted by mjwebb
this topic has been discussed many times here but not sure of your specific concern..but unless you are planning on taking this further than stage 1t here was really not much benefit in choosing an aftermarket tuner for just Stage 1 if you are concerned about warranty
Apologies then, I did not see this specific scenario previously posted. I am collecting the parts for a stage two how ever was going to take my bike in for the clutch recall and was concerned about them becoming nosey.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

If you had an fp3 on the bike your warranty is toast unless the dealer chooses not to report. You can flash it with the se tuner all you want however the electronic “do not temper” fuse is blown.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruizer40

Apologies then, I did not see this specific scenario previously posted. I am collecting the parts for a stage two how ever was going to take my bike in for the clutch recall and was concerned about them becoming nosey.
they just might..when i took mine in for the recall they snapped a pic of the vin on the frame but that doesn't mean much under the circumstance..but at this point build it how you want and enjoy it !!

Old 12-31-2018, 12:59 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hd589
If you had an fp3 on the bike your warranty is toast unless the dealer chooses not to report. You can flash it with the se tuner all you want however the electronic “do not temper” fuse is blown.
say what? I’m sorry but I don’t believe an fp3 or PV do anything different than what the se unit does. They all flash the ecm. If there was such a thing as a “do not tamper” fuse it would blow when the se tuner flashes. I run a PV tune and flash back to se tuner when in for service. Had head gasket replaced last week under warranty with no issues. For reference I live in Phoenix and have zero relationships with any dealers so it’s not like they are doing me a favor.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hd589
Don’t know about a fuse but everything I’ve read on here says the dealer will know if you have an aftermarket tuner when they plug in themselves during service. Just my 2 cents...

Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

My dealer told me for warranty claims, HD wants a photo of the ECM calibration ID displayed on the screen of the digital technician, and that’s it. So technically if a SEPST tune was flashed prior to bringing it in, that would pass inspection.

Note that is what I was *told* - I have no first hand experience with this.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I had a dealer tech look at my bike, and he said that he could tell that it had been tuned and that it was tuned with the Harley tuner.

Does using the Harley tuner overwrite and mask the use of a different tuner? Only Harley knows. If someone wants to verify for sure, we would need:
1) someone whose warranty is already voided
2) that same someone having both the SEPST and an aftermarket tuner
3) a cooperative dealer technician who would agree to test for the presence of what tuner may have been used.

Any volunteers?

Also, even if you passed this test, there's no guarantee that Harley themselves don't have more tools available to them that might be able to detect more than the local service technician can.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I don’t know. They are using the same digital technician they had since before 2017, right? Before the consent decree? Before anyone cared if a non-HD tune was flashed. I find it unlikely they had Delphi redesign their ECM’s in 2017 to log and differentiate between OEM and aftermarket tunes. Or maybe that functionality was already there. Who knows.

Harley doesn’t want to void warranties, it’s really bad for their reputation and for business. Dealers don’t want to void warranties, they will lose customers. Harley DOES want to comply with the letter of the settlement they made with the EPA though, to avoid additional fines. So if some mope rolls into a dealer with a power vision, TTS or FP3 tune and tries for a warranty claim, yes they are screwed. But I really doubt they are going to go fishing. The dealer wants the warranty claim, they get paid for it. If they void your warranty, it’s likely you’ll tell to go F themselves and go to an Indy for all future work. They don’t want that.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the way it is.

All that dealer tech saw was the calibration ID. If that was a SE ID, then as far as he knows yep, it was tuned with a Harley tuner.

Dealer techs aren’t engineers. They know what they are taught, and what they observe and learn from experience. If you had an aftermarket tune in there, he’d see a different value in that field. That’s all he sees.

Again, this is just my interpretation based on the information I have found.

Last edited by Mchad; 12-31-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Warranty/ Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner