Sponsored by:

Preventative fix for sumping

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Mopower
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Yeah, I was kinda shocked. Had the part bought and was going to put it in during the recall and that's what they claimed. Book time maybe? Said it wouldn't really do any good anyway on a stock 107.
Perfect time to do performance cam !

Old 03-19-2019, 03:54 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
Perfect time to do performance cam !
Eh, it goes good enough for a 900 pound lead sled so I just put some mufflers on it and that's that. I scratch my go fast itch with my vette.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
guess i've always subscribed to if it ain't broke don't fix it, and cross that bridge if/when I get to it..not a fan of if it ain't broke, work on it until it is logic either.. by risking introducing unnecessary changes with undesirable results as well..oh well, to each his own as always I guess
Sometimes it's more about how these things make you feel than logic.

Like: If you feel your bike needs performance upgrades. Some do it and go in directions others wouldn't. These others might feel like if it's ain't broke don't fix it and won't want to risk undesirable results...
Some others might not like riding around on a bike that could potentially sump - the thought alone might make riding the bike unpleasant. So maybe putting in a seal which may lessen the potential of failure might make sense to that person - ease their minds.

Either way it's easy to sit back and judge the actions and motivations of others when you don't share their same convictions/concerns. Just don't confuse "judgement" with "wisdom". They are obviously not the same thing...

Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Sometimes it's more about how these things make you feel than logic.

Like: If you feel your bike needs performance upgrades. Some do it and go in directions others wouldn't. These others might feel like if it's ain't broke don't fix it and won't want to risk undesirable results...
Some others might not like riding around on a bike that could potentially sump - the thought alone might make riding the bike unpleasant. So maybe putting in a seal which may lessen the potential of failure might make sense to that person - ease their minds.

Either way it's easy to sit back and judge the actions and motivations of others when you don't share their same convictions/concerns. Just don't confuse "judgement" with "wisdom". They are obviously not the same thing...
yup, summarizes why I ended with "oh well, to each his own as always I guess"

Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

yup, summarizes why I ended with "oh well, to each his own as always I guess"
Kinda like saying, "Hey what you're saying is completely stupid and i know better" and then putting a at the end which is somehow supposed to make up for it.
Reads Passive-aggressive when I suspect most would appreciate plain old aggressive-aggressive instead.

see I just did it.

Last edited by lp; 03-19-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Kinda like saying, "Hey what you're saying is completely stupid and i know better" and then putting a at the end which is somehow supposed to make up for it.
Reads Passive-aggressive when I suspect most would appreciate plain old aggressive-aggressive instead.

see I just did it.

anyway, never intended to send the message anyone is stupid for wanting to investigate PM as having some merit...just seen soooo many posts now over 2 years of people coming here stating they are either afraid to take their perfectly fine bikes on long rides, and are worried sick about potential failure because of what they have read on the internet...OP was asking for suggestions to potentially prevent failure...just offering a counter opinion to save money and go with Vegas Odds that it isn't worth spending money on and worry about, just enjoy

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-19-2019 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep subscribe to if it ain't broke don't fix it cause a fool and his money are soon parted

Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

anyway, never intended to send the message anyone is stupid for wanting to investigate PM as having some merit...just seen soooo many posts now over 2 years of people coming here stating they are either afraid to take their perfectly fine bikes on long rides, and are worried sick about potential failure because of what they have read on the internet...OP was asking for suggestions to potentially prevent failure...just offering a counter opinion to save money and go with Vegas Odds that it isn't worth spending money on and worry about, just enjoy
It's called gatekeeping. What you're doing. Not answering the OP's question. Instead questioning their fears etc. Trying to persuade them out of their fears (rarely works). It's wasted effort.
It's interesting to me as well that people are THAT afraid of some stuff brought up on internet forums that they won't ride their bike but it's also interesting to watch their own convictions change over time... given time.

Knew a guy once that spent hours typing out the reasons why people are wasting their money on any mods at all. Harley did it best, why change it.
Months later he got a stage 1 mod. Spent hours typing out why it was so great, but he would go no further, no need to. Dyno tuning was a waste of money.
Months later he Dyno tuned his bike. Spent hours typing out why it was the greatest thing in the world...

Point is, the best you can do is educate and hope they get it. 5 posts in one thread sharing your view on things and not answering the OPs question isn't educating typically. It's just a beating and more aptly described as gatekeeping.

BTW, reddit has some updated memes. 1000's made daily.

The following users liked this post:
liberty.mike (03-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
It's called gatekeeping. What you're doing. Not answering the OP's question. Instead questioning their fears etc. Trying to persuade them out of their fears (rarely works). It's wasted effort.
It's interesting to me as well that people are THAT afraid of some stuff brought up on internet forums that they won't ride their bike but it's also interesting to watch their own convictions change over time... given time.

Knew a guy once that spent hours typing out the reasons why people are wasting their money on any mods at all. Harley did it best, why change it.
Months later he got a stage 1 mod. Spent hours typing out why it was so great, but he would go no further, no need to. Dyno tuning was a waste of money.
Months later he Dyno tuned his bike. Spent hours typing out why it was the greatest thing in the world...

Point is, the best you can do is educate and hope they get it. 5 posts in one thread sharing your view on things and not answering the OPs question isn't educating typically. It's just a beating and more aptly described as gatekeeping.

BTW, reddit has some updated memes. 1000's made daily.
guess I'm just on the other end of the doom and gloom is looming Pendulum

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 593 Posts

I hope it doesn’t happen, but it would be ironic if you went all this time without sumping and then your engine sumped after swapping out the pumps.

Quick Reply: Preventative fix for sumping