Sponsored by:

The Perfect Day

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR65
Gotta, here in ontario, at that temp. u could run endless miles and never have to worry about cleaning the windshield.We just have sand and salt all over the roads.
No cattle, pig or horse trailers up there? Nothing like a stock trailer full of cattle all pissing at once at 70 mph. Following 200 yards behind ain't near enough. Makes a mess

Last night actually wasn't too bad, about 1/4 mile of 190 between Woodville and Livingston near the Indian Reservation was the only issue. Hit a swarm of tiny knats.

Last edited by Cbyway; 01-13-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

Ya , we have cattle, pig and horse trailers up here, problem being, we cant ride this time of year. The knats i would sacrifice for.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:16 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SMR65
Ya , we have cattle, pig and horse trailers up here, problem being, we cant ride this time of year. The knats i would sacrifice for.
I hear ya, didn't think about the weather y'all are enduring up there. Take for granted our mild winters I reckon.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:13 AM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Atleast it didn`t spoil a great day visiting your family.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
I love your avatar!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

*UPDATE*

Took the bike to the shop today, about a 50 minute ride (in the rain). By the time I got there the leak had gotten worse. Dropped it off, drove home. Got a text from the service manager saying they had cleaned the bike up and determined it had a head gasket leak. Was up on the rack being repaired. So we will see.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:11 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
*UPDATE*

Took the bike to the shop today, about a 50 minute ride (in the rain). By the time I got there the leak had gotten worse. Dropped it off, drove home. Got a text from the service manager saying they had cleaned the bike up and determined it had a head gasket leak. Was up on the rack being repaired. So we will see.
Hope they get the bike all squared away. And more importantly , hope its one and done.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Hope they get the bike all squared away. And more importantly , hope its one and done.
Me too. I could understand a rocker cover gasket leaking. But a head gasket? Every head gasket leak I ever saw just seeped a little oil and sucked air in and there was huge performance loss. This thing was running perfectly. Have no idea what caused it.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Just spoke to the service manager. He said my bike will be ready at noon and for sure it was a blown head gasket. I asked him what caused this. He said, Probably not anything you could do to prevent, he has seen about a dozen faulty ones since the M8's came out. He did say not letting the bike warm up properly could be a factor but I always let it warm up until it idles down to 950 RPM's, then ride slow and easy for the first few miles.

He asked if I do a lot of engine braking? I responded of course I engine brake with rev matching, but I don't skip gears on the downshift where the engine over revs. Is this a common problem? I've never blown a head gasket on a motorcycle, car or truck. I know head gaskets on vehicles blow due to excessive heat or poor cooling system.

I am puzzled is all. I don't beat on this bike. Maybe it was just defective?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

i never use my brakes... mines probably next!

Glad you got squared away.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Picked the bike up today, all is good. One day turn around for a blown head gasket was excellent. Only complaint something was rattling all the way home. Had to tighten three exhaust clamps that were left loose. Should have just told them not to wash it. Looks like they used dishwater. I ain't complaining, just saying. Geez, where is the pride? I'll detail it this weekend after the cold snap passes. Gonna be 33* this weekend.

Quick Reply: The Perfect Day