Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M3 Ventilator - possible help from sumping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default M3 Ventilator - possible help from sumping?

Anyone heard of or tried this product?
A1cycles.net
It replaces your dipstick.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:23 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

On another thread I mentioned somebody would eventually do this. Well... here we are. ha

Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

The guys that make it claim the motor cannot breathe enough through the air cleaner and breather bolts, which causes the oil to froth up and stop circulating. It needs additional venting which they do right through filler cap. Theres a video on their website or FB page.

Last edited by Road Star; 03-18-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

not a bad idea, can't hurt to try..but can't help but go back to the same old question not sure I've ever heard a good answer for...if the M8 doesn't breathe 'well enough', then why are there 10's of thousands of them with tens of thousands of miles on them, that just don't 'suffer' from this malady? just throwing that out there...again

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
not a bad idea, can't hurt to try..but can't help but go back to the same old question not sure I've ever heard a good answer for...if the M8 doesn't breathe 'well enough', then why are there 10's of thousands of them with tens of thousands of miles on them, that just don't 'suffer' from this malady? just throwing that out there...again
Good point. Maybe the way its ridden - high rpms?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Good point. Maybe the way its ridden - high rpms?
or maybe it's more of the bigger bore high compression engines building more pressure that exacerbates the condition..dunno'..whatever the case I'd prefer to see one with a dipstick if it's somehow doable, not having to disconnect the hose and swap..and routing it on top the engine assuming the filter would eventually become saturated and seep I'm not liking, or having the hose possibly rub on the top end with the heat, etc...like I said, there's merit I'm sure to the relief it offers but seems like a hassle if not entirely necessary..sure someone will design/engineer an overall better mousetrap here

Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I don’t know about it sleeping with the tube routed so high above the oil tank. That would truly suck!unless I’m more concerned with the smell this thing might put out. Lol. Because my bike is a big bore setup that has sumped and I remember how much air pressure was in the oil tank the day it happened along with knowing that this type of venting is nothing new to Harely; even from the factory on some older models I’ve seen, I’m going to try it or something similar in hopes of a little more insurance to protect my investment.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 AM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't hurt,I just changed my break in oil on my new engine and when I I pulled the dip stick I couldn't believe how much pressure was built up

Old 03-19-2019, 03:46 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jonuphi
Can't hurt,I just changed my break in oil on my new engine and when I I pulled the dip stick I couldn't believe how much pressure was built up
Interesting. I always check my RGU oil with the motor at max possible temperature. Only after a good long ride. So the motor is fully heat soaked. I've never had any noticeable pressure release when pulling the dipstick. Bike is bone stock top-to-bottom, end-to-end. 16k miles.

Quick Reply: M3 Ventilator - possible help from sumping?