Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

Strange "deposit" found in air cleaner

 
  #21  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM
cruisinmann's Avatar
cruisinmann
cruisinmann is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 445
Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Instead of putting that bottle in your a/c just drill a hole in backing plate and run hose down to bottom of frame. Done no more crap going in Throttle body no cans to empty
 
  #22  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM
jlombard
jlombard is offline
Supporter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Tried that you will find that crap on saddlebags mufflers wheel you name it you will find it there. Been there done that.
 
  #23  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Gary1
Gary1 is online now
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baytown, Texas
Posts: 239
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jlombard View Post
Tried that you will find that crap on saddlebags mufflers wheel you name it you will find it there. Been there done that.
Yeah that's why I used the pill bottle instead. I have to empty it about every couple hundred miles. No big deal for me.
 
  #24  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 PM
mjwebb's Avatar
mjwebb
mjwebb is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 5,447
Received 1,847 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
Yeah that's why I used the pill bottle instead. I have to empty it about every couple hundred miles. No big deal for me.
we ride long trips, 1000, 1500, 2000 miles...that would suck for me to have to take the air cleaner off and empty it 5-10 times
 
The following users liked this post:
LXT (01-12-2019)
  #25  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM
FLTRI17
FLTRI17 is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,429
Received 282 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

I think if you simply keep the venting as designed you will not find it run any different. IME there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of moisture entering an engine. They even make water injection kits to address high compression and boosted applications.
You are looking at a sitting, developed puddle that would never have happened if the breather tubes were installed into the intakes as designed.
Humidity and temperature differentials create moisture. Collecting and disposing of the moisture rather than letting the engine injest It is simply not necessary because the moisture evaporates instantly from the high heat in the intake ports and valve. And there is so little oil in the brew it it has no affect.
Bob.
 

Last edited by FLTRI17; 01-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLTRI17:
mjwebb (01-11-2019), Warrant (01-12-2019)
  #26  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Gary1
Gary1 is online now
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baytown, Texas
Posts: 239
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mjwebb View Post
we ride long trips, 1000, 1500, 2000 miles...that would suck for me to have to take the air cleaner off and empty it 5-10 times
You might be able to get a thousand out of it.
 
  #27  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM
mjwebb's Avatar
mjwebb
mjwebb is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 5,447
Received 1,847 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
You might be able to get a thousand out of it.
honestly I've never bothered with it and have subscribed to FLTR117 opinion above..I think it's an exaggerated perception and real world non issue, certainly not worth the trouble to me anyway. just not something anyone I know of has ever done and ride with plenty of long time owners with high mileage bikes. as mentioned, the amount we see in these pics would be time released so to speak in small increments and evaporated...is it better to have none than some going into your engine, of course, does it really make a significant difference when it does, I'm not buying into that..not worth the hassle or worry imo..Harley owners are a fickle bunch and fuss over too much stuff..I also think some spend too much time chug a lugging these and need to not be afraid to 'blow the carbon out' often
 

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-12-2019 at 12:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
FIT4DUTY (01-12-2019), Warrant (01-12-2019)
  #28  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 AM
jlombard
jlombard is offline
Supporter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I run my oil 3/4 low on the dipstick on jiffy stand and I will get a oil mist in the bottom if my stock air cleaner, that's 25 dollars every 1,000 miles give or take plus fuel milage goes down. I know I can get a stage one kit and clean my filter. I'm keeping this bike stock. Catch a can takes care of that problem plus that oily mist is a form of acid you are putting in your combustion. Same reason you change your oil before you put it up for winter.
 
  #29  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Gary1
Gary1 is online now
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baytown, Texas
Posts: 239
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

I was getting too much oil mix in the air cleaner housing and it was dripping out on the cam cover. Just way too messy for me.
 
  #30  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 AM
OldMike's Avatar
OldMike
OldMike is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland Zoo
Posts: 2,481
Received 187 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mjwebb View Post
honestly I've never bothered with it and have subscribed to FLTR117 opinion above..I think it's an exaggerated perception and real world non issue, certainly not worth the trouble to me anyway. just not something anyone I know of has ever done and ride with plenty of long time owners with high mileage bikes. as mentioned, the amount we see in these pics would be time released so to speak in small increments and evaporated...is it better to have none than some going into your engine, of course, does it really make a significant difference when it does, I'm not buying into that..not worth the hassle or worry imo..Harley owners are a fickle bunch and fuss over too much stuff..I also think some spend too much time chug a lugging these and need to not be afraid to 'blow the carbon out' often
Some people seem to have issues.
I've never had a problem with excess dripping oil, I keep the oil level in the middle of the range. I've read some smart guys here and elsewhere, engine builder and tuner types, that don't pay attention to this "issue".
My bike is new now, I'm going to use the stock venting and keep an eye on it. I have an opened mind so if I have this excess dripping problem I'll do the fix. If the engine eats it without leaving a mess, I'll probably never know.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: