Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   oil pump on se stage 3? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1274203-oil-pump-on-se-stage-3-a.html)

wheelock4 03-09-2019 07:26 AM

oil pump on se stage 3?

hear a lot about sumping on first m8s out. mine rebuilt at tech center in milwaukee to se stage 3. I was told when they do se stage 3 they use a bigger oil pump. can anyone confirm this or was I being fed a line of ?????. by the way mine is 2017 and cam out in 2016 as demo. no problems yet though. 15000 miles.

Cazador 03-09-2019 07:49 AM

Do you have a parts list for your build? That's the only way to know what they put in your bike.

GlidingJoe 03-09-2019 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by annibel (Post 18092174)
hear a lot about sumping on first m8s out. mine rebuilt at tech center in milwaukee to se stage 3. I was told when they do se stage 3 they use a bigger oil pump. can anyone confirm this or was I being fed a line of ?????. by the way mine is 2017 and cam out in 2016 as demo. no problems yet though. 15000 miles.

No there was not a larger oil pump installed. Harley did not, nor do they presently, have but one size oil pump for these. They have since your build, had many revisions to the pump and even now include a seal to assist w stopping the Sumping issue, the verdict is still out.
I too have a first release '17 CVO with a Stage lll build. I also had a the issue when the M8 First rolled out with the oil pump relief having the debri in it from the vendor, jamming open the relief valve and losing oil pressure. Thankfully nothing was damaged and like you, fortunately I have not sumped.

wheelock4 03-09-2019 09:35 AM

well that sums that up on pump. would like to do as cazador says but there is no paper work or documentation on upgrade so cant see what was done or put in motor. will forever remain a mystery bike. I guess all I can do is ride and hope for the best.

Agoober 03-09-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by annibel (Post 18092513)
well that sums that up on pump. would like to do as cazador says but there is no paper work or documentation on upgrade so cant see what was done or put in motor. will forever remain a mystery bike. I guess all I can do is ride and hope for the best.

Go back and demand the paperwork, it has all the part numbers on it , and you should of been given it anyway.

Peace

QAfred 03-09-2019 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by annibel (Post 18092174)

This is what you get on stage III M8 kit.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....ed/2017_SE.pdf

Peter Quinn 03-09-2019 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by annibel (Post 18092513)

A new pump isn't guaranteed to cure Sumping.The best pump is the one in your bike that hasn't sumped and probably never will! Forget the paranoia and just ride!

GlidingJoe 03-10-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn (Post 18094004)
A new pump isn't guaranteed to cure Sumping.The best pump is the one in your bike that hasn't sumped and probably never will! Forget the paranoia and just ride!

Exactly!!! Unless you're replacing for other reasons, leave well enough alone and go enjoy the ride!

wheelock4 03-10-2019 08:22 AM

to agoober. there is nothing to go back for. upgrade was done at tech center in Milwaukee and there are no records or anything entered in computer under my vin to show it. dozens of posters have told me they are suppose to do that but it wasn't done and I have called the customer service center in Milwaukee many times with same results. huge difference between what they should do and what they did. they verbaly say they did it but offer no paperwork. my loss.

GlidingJoe 03-10-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by annibel (Post 18094358)
to agoober. there is nothing to go back for. upgrade was done at tech center in Milwaukee and there are no records or anything entered in computer under my vin to show it. dozens of posters have told me they are suppose to do that but it wasn't done and I have called the customer service center in Milwaukee many times with same results. huge difference between what they should do and what they did. they verbaly say they did it but offer no paperwork. my loss.

annibel, when was your Stage lll kit installed on your 114"?