Sponsored by:

SE torque cam-Fuel Moto-Discount ESP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts
Default SE torque cam-Fuel Moto-Discount ESP

Haven't posted anything significant in a minute.........took a break to avoid the sumping threads even though I've ridden from NC to Key West, etc problem free

17 Ultra Limited, Decat stock header, Street Cannons, pro tuner...........but just added Stage II torque Cam, Power Vision and ESP plan

So, here is what's been going on with me
*Purchased ESP from Jim Palmer November 16, 2018 just days before my factory warranty expired (yes, sumping is still in my head). I purchased my bike Nov 2016.
*Purchased Power Vision from Jamie (Fuel Moto) and downloaded his stage 1 map into my bike. Yep, there was a huge difference, mainly being throttle response and my 3rd-5th gear felt sooooo much better. Pulled hard in those gears. I had the pro tuner beforehand and I'm telling you, there was a difference.

*Purchased Stage 2 torque cam/adjustable pushrods, Required: Oil pump cover, etc. The dealerships were offering 15% off labor + 15% off parts
*Had Jamie send me a map for stage 2 torque cam, saved it to the PV and gave it to the tech as a starting point. Yes, I opted for a dyno!!!

*Tech called and said my bike sumped on the dyno. I sent PMs to several ppl on the forum because I didn't want to be THAT GUY posting about another sump. (EDIT: I wanted to wait until things were fixed, but in the meanwhile talk to some guys privately--in hopes that I could come give a complete picture AFTER I was back on the road and good to go) After all, that's why I took a break from the forum. I had a short convo with Steve Cole, mjwebb, and $tonecold as well as Jamie at Fuel Moto just to hear the latest sump conversations going on in the forum. Tech told me the bike was sluggish and wasn't pulling 'right' on the dyno and he felt it was taking too long per run. So he did the standard measuring of oil from sensor opening and informed it needed the new oil pump. I used a qt of oil last summer on my Miami trip and they said it was normal--that was the only previous issue I had seen.

*So I'm pissed because of the money I have to pay for this work to be done...parts and labor, but I gave them my ESP card and ................ESP covered the pump and labor. I can't recall the total price (receipt is at home). But I paid $900+ for 2 years of coverage and I swear, they paid about $700ish just for that one job.

* As you know, some of the labor is identical with replacing oil pump vs installing cam. I'll just leave it at that

*I rode it a few hundred miles and the push rods were a tad 'greasy' from day 1........sounds better than saying, they were leaking. Tech replaced the O rings and now all is well with them. I'm headed to Miami in April, so I've been pushing the bike a bit harder than I usually ride just to make sure all is well. So far, all is great

**My HP jumped 10 to around 92/93. My torque shockingly only jumped about 8 to around 108/109 (I know all dynos are different--previous stage 1 dyno was at another dealer last summer) This tuner admitted BEFORE tuning that he prefers the conservative approach and I was fine with that. There was another tuner who gets much higher numbers. He showed me dynos of 'like' bikes getting 117lbs torque. I'm actually OK with where I am right now......especially when that tuner only brags about peak numbers and there is no discussion about anything else. Some will say I could have gotten better..........but I'm 100% happy with the way this thing pulls now. And I swear the sound is a little louder/deeper by M8 standards. (I don't have the dyno sheet, but I'm not that guy exclaiming to have 120lbs off of a SE stage 2 and stock headers. If I can find the sheet, I'll post it--I think I left it when we were comparing sheets).

But the torque stays above 100 a lot longer than before. I was shocked to even see how long it stayed above 90 before dropping lower.....the curve was much more subtle on its decline. The HP gain was a very pleasant surprise from the Torque Cam. For me, it was money well spent and I can feel a heck of a difference. I also realized I must be a whimp since I left my crotch rocket days.....I've been pushing this thing over 5K rpms and I really can't think of any situations where I would do that often. But she sure pulls hard and long from 3K all the way THROUGH 5k+

All of that to say ........Kudos to Jim Palmer and ESP, Kudos to Jamie and Fuel Moto, and I'm extremely happy with my conservative SE Torque Cam. And the sumping thing ........who knows--I never had an issue, but I have a new oil pump. I'm approaching 10K miles on the scoot ........that's with nearly a year of it being parked when I first bought it because of some family obligations..

Last edited by sfcmo357; 02-27-2019 at 12:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sfcmo357:
cmashark (02-28-2019), MTBIG G (02-27-2019), Xcrossbow (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
Haven't posted anything significant in a minute.........took a break to avoid the sumping threads even though I've ridden from NC to Key West, etc problem free

17 Ultra Limited, Decat stock header, Street Cannons, pro tuner...........but just added Stage II torque Cam, Power Vision and ESP plan

So, here is what's been going on with me
*Purchased ESP from Jim Palmer November 16, 2018 just days before my factory warranty expired (yes, sumping is still in my head). I purchased my bike Nov 2016.
*Purchased Power Vision from Jamie (Fuel Moto) and downloaded his stage 1 map into my bike. Yep, there was a huge difference, mainly being throttle response and my 3rd-5th gear felt sooooo much better. Pulled hard in those gears. I had the pro tuner beforehand and I'm telling you, there was a difference.

*Purchased Stage 2 torque cam/adjustable pushrods, Required: Oil pump cover, etc. The dealerships were offering 15% off labor + 15% off parts
*Had Jamie send me a map for stage 2 torque cam, saved it to the PV and gave it to the tech as a starting point. Yes, I opted for a dyno!!!

*Tech called and said my bike sumped on the dyno. I sent PMs to several ppl on the forum because I didn't want to be THAT GUY posting about another sump. After all, that's why I took a break from the forum. I had a short convo with Steve Cole, mjwebb, and $tonecold as well as Jamie at Fuel Moto just to hear the latest sump conversations going on in the forum. Tech told me the bike was sluggish and wasn't pulling 'right' on the dyno and he felt it was taking too long per run. So he did the standard measuring of oil from sensor opening and informed it needed the new oil pump. I used a qt of oil last summer on my Miami trip and they said it was normal--that was the only previous issue I had seen.

*So I'm pissed because of the money I have to pay for this work to be done...parts and labor, but I gave them my ESP card and ................ESP covered the pump and labor. I can't recall the total price (receipt is at home). But I paid $900+ for 2 years of coverage and I swear, they paid about $700ish just for that one job.

* As you know, some of the labor is identical with replacing oil pump vs installing cam. I'll just leave it at that

*I rode it a few hundred miles and the push rods were a tad 'greasy' from day 1........sounds better than saying, they were leaking. Tech replaced the O rings and now all is well with them. I'm headed to Miami in April, so I've been pushing the bike a bit harder than I usually ride just to make sure all is well. So far, all is great

**My HP jumped 10 to around 92/93. My torque shockingly only jumped about 8 to around 108/109 (I know all dynos are different--previous stage 1 dyno was at another dealer last summer) This tuner admitted BEFORE tuning that he prefers the conservative approach and I was fine with that. There was another tuner who gets much higher numbers. He showed me dynos of 'like' bikes getting 117lbs torque. I'm actually OK with where I am right now......especially when that tuner only brags about peak numbers and there is no discussion about anything else. Some will say I could have gotten better..........but I'm 100% happy with the way this thing pulls now. And I swear the sound is a little louder/deeper by M8 standards. (I don't have the dyno sheet, but I'm not that guy exclaiming to have 120lbs off of a SE stage 2 and stock headers. If I can find the sheet, I'll post it--I think I left it when we were comparing sheets).

But the torque stays above 100 a lot longer than before. I was shocked to even see how long it stayed above 90 before dropping lower.....the curve was much more subtle on its decline. The HP gain was a very pleasant surprise from the Torque Cam. For me, it was money well spent and I can feel a heck of a difference. I also realized I must be a whimp since I left my crotch rocket days.....I've been pushing this thing over 5K rpms and I really can't think of any situations where I would do that often. But she sure pulls hard and long from 3K all the way THROUGH 5k+

All of that to say ........Kudos to Jim Palmer and ESP, Kudos to Jamie and Fuel Moto, and I'm extremely happy with my conservative SE Torque Cam. And the sumping thing ........who knows--I never had an issue, but I have a new oil pump. I'm approaching 10K miles on the scoot ........that's with nearly a year of it being parked when I first bought it because of some family obligations..
You seemed really concerned about what people think of you.. Why are you worried about being that guy?? Sumping is a problem. The more people post the more people know and learn about the problem. Let's stop pretending like its this super rare thing that never happens... By the way, my bike sumped at 1800 miles, motor replaced, sumped one more time but I let it idle and cleared up quickly, traded bike at 11k. In that time I rode the hell out of it and had no more problems. So if yours sumps again just pull over and let it idle for some minutes and you'll probably be ok.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xupd42bmg
You seemed really concerned about what people think of you.. Why are you worried about being that guy?? Sumping is a problem. The more people post the more people know and learn about the problem. Let's stop pretending like its this super rare thing that never happens... By the way, my bike sumped at 1800 miles, motor replaced, sumped one more time but I let it idle and cleared up quickly, traded bike at 11k. In that time I rode the hell out of it and had no more problems. So if yours sumps again just pull over and let it idle for some minutes and you'll probably be ok.
And this is why I hate this forum. Forum interpretations.........you're telling me I'm concerned about what ppl think of me. No Sir, I just didn't want to post another Sump thread while everyone waited for me to come back with the updates every day. It's how I chose to handle my situation. I wanted to have some private conversations with some ppl I thought I could be 'adults' with instead of posting a sumping thread that would turn into Harleys suck, go buy a Honda........and then I would have to sift through pages of crap to find the posts I really needed. So, no sir, I don't care about what anyone thinks about me. I just chose not to post about it until I had some grown up one-on-one conversations and I wanted to wait until it was fixed so that I could also offer up something positive IN MY SITUATION. I didn't post about it early on because watch what happens to this thread I just created ........it'll get derailed and ppl will argue to the point of being rude

but you be blessed, ride safe and all that good stuff.

BTW, my Cam, Power Vision, and ESP are doing great for me and thank you for the advice about pulling over (seriously, thank you)

What did you trade in and what did you get?

Last edited by sfcmo357; 02-27-2019 at 12:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sfcmo357:
Fullbore55 (02-27-2019), MTBIG G (02-27-2019), Steve N, (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

In fear of being psychoanalyzed by forum geniuses, I hesitate to say, I find all this information very useful and I thank the OP for posting it.

On a related note, my favorite color is red. What does it mean?

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
cmashark (02-28-2019), dcfatboy (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Thanks for posting your experience with Discount ESP! I bought a four-year extension from them based on all the good reviews, but it's always good to hear from someone who had success with the product I bought.

Sorry to hear of your sumping experience, and glad to hear you are happy with where you're at now.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Livewire77
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear it worked out for you. I purchased the longest plan I could from Jim. I just wanted to be covered. Well written and good info. I don't blame you for waiting and putting all on one post.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
steveg56
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like your dealer covered everything under warranty even though you were running a powervision. Is that correct?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by steveg56
Sounds like your dealer covered everything under warranty even though you were running a powervision. Is that correct?
If I understood correctly, the factory warranty was already expired. The aftermarket extended warranty covered the repairs, and this particular extended warranty company has already said that use of an aftermarket tuner is fine with them.

The following users liked this post:
cmashark (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
If I understood correctly, the factory warranty was already expired. The aftermarket extended warranty covered the repairs, and this particular extended warranty company has already said that use of an aftermarket tuner is fine with them.
Correct. Factory warranty expired in Nov, days after I purchased the ESP. I used the ESP for the oil pump repair. I never thought, for once, this ESP was concerned about a tuner. I spoke with Jim at Discount ESP before I purchased this from him. Those guys who bought the “Harley” one may be questioned.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Awesome post glad it all worked out for you. Good to know Palmer will cover a motor with a AFT tuner installed. Don't forget that sheep skin when you head south.lol

Quick Reply: SE torque cam-Fuel Moto-Discount ESP