Sponsored by:

Transfer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,748 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
This is a valid question, it would have been nice to see if just machining the drain in the clutch cover would have eliminated the problem, drod would it be possible to plug the vent for a ride or two to see if the transfer was stopped with only modifying the clutch cover. Glad you got your transfer fixed, but would be nice to know if you need to do both procedures to accomplish it.
I have offered to send a relieved side cover to a few members to see if it would stop transferring without changing the pushrod. So far no takers. I would like someone who is having a severe problem to try it so that it would prove the relieved side cover was the reason it quit if it does.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:37 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Do you think the way that drod relieved his would be enough to drain the fluid away from the clutch pushrod? I've got 41K on my 17 RG & as stated above have only transferred a few oz a couple of times. It's never been off the dipstick, just down to the bottom at worst, some others have opened up that area on the clutch cover, but I don't think anyone has done just that mod on a M8, I might try it some rainy day, not too worried about the amount of loss I'm seeing.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Do you think the way that drod relieved his would be enough to drain the fluid away from the clutch pushrod? I've got 41K on my 17 RG & as stated above have only transferred a few oz a couple of times. It's never been off the dipstick, just down to the bottom at worst, some others have opened up that area on the clutch cover, but I don't think anyone has done just that mod on a M8, I might try it some rainy day, not too worried about the amount of loss I'm seeing.
It won’t take more than a couple minutes with a burr bit to knock out the whole barrier. In my picture it is machined for the seal, but the relief I cut for drainage only took a couple minutes to do. You’ll spend more time securing the side cover in a vice than relieving it. For you with the little bit of transfer you’re experiencing I’m pretty sure it would stop it.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I have offered to send a relieved side cover to a few members to see if it would stop transferring without changing the pushrod. So far no takers. I would like someone who is having a severe problem to try it so that it would prove the relieved side cover was the reason it quit if it does.
I've seen your side cover offer a number of times. I'd like to help you out as a test bed, but I don't think I'd be a good candidate. I know you're looking for one that has a substantial transfer issue. Mine is fairly minimal and has occurred only twice. I'm not yet sure if it will be ongoing or worsen.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

I just jumped in on this thread, don't feel like reading tech right now. Lemme get this right, THE FLUID MIGRATES FROM THE TRANNY TO THE PRIMARY, CORRECT? Asking so all I gotta do is look for tranny level to go down. Thanx in advance.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Rusty Anodyne Barrus
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$tonecold, I’m interested in one of your transfer fix kits and was wondering if you had more available? I’m new on the forum so I can’t PM you.
Originally Posted by $tonecold

I have a couple kits left if you want one, but you won’t be able to pm me until you have 25 posts. The fat clutch rod has been reported to work by those that have tried it. It is less expensive than my fix and easier to install. If I was having the problem I would go with the clutch rod because of the reasons I just gave you.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
I just jumped in on this thread, don't feel like reading tech right now. Lemme get this right, THE FLUID MIGRATES FROM THE TRANNY TO THE PRIMARY, CORRECT? Asking so all I gotta do is look for tranny level to go down. Thanx in advance.
You don't have a touring bike w/hydraulic clutch. Not affected.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

So cable actuated clutch bikes have zero migration issues, correct?

Old 03-30-2019, 02:35 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
So cable actuated clutch bikes have zero migration issues, correct?
The only one I know of that was reported to migrate was guy that was parking the bike in a shed so small he had to lean the bike against the side of the shed on the right side. As the primary cooled and contracted it sucked transmission oil into the primary. Pretty wild! Anyway, he start parking the bike on its side stand and everything was alright. So to answer your question, to my knowledge cable actuated clutch models don't transfer.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Has anyone thought about drilling and taping the primary side cover and putting a 90 degree fitting on there and running a small vacuum hose vent line up the frame?

Last edited by Gary1; 03-30-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer Issue